Listening to the Solstice

I'm here too (better late than never) thanks to the link in the Chicken thread...

Sadly I don't think I'm related to 'the Bufton Brothers' although it's not a very common surname. :shrug:

Caught up now Tony and ready for some more Baronial modelling - can't wait! :D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

And I thought it was a bladder problem? LOL

Simon.

Irrelevant now, after the ice he can't even find it!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Caught up now Tony and ready for some more Baronial modelling - can't wait! :D 

It looks like he is going to makes us though.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

On 8/22/2018 at 11:03 PM, Martian Hale said:

I noticed that the Baroness has put the film up to keep me out of trouble. Anyone want to give odds on him succeeding? Bearing in mind of course, that nobody has succeeded in the fifty seven of your Earth years since I was dragged kicking and screaming into the universe!

Since last time I attempted to restrain your antics you incinerated the naughty step with your heat-ray you impatient extraterrestrial I guess I'd better at least put something up here now the Iron Chicken's gone to roost...

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I can remember building this kit back in the dim distant past, all glue and fingerprints back then.

Mine too Simon! Or as I now like refer to my childhood effort - the ' rare Humbrol Cement Glazing' variant.... 🧤

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Right, I'll nip up to the local offies, my turn to get the beer in!

Drinking and posting?

This thread is sure to get out of hand Keith!

What am I saying? That's just normal for one of my builds... :laugh:

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Good man Keef, don`t forget the ice.

We've all been trying to forget the Ice....

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

So I'm here now patiently waiting and I promise I wont make any quips about not started yet

Don't worry Terry there'll be plenty who will!

Wait - what's this:

3 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Are we there yet?

And I thought that Martian fellow was bad enough.... :laugh:

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

And I thought it was a bladder problem?

Someone needs to invest in self-sealing trousers....

3 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm here too (better late than never) thanks to the link in the Chicken thread...

You are most welcome as always Ced. :thumbsup2:

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Irrelevant now, after the ice he can't even find it!

:rofl:

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

By the way I clicked on this thread thinking it was about someone listening to the prog-rock band Solstice... :)

Being 'Worst Diorama Ever'.....

49 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Battle of the Beams, an Airfix Classic, and history clarified from primary sources.....What's not to love!  :coolio:

Glad you approve Sarge. :thumbsup2:

13 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

It looks like he is going to makes us though.

Oh no he's not! :evil_laugh:

I need a few days I think to get over the Iron Chicken but as there's muttering in the ranks I thought at least an update was due.

Not that I suspect it'll quell the dissent for long...

I hadn't until now really stopped to have a close inspection of both the kit (which at 49 parts didn't take long) and the aftermarket stuff (which has already assumed the proprotions of a buildin its own right). Having leafed through my copy of the Anson Mk.1-XI maintenance manual (AP 1525A,D,E & F, Volume 1) from April 1944, I'm pretty sure there's lots we of positive stuff we can do both inside and out to bring this old kit back to front-line strength, though I need to start breaking this down into a project list of the main features that call for attention before working downward from there.

Let's have a look at the powerplant first: The Engines & Things 'Cheetah' came nicely packaged - including a neat little diagram of how to build a notional cradle for it (which I must check against the maintenance manual):

43584377515_388af6e1e5_c.jpg

I shall need to build something suitably cradle-like as i'm going to have a crack at doing this to the starboard engine:

44494912341_e36100d634_c.jpg

(Image credit: IWM)

Yep. Including that panel where's it's been removed from behind the exhaust leading back to the wing. Plenty to think about in that section alone.

If we compare the excellent E&T Cheetah to the original kit moulding, you can see there's no comparison:

43776042534_8bc1b1ee9f_c.jpg

I think what I'll have to do is make a resin copy of the front of the E&T one to replace the kit moulding inside the cowling on the port side.

db1f57c0-9ea2-11e6-9c82-0fd9f3f5b055.jpg

I need to become more familiar with resin anyway so a useful bit of labour to enter into.

I mentioned before that on opening the box that I discovered the kit had some Aeroclub AM stuff included (unbeknownst to me when buying it) in the form of a replacement cockpit canopy and rear turret (later version which, matches the serial of the aircraft I'm building so can be used) To match the quality of that I'm going to need to replace the side glazing with something of mine own due to the unacceptable thickness of the kit parts:

43776042954_b7190ff8f9_c.jpg

BTW, I'm not slagging off the kit in any way. It is what it is and part of my childhood so my main desire is simply to do my utmost to bring it back to the fore again.

We'll have a lot to do inside here with that crater field and thick bits that will need either filling, thinning or removing altogether:

44444167582_8084b35088_c.jpg

We'll have to open up the front of that nose too.

Now, The Flightpath etch.

