Listening to the Solstice

That's nice isn't it? After all the nice things I have said about this build so far. Remember Telford is not that far away and I know what you look like!! :chair:

Miffed of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, perdu said:

I recall some chap saying he wasn't coming this year, maybe banking on that famous Martian short memory myth

He he

He'll be sorry...

I said I had been having doubts but had decided to go after all.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Lovely brass work Tony - I love it when a plan comes together :D 

What's that lump of stuff on the bench? Magic soldering putty? Or just wet paper towel?

• Thanks 1

I managed to squeeze in a little more Sunday evening and a bit more tonight so a quick update.

On 10/14/2018 at 12:53 PM, Spookytooth said:

The use of brass tubing/sheet should give the strength plus finesse to carry this out.

That's the idea Simon.

For sharpness at this scale I couldn't contemplate getting the same results from plastic...

On 10/14/2018 at 1:31 PM, corsaircorp said:

Now I also Wonder about the title of Martian's song… Faithfull Annie ??

Electronic warfare ?? Annie's going Sigint ? this late one sound good enough !!

I feel like I've just tuned into a late night heavy-metal station powering out of Belgium CC! 

Do you have a husky voice by any chance...?

On 10/14/2018 at 1:41 PM, hendie said:

coming along with no less finesse than we've come to expect from the Baronial ruminations

Most gracious hendacious one. :thumbsup2:

On 10/14/2018 at 2:23 PM, perdu said:

I am wondering about the 0.04 brass though, is it not a little high on the scale comparison scale scale?

On 10/14/2018 at 2:50 PM, keefr22 said:

as I was thinking the same thing!

Bill & Keith: please gents - no unwarranted immersion of noggins into said steaming vats! :laugh:

You are both correct of course in terms of the visual;  however, from tests I found that playing about with thinner than 0.4mm starts to play into the hands of the gods regarding a) sagginess of the cage-like structure involved, and more importantly perhaps b) having enough bond strength on the various soldered junctions, due to the very small surface area at the tips of 0.3mm tube. (The alternative is to have unpleasingly large blobs of solder there which brings us back full circle to visual disruption...)

I've worked-out a compromise structure using 0.4mm for strength on the main load-bearing runs top and bottom, with 0.3mm for the internal triangular bracing and cross sections on the engine bearers. In this way it should yield maximum strength with a minimum of visual incongruity.

On 10/14/2018 at 2:54 PM, Hamden said:

Nice start on the engine mounting structure

Thanks Roger. :thumbsup2:

Now that I've got my teeth into it so-to-speak, it seems less daunting than considered in the abstract....

On 10/14/2018 at 3:38 PM, limeypilot said:

This is getting very interesting. Lots of brass work and 2 boiling heads, what more could we ask for!

Sounds like a macabre version of 'It's a Knockout!' Ian..... :laugh:

On 10/14/2018 at 3:53 PM, giemme said:

Altogether, I suddenly feel the need for soldering ...

😁

We are but men Giorgio, and subject to the winds of fancy.....

On 10/14/2018 at 5:54 PM, Martian Hale said:

That's nice isn't it? After all the nice things I have said about this build so far. 

Sincere aplologies esteemed xenomorph.

Well am I chastized for such unwarranted vandalism of the Martian chariot...

giphy.gif

On 10/14/2018 at 9:20 PM, bigbadbadge said:

I do like the liquid Flux too do the the way the solder flows. I use it building Locomotive kit chassis and am amazed how clean the joints come out. 

Great stuff isn't it Chris? I'm still getting used to using so much less solder than previously and being able to poke it right into the join with a fine tip. Marvellous!

On 10/14/2018 at 9:50 PM, perdu said:

Still we can but hope...

A source of chagrin, dismay and dolour Bill but I shall definitely be absent from the throng, for the aforementioned reasons.   

Now if I can just get the eldest through his driving test by this time next year then it occurs to me I may get chauffered over next time! :rofl:

On 10/15/2018 at 8:17 AM, CedB said:

What's that lump of stuff on the bench? Magic soldering putty? Or just wet paper towel?

I'm tempted to lie outrageously Ced and say that it's a lump of amerbgris that I found whilst walking on the shore outside my beachfront house in the Maldives with Helena Bonham Carter in the dusk.

Sadly however,  it's just a lump of old stained White-Tak that I use to bung things onto for painting or soldering....

Here we are then:

45316546402_544f32ecf3_c.jpg

Using the etch bender to get the tubing to conform to the plan-silhouette for the top run of the engine-bearer.

Held in the vice for soldering and the tubing secured at the right angle with ambergris White-tak:

45316546092_aa93914ffe_c.jpg

A dab with the hot pointy thing and that's the top tun in place:

44453248645_74269f0cb7_c.jpg

Side view:

30427733407_2ec8fb3f1b_c.jpg

The final precise bend to all these parts will get done at the end when the mounting collar goes on last:

43551242260_e465689a03_c.jpg

Same deal with the bottom runs added now this evening:

43551242440_dd75d1a57e_c.jpg

This time around I worked out that it was easier to bend the tubing to the approximate angle after soldering them on, rather than struggling to hold oddly-angled parts together beforehand:

45316546222_2443bd0f59_c.jpg

The lower runs will probably need trimming after a final bend inwards but again, easier to do it in situ than guess beforehand and hope.

I am, it seems, learning. :laugh:

I do hope your respective weeks are going ok for you.

Hard to believe that this is the middle of October already!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

Nice bit of soldering there Tony. I used it many years ago when I did some fine brass and white metal loco construction and it definitely has its place these days on my workbench when assembling some of the fine etch components. Just need much care!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Looking at your Cad drawings and then your brass engine supports makes me realise that your skills are so superior to my own that I feel like giving up modelling and taking up bowls instead!

Lovely demonstration of what can be done with brass, solder and a lot of patience - and how to enhance a model in the process. I sympathise with your learning curve - at least you seem to be successful in this department! I seem to keep falling off mine.

P

• Thanks 1

filigree and shadow (I'm sure I've used that before).  A small but delicate update - how could one not like that?

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I do hope your respective weeks are going ok for you.

nope unfortunately.  I'd never have guessed exporting from one vector format to another could be so awfully complicated.

:rage:

But thanks for asking!

• Sad 3

Lovely metalwork Tony. There is something immensely satisfying when soldering up Brass work.  It is nice and quick and it looks great as it builds up. I have never thought of doing it with my  model aircraft before.   

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

White Tak - aha! I knew it wasn't ambergris as we all know that a ) it's as rare as hen's teeth and b ) it melts when you heat it… that said, if you do find it melts, pop it over to me for a no win, no fee test and we can (ahem) share the windfall. Whale vomit, I ask you :shrug:

Lovely framing Tony - another Baronial masterpiece in the making :) 

• Haha 3

On 10/16/2018 at 7:43 PM, Spookytooth said:

And your right about soldering, keep it straight then bend, a lot easier to keep things square as to say.

On-the-job learning in my case Simon! 😄

On 10/16/2018 at 7:53 PM, giemme said:

Fascinating stuff, Tony

Thanks Giorgio! :thumbsup2:

(Only found out the other day that there was an item of headgear called a 'fascinator'....)

On 10/16/2018 at 8:38 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Chalk me up as another liquid flux fan - Hendie put me onto it and I love it to bits

Superb stuff and my respect for its capabilities grows by the day!

(I suspect that my bench has actually become a shop-window of hendie's, Bills, and Ced's reccomendations for tools and materials over the past couple of years... 😄)

On 10/16/2018 at 9:51 PM, Terry1954 said:

Nice bit of soldering there Tony. I used it many years ago when I did some fine brass and white metal loco construction

Thanks for that Terry. :thumbsup2:

There is a small but growing region of my modelling psyche that is fascinated by the idea of building a brass loco. Both Mrs. B and myself have great grandparents who were steam-loco drivers so possibly it's in the genetic code.... :laugh:

On 10/16/2018 at 11:25 PM, pheonix said:

Looking at your Cad drawings and then your brass engine supports makes me realise that your skills are so superior to my own that I feel like giving up modelling and taking up bowls instead!

Now, now Mr.P. None of that. I've seen you at work and would be content to regularly match the qualities that you achieve. :nodding:

On 10/16/2018 at 11:25 PM, pheonix said:

I sympathise with your learning curve - at least you seem to be successful in this department! I seem to keep falling off mine.

Never under-estimate the power of stubborn bloody-mindedness to 'get it right'... :laugh:

On 10/17/2018 at 12:43 AM, hendie said:

filigree and shadow (I'm sure I've used that before)

If you didn't then  I'm sure one of the Romantic poets did hendie.

Wordsworth's: 'I Wessex'd lonely as a cloud' springs to mind as a candidate...

On 10/17/2018 at 12:43 AM, hendie said:

I'd never have guessed exporting from one vector format to another could be so awfully complicated.

Grieved to hear that having been in a similar bind with 3D formats in the past.

If you can't solve it then it is unsolvable. :nodding:

On 10/17/2018 at 7:44 AM, bigbadbadge said:

There is something immensely satisfying when soldering up Brass work.

Absolutely true Chris.

Something primal and industrial perhaps?

There is something magical about shaping and building from metal - my pal's dad used to be a blacksmith back in Somerset in the early 70s and nothing was more engrossing than being allowed to help with shoeing the horses in the heat and dark of their old barn.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:45 AM, CedB said:

Whale vomit, I ask you

'Darling - you smell wonderfully of vomit tonight!'

DM44637.1d2fc1789aaded4ef9ffe99fe3a0eb30

Said no-one on a promise ever....

On 10/18/2018 at 10:23 PM, The Spadgent said:

Makes it all the more sweeter when we eventually get to the bench eh.

Thou hast that right Brother John. :nodding:

Just noticed in your sig that you're building a tank?

Still, sticking a box together should only take a few minutes before you get back to building proper stuff with wings on. :winkgrin:

Saturday lunchtime then and this moring was the first chance to get close the the bench again since Tuesday. This looks set to become a prolonged pattern so trying to make sure I'm focussed on what to do when time does become available.

First step this morning was to add  vertical and horizontal framing to the rear of the firewall:

44530897065_a96828ec87_c.jpg

I'm using 0.3mm tube for these jobs from now on as satisfied that the main 0.4mm runs top and bottom aren't going to boinging about. Speaking of which - I lashed the lower frame to the etch-bender and gave it a tweak to produce the required up-angle as it heads back to the spar mountings:

31570768528_e802e51741_c.jpg

You can see in the shot above that I've started adding the cross-braces to the framing as well. Here's a shot of both of them in now:

31570768628_e802e51741_c.jpg

The lower frames are still a bit long at the front but deliberately so in order to trim them accurately to match the engine mounting collar when that is being fixed into place:

44530897615_4eab487535_c.jpg

31570768668_e802e51741_c.jpg

Starting work on the triangular side-bracing behind that goes behind the firewall:

31570768728_0b80da90ac_c.jpg

These were simply 22mm lengths of the 0.3mm stuff bent in the etch-folding tool.

Both frames in:

31570768748_76d5ee927e_c.jpg

A little bit of scraping needed with a scalpel in order to thin the solder in a few places but otherwise, the liquid flux continues to result in less excess. Starting to realize too that the flux dries sticky (a bit like honey) so need to give this a good wash afterwards to get rid of the hairs and fluff that it seems to acquire from nowhere:

31570768798_3365377d7b_c.jpg

I can't slide the brasswork  all the way back into the nacelle yet (due to the kit moulding for the undercarriage legs being in the way at present) but a quick look of what will eventually be 'home' for it:

31570768348_5c038df5f1_c.jpg

I'm definitely going to have to remove that thick 'lip' of the remaining kit moulding that juts out, and to make a brass replacement. It'll be a complex job, as that part also contains the outline of the undercarriage opening within:

31570768428_c78188f142_c.jpg

Nonetheless necessary as thinned plastic will simply be too weak - in fact it's cracking at the thinnest part already. I have to make the curved sections for all the other nacelle panels though so may as well do that into the bargain.

With these jobs in mind I'd invested in a rolling rig during the week:

43629568600_a64dd34ae6_b.jpg

It's the standard 'A Small Shop' version that Historex over in Dover were selling for decent hand of gelt, and will I think prove most useful in the near future for forming the required radii from annealed brass.

A final look at the engine bunged on to check visually that all is as it should be:

31570768338_d05bd6a16f_c.jpg

More fluff!  :laugh:

All that really remains of the engine-bearing frame to do then is to add the mounting collar to the front and complete it with a triangular brace on each side. Additionally a single diagonal brace needs to go across the top behind the firewall and a pair of struts running back from the rear of the firewall slightly angled outwards, and then that will be this phase of construction done. Too tired after that session though to contemplate any further concentration today.

Thanks for looking-in and enjoy your weekends!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

excellent brassierery there Tony.  - very skillfully done and as good a soldering job as I've seen

I think this is going to be one of your best. That last shot with the engine in place is a real teaser/taster for what's to come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Thanks for that Terry. :thumbsup2:

There is a small but growing region of my modelling psyche that is fascinated by the idea of building a brass loco. Both Mrs. B and myself have great grandparents who were steam-loco drivers so possibly it's in the genetic code....

You should try it sometime, very therapeutic. This is how far I got with this one (White metal and brass). This, and some others, may yet be resurrected from the box of past times. Everything is held together with solder, including the white metal parts. Its 1/76 scale, and has a chassis that is true scale, P4.................

DSC_1474

• Like 9