Listening to the Solstice

Pardon me whilst I stuff a lunchtime sandwich down my gullet at work and spray crumbs at you over the keyboard....

On 11/17/2018 at 12:15 PM, perdu said:

Whatever you have to do, do

but for godssake chap be happy in yourself and beware any projects that try to take over your life!

Will do Bill and thanks. :thumbsup2:

I won't say that things are taking me towards the 'sunlit uplands'  - which always seem to remain at the same finite distance anyway - but there is much satisfaction and personal growth to be had in current undertakings.

Now, if I could only find some way to get brass to be part of the process.... :laugh:

On 11/17/2018 at 12:43 PM, hendie said:

we'll still be here bickering over the hobnobs and irn bru

A modelling nation at ease with itself then.... :winkgrin:

On 11/17/2018 at 3:39 PM, corsaircorp said:

If everything is going well for you, and if it's your choosen path, that's just right, sad but right !

So let's wait for the next annie's instalment !!

Installments there will be CC, though not of the regularity and depth I would wish.

How's yer Christmas shopping going? 😉

On 11/17/2018 at 6:50 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

This site used to have such high standards....

I must have been absent that day and missed it Pete. 👨‍⚖️

On 11/17/2018 at 6:50 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Tony, take your time and stay in good health.

Just leave the key under the mat & we'll come in and dust from time to time.

Just let me hide the advocat and twiglets first. I know you lot....

On 11/17/2018 at 7:02 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That’s the first time in history that a non-Scot has described Irn Bru as “positive”.  Trust me on this one, Giorgio; never, ever try the stuff.  It is evil.

Oh I say that's just brutal Crisp - I must respectfully demur!

Having mis-spent part of my student days in Glasgow in the 80s (weirdly squatting part of the time in a professional golfer's flat with a Tartan-themed bar - I kid you not) I can confirm that after a night on the 'heavy', only Irnbru laced with brandy & black pepper was able to return me to the living the next morning. That and haggis fried up with a slice of fruit cake...

On 11/17/2018 at 7:02 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Bonkers and brilliant, Tony.  If I wore a bone dome these days it would be duly doffed.

One endeavours to provide satisfaction sir. 

jeeves-stpehen-fry.jpg

On 11/17/2018 at 7:23 PM, Terry1954 said:

Excellent reading Tony!

Delighted you think so Terry - as a Babe in Steamland I'm still scratching around for references, though yet to find anything remotely resembling plans.

By coincidence I was having lunch over in Howth yesterday with an aunt of mine who has custody of TBMB ('the big metal box') full of family photographs. She's reckons there are photos of Driver Edwards and his other engines in there somewhere so must have a rummage next time I'm back in Blighty.

On 11/17/2018 at 8:08 PM, corsaircorp said:

Now, I want to try Irn Bru.... Really evil ?? How many volts in it ?

Pay no heed to the doubters CC, it is a refreshingly sweet elixir, not unlike drinking a sunset.

On 11/17/2018 at 8:14 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony

If you are wanting to build a Kit of the D1 look at Southeastern Finecast website they do splendid models of locos in white metal and etch chassis.  There is an oo gauge kit of the D1.  I have their oo gauge Wainwright H class 0-4-4 tank engine to do in my stash . 

There is a  cracking site to have a look at other model railway stuff. Look at RMWeb.  

Much obliged for those pearls Chris! :thanks:

The SR D1 looks most pukka over at the Finecast site, though pricewise I may have a prolonged internal debate...

On 11/17/2018 at 8:19 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Goats are taxed in Ireland and must display a licence plate.

That's why you see cars driving around here with 'N' plates on them Pete. English people readily fall for the lie that it is to indicate 'novice' drivers who have reacently passed their test but are still on probation, when in fact it stands for 'Not Goat', thus avoiding what had once been a huge goat/car recognition issue.

On 11/17/2018 at 8:25 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Imagine drinking lemonade from a rusty tin.

They breed 'em tough in Lincs....

What's wrong with Brasso I ask you? Filtered through a slice of white bread it complements a burnt sausage wonderfully.

On 11/17/2018 at 10:09 PM, keefr22 said:

That's the best description of the stuff I've ever seen! Although drinking lemonade from a rusty tin through a dirty straw would still taste better...

Just don't do a Fritag Tony....!!

I wasn't ware that young Steve was one for drinking from rusty tins tbh Keith. :yikes:

On 11/18/2018 at 12:00 AM, CedB said:

we all know you have to earn a crust so that you can afford Telford next year!

The Uk Brass Manufacturer's Guild had better up output, I'm bring an artic....

On 11/18/2018 at 7:46 AM, The Spadgent said:

A man cannot survive on plastic and brass alone

This of course was why the Soviet lunar program utlimately foundered on the rock of cosmonaut constipation.

