Thanks @BIG X ... Well I’ve been researching Deuce’s and found this photo. jK0QcNn.jpg

Specifically the lower half of the photo. I have removed a couple of antenna’s that didn't appear till much later. I will not be adding the IR sensor on the upper nose forward of the office. That appeared a few years later than my particular aircraft. That means i will possibly have to modify my I.P. As well. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think I've built a few of those over the years ? 

Alas I think we all have :( 

Interesting research! I'd no idea there was an early F-102 batch with so many differences.

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

☹️ Neither did I ? Right now thats all im doing to my build is test fitting and modifying the plastic to backdate it to an early version. 

Good preperation is never time wasted ;) 

• Like 1

The fin height was only different on the very early F-102's and was not relevant to any of the Deuces deployed to Europe so is definitely not a concern for you Dennis, and yes Werner it did affect the angle of the leading edge too, have a look at these 2 pics;

First the very early short tail;

43675807421_acef26eecc_o_d.jpg

And the taller tail fitted to the majority of F-102's, in this case a later case xx winged aircraft;

28786841307_401e0a2f62_o_d.jpg

Hope this helps.

Craig.

• Like 3

Thanks Craig @modelling minionYes I hadn't planned on touching the vertical tail. I have done some more work and have started pre-painting the rear ducting, landing gear bays, & office. I will be ading the retractable beacons. Revellogram has the holes flashed over and the clear parts? But they’re omitted from this kits instructions because this kit represents aircraft of a later mark. I will be adding photo’s of that work later today, when its finished. 

I will be using the cockpit from the Deuce at the Nat’l. Museum of the U.S.A.F.. I used their virtual tour option and screen capture photo’d the pit.

K9mv9kZ.jpg

eWGbWBp.jpg

jAGSA8t.jpg

mCNq4n5.jpg

qP7v8U1.jpg

O3MxAqF.jpg

I highly recommend that if you need a USAF subject to check the virtual tour option out for cockpits at least. The U.S.Navy museum in Pensacola has the same option. I used it for my Hellcat build earlier this year. More later time to go paint. 

Dennis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its approaching midnight in the U.K. So I guess that means we are officialy up and Running. I will post these Starting with the office heres whats been done.WhzFLOl.jpg

Landing gear bays base coat. These still need details picked out and a wash. 

hCp4eUV.jpg

Heres the intake and front face of the J-57. Heres where im having an issue? The instructions call for Zinc Chromate Green on the bulkhead. Yet the rest of the Ductwork is either N.Aluminum, Lt.Grey, or White. 

KIKmYlA.jpg

The burner can interior is done. I will add foil and washes to this after the ADC Grey is painted. 

hsf2Xz3.jpg

Last up are the intake ducts and I have done these in Aluminum Foil. 

GZ1TDlb.jpg

I carried the foil back to the engine face. It seems a bit of work for the little that can be seen. But I know that its done. 

XAJoben.jpg

Enough for now .. More later. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

28786841307_401e0a2f62_o_d.jpg

Wow i just noticed something in this photo. The drop tank is N.M.F. ? Not in the ADC Grey of the rest of the airframe ?  I may have to do one or both drop tank’s in Aluminum to give it a different look. Thanks for posting this Craig 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wow i just noticed something in this photo. The drop tank is N.M.F. ? Not in the ADC Grey of the rest of the airframe ?  I may have to do one or both drop tank’s in Aluminum to give it a different look. Thanks for posting this Craig 👍

Glad that it's of use to you Dennis, and hopefully others.

It will be good to see your F-102 with Aluminium tanks on a grey aircraft.

And yes it is a pity that the USAF Museum haven't done the 360 treatment on their F-105's but there are plenty of other pics out there.

Off to a cracking start by the way, must be the first out of the blocks!

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone ... Im getting up to speed with this build. Yeah Craig I was chomping at the bit to start this. It was and is my unicorn. I was afraid to start it but now that I've past that barrier im off & running. 

Today i added the inner fairings near the exhasts, and pre-painted the area under the intakes. 

Sj6RYbE.jpg

T8ifQ1y.jpg

Added the weight to the nose. A total of 1.5 oz. If this things a tail sitter im a 🐒 uncle.