1 minute ago, delta7 said:

nice work, are you rescribing all the panel lines?

Hello Delta .. No i tried that on my F-100 and did all the rivets. It looked ok. Really it did but was not worth the time involved. I usually just rescribe the ones lost during the sand/polising stage. For these old Monogram kits i give them a full sand down with 1000 grit. That removes about 90% of the raised detail. Which is about perfect once the paint, clear coats ,and decals fly on. The detail is there but virtually smooth after everything is said and done. 

Dennis

• Like 1

On 15/08/2018 at 17:06, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

For these old Monogram kits i give them a full sand down with 1000 grit. That removes about 90% of the raised detail. Which is about perfect once the paint, clear coats ,and decals fly on. The detail is there but virtually smooth after everything is said and done. 

I'd go along with that.

There's no point turning the build into a spirit-sapping drudge, trying to turn it into something that it isn't.

I like the look of this, Dennis. Great looking plane.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone ... Today brings the paint done in the weapons bay and all of its associated hardware. 

zPsvoFz.jpg

Gy2GGRg.jpg

vReCZy7.jpg

OXCqYRz.jpg

Well thats where the Deuce is currently. This and the mig will get paint early next week. Family functions over the weekend. So not much bench time. Questions, comments, or jokes ?

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

The weapons bay was such an interesting feature of this aircraft and it's younger brother that I'm glad to see you're going for it open and on display.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone ... Been doing a lot of small stuff on the deuce. Painting the missile trapeze’s. Painting the Falcons, and starting to build-up the missle bay doors. I will be painting the ADC grey tomorrow so I can get on with this build. I will post some photos of the trapeze’s and Falcons tonight. 

Dennis  

owpkDd9.jpg

My research shows these were called GAR-1’s until 1963. They also were solid red until the GAR-1D/AIM-4D in 1963. So this is why they are solid color and not red/white. BTW the trapeze’s are a nightmare to assemble they dont clearly show how they attach on the instructions.  

• Like 2

Hello Everyone ... Sprayed the ADC Grey today. Wow did this thing suck up a lot of paint ? 5ml to be exact. I used that much to get good coverage. After that was dry i sprayed the clear-coat along with mig and the accompanying parts. I will take some photos tonight when i get back up to my office.

Dennis 

As promised:

KaXa0Nj.jpg

7ubpSYU.jpg

The area around the burner that is taped will get foil. 

• Like 6

Hello Werner @exdraken ... Yes the paint was diluted. Its a custom blend of two colors from Ammo by Mig that are pre-thinned for airbrushing. Im glad to see the Deuce is growing in you, the 102 was an impressive looking plane. Yes I will give it a little bit of weathering to try and break up the large field of ADC Grey. Though these were pretty clean aircraft.

Dennis

One of my useful books has Convair's fearsome beast all over the front cover....

IMG_20180823_233221

IMG_20180823_233138

.... but unfortunately nothing inside for further information!

The missile bay arrangements look interesting for sure.

Hi Vis wing tips on yours.??

One thing for sure----  she's not a tail-sitter!

• Like 1

Hello @rob Lyttle ... Looks like a good book. Lets just say i wish all six missle stations were retracted. 🤨 Those trapeze’s are aggravating to say something nice. No no High-viz panels on this one. The 431st operated out of Spain, Morocco, & Libya in the late 50’s and early 60’s. Not much need for the panels in the western Med/north africa. As for tail sitting im pretty sure im safe i will test the gear tonight for the first time. However the gap from nose gear to main gear is significant and i added a good amount of weight forward of the nose gear. Decals this weekend so she’ll have her feathers and colors soon.

Dennis

Hello Everybody ... Ive been doing a lot of the little things on the Deuce. You have seen the missles, the trapeze’s and a few other things. Heres the canopy as she sits now. 

ND472so.jpg

foXqGQn.jpg

I need to do a touch up on the right side of the canopy. Funny how it looks good until the photograph was taken. Then you see a little bit of work that still needs to be done. Questions, comments, or jokes? 

Dennis

• Like 1

Just been reading through this, nice work on a nice plane. Other idea with the wings could be cutting of the front part and replacing it with styrene...

When painting, I tend to mix my clear with the color in the AB. That way I skip a few layers.

Now it is nice and shiny, good luck with the decals...

• Thanks 1

Hello Everybody ... Well I got most of the Decals on today. I would guess about 80% of them.

sT4qL3s.jpg

SNHANTH.jpg

W4jxILY.jpg

ivPC670.jpg

FhzboqV.jpg

There was one bad decal and it was a critical one. The Tail art on the Starboard side fractured. 

uWUtb5Q.jpg

I was able to salvage it and can touch it up with paint. Not bad for 20 year old decals. I had another go at the canopy. I think its better, however i think its as good as im going to get it.

53A6fVW.jpg

YJ27xZL.jpg

I also finished the Drop tanks. I chose to do a mixed set. One in aluminum and one in ADC Grey. 

HZqItnn.jpg

Just some more stencils. Then im on to foil and the last bits. Questions, comments, or jokes ?

Dennis

• Like 4

On 25/08/2018 at 01:09, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Funny how it looks good until the photograph was taken. Then you see a little bit of work that still needs to be done.

When you magnify anything tens times it doesn't look as good as it does to the naked eye (even I might look good in 1/48). You've painted that yellow line around the canopy much better than I could have – particularly if it's hand painted.

Shame about that fractured decal as the others looks excellent. Are you intending to try and touch it up with red, or disguise it as chipped paint or with weathering?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

You've painted that yellow line around the canopy much better than I could have – particularly if it's hand painted.

Thanks ... BTW It is hand painted. Planning on using a little Red paint. 

Hello everyone ... I finished off the few decals i was going to add. I then did a few touch ups on paint. Both on this and the other builds. Then adding the foil to this and the Thunderbolt. Heres what i added to the Deuce

Gr5RZqn.jpg

9zhhPax.jpg

I did fix the tail but the red is to dark. Will brighten it up and try again tomorrow. 

Dennis

• Like 1