If ever I get to meet Mr. Parkins I would dearly like to shake his hand. This stuff is amazine for 1/72!

44493793451_d267b21106_c.jpg

I mean seriously - laser-cut IP and radio anyone?

43776043304_1dd7bc2c30_c.jpg

That's not though I surmise the Hallicrafters'set that detected the beams so I' llhave to scratch that up.

s27.jpg

Now: have a look at this lot of interior gorgeousness:

44444167852_f9f65eef8e_c.jpg

See part 25 over there on the left-hand side midway down?

This bit:

44444167922_d267b21106_c.jpg

Now have a look at what's sitting out on the desk in this lovely shot Terry posted on the previous page:

IMG_0030.jpg&key=ff0dbdfeb07457b7be91f59

The Flightpath set gives you a whole array of navigational rulers, compasses and protractors in 1/72!

So we should be able to gussy-up a nice lush interior to do Flight Lt. Bufton and his crew justice.

Those ribs are far too pronounced compared to what you can see on an actual Anson:

44444168082_7893332595_c.jpg

Here's a shot of them being constructed, taken from the Jan 30th, 1936 issue of Flight:

43778112804_1c4de28177_z.jpg

The actual wing surface (quoting the maintenance manual) is:

'plywood glued and bradded to rib flanges and stringers. An additional external covering of fabric is doped-on to the upper surface and leading edge of the mainplane...'

All of which is a long-winded way of saying I need to sand the wings down.

The prop?

44493793561_ce283edae7_c.jpg

I've no idea at all at this stage and need to compare it to some reference shots before making any decisions.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

To match the quality of that I'm going to need to replace the side glazing with something of mine own due to the unacceptable thickness of the kit parts:

43776042954_b7190ff8f9_c.jpg

Given what you did to the Chicken's flightdeck windows, I suspect that will be one of the easier parts of the buid!

The Flightpath etch does look very nice, but I would think you'll be wanting to replace the cabin framework as it looks a bit squashed compared to the tubular structure it should be!

keith

• Like 2

I second your fan-boy attitude to Mr Parkins.  Without him my Seaking 5 would probably never have been started.  

As opposed to never being finished, which is 100% my fault.  [Thought I’d say it before one of you lot did]

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Usual order sir?

😁

Thanks Simon. The creme de menthe and a funnel if you would.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

but I would think you'll be wanting to replace the cabin framework as it looks a bit squashed compared to the tubular structure

You know it, and it shall be so Keith.

Expect solder....

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

As opposed to never being finished, which is 100% my fault.  [Thought I’d say it before one of you lot did

Actually with it not quite being there yet Crisp it's a little bit like that fortnight before Christmas as a kid - you know there's a present due at some stage but for now just enjoying the anticipation!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, yes, yes . The Annie gets started. Great start  and background on that. A bit late here, but I'm in now. The engine looks great as the etched parts.  Very keen on this wip for sure. For that:

dbs_Roy_Cross_Celebration_Of_Flight_12.j

Cheers and confused while posting ( the links open in a new tab on my pc)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have only just found this via your boxcar RIF.

What an interesting piece of history - I did not know that the German system had been detected so early and via the method you have described - not really followed up this aspect of wartime history. This is agoing to be a truly fascinating build - and one which I will be following for certain. Not least because I remember building this model when it was a bagged kit and I would have been about 11 yaers old. I think that today it would have been called a blitzbau - except that mine would not have been suitable for display on these pages!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I need to become more familiar with resin anyway so a useful bit of labour to enter into.

well, if you're going that far you may as well throw in some home brewed PE at the same time.

You know what these four handsome chaps say...

Slade-InForAPenny-F-Belgiumresized_zpsfb

• Haha 2

That's what we need, another progression into photographicetcheryness 

You have the design-by-disputer skills to be able to show me again how to get it on

I have watched Mark, lord bull of Cheshire, Hendie of America and m'Lud Friday ofthe Northern fastnesses do it

Maybe seeing it again from you will give me the asskickery to get on with getting it on...

Has he started yet?

Anyone?

😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If he thinks this will just slip down to page 2 & beyond just cos he hasn’t done anything, he’s badly underestimated our capacity for mischief.

Besides, prodding someone else to get on with doing some modelling is so much easier than getting on and doing some modelling yourself...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Besides, prodding someone else to get on with doing some modelling is so much easier than getting on and doing some modelling yourself...

Amen to that :rofl:

Ciao

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hendie said:

well, if you're going that far you may as well throw in some home brewed PE at the same time.

You know what these four handsome chaps say...

Slade-InForAPenny-F-Belgiumresized_zpsfb

Aye. That would be "Mama, we're all crazy now"

Nuff said!

Beer and peanuts in hand.

In your own time, carry on!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1