On 11/18/2018 at 8:36 AM, limeypilot said:

Never mind, more for those of us who acquired the taste xx years ago!

Well spoken sir.

Defend the Cumbernauld Decoction to the last breath. 💪

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That and haggis fried up with a slice of fruit cake...

Fruit cake? or fruit pudding?  There's a difference y'know

Throw in a tattie scone and a slice of black pudding...   Dammit, now you've got me homesick again

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The SR D1 looks most pukka over at the Finecast site, though pricewise I may have a prolonged internal debate...

No debate.  Just 100% scratchbuild.  Simple!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I've never been quoted so much. I feel highly honored.

Well, except for that series of articles in the Gruniad.

But nothing was proven, and the Giant Panda refused to prefer charges.

Mind, I still have the tattoo and that Police Officers' patrol car keys.

• Haha 4

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:02, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That’s the first time in history that a non-Scot has described Irn Bru as “positive”.  Trust me on this one, Giorgio; never, ever try the stuff.  It is evil.

I was under the impression that chemical weapons have been banned in the UK for some decades now.

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Thank you gentlemen for the last few pages but especially the last 5 or so posts, the best entertainment & therapy I've had for ages. Money couldn't buy it. :)

Steve.

Now you should try some Irn Bru....

:rofl::rofl:

Ciao

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, giemme said:

Now you should try some Irn Bru....

:rofl::rofl:

Ciao

Just about the worst plan I have ever heard of!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Just about the worst plan I have ever heard of!

That is hopefully not worse than trying a german hot Glühbier, which made me sick or other things instantly. Really evil taste, when you like beer usually.

Gluehbier_get.jpg

Otherwise Scotland can look so smart. So I would like to taste Irn Bru. Can't be worse than that german Glühbier! Maybe castor oil on the rocks. Who knows.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 17/11/2018 at 03:52, TheBaron said:

dismal lack of pace

I can sympathise entirely. Being stuck in a lab thousands of miles from the hobby bench for the next two weeks isn't doing my Beaufort build much good. And I need to get it finished before Christmas, when Airfix will announce they are doing one in 2019...

(well, I can always hope)

Regards,

Adrian

[edit - just caught up on Irn Bru discussion. When I were a wee lad in the midlands the go-to coca-cola substitute was Dandelion and Burdock (nice) or Vimto (much better for anagrams). I have known some Scots getting very tetchy when challenged as to the relative virtues of their local drink vs the competition.]

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

As a regular visitor, I am the first to agree that Scotland is a beautiful place and has many things going for it. The trouble is that Irn Bru isn't one of them. I think that they have a large consignment of Vogon piddle that they are trying to offload onto the Sassenachs.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

22 hours ago, giemme said:

Now you should try some Irn Bru.

Luckily we can't get it out here & after reading the "reviews" I shan't bother applying for an import licence. ;)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

As a regular visitor, I am the first to agree that Scotland is a beautiful place and has many things going for it. The trouble is that Irn Bru isn't one of them.

Haha Martian. You won't quit and give up  till Irn Bru calls bankruptcy,  I think and I will never have had a taste on that, sadly!

Cheers

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Luckily we can't get it out here & after reading the "reviews" I shan't bother applying for an import licence. ;)

Steve.

I don't think you would get a licence anyway. Just think of the damage the stuff could do if it escaped into the New Zealand ecosystem.

Martian Ecowarrior 👽

• Haha 7

33 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Haha Martian. You won't quit and give up  till Irn Bru calls bankruptcy,  I think and I will never have had a taste on that, sadly!

Cheers

Seriously, don't be sad

Seriously

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

Cheers

I am trying to save you from yourself. Believe me, it is the most disgusting stuff ever concocted by man. :puke:I dread to think of what goes into it. 

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I am trying to save you from yourself

Yes, but one full spoon of it should be enough for me to try as I like cooking for myself and therefore I always have to try several things. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yes, but one full spoon of it should be enough for me to try as I like cooking for myself and therefore I always have to try several things. Cheers

I am reliably informed that one spoonful can kill up to fifty men in a nano-second. Still, its a free country, just don't come crying to us if you do try the stuff

The Wise Martian 👽

• Haha 5

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:16, TheBaron said:

Pardon me whilst I stuff a lunchtime sandwich down my gullet at work and spray crumbs at you over the keyboard....

You should know by now that this is the sort of thing that happens when you leave a thread unattended.

Martian

• Haha 5

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:16, TheBaron said:

Pay no heed to the doubters CC, it is a refreshingly sweet elixir, not unlike drinking a sunset.

Don't listen to him CC, you don't want that stuff in your alcohol stream. :nono:

Martian 👽

• Haha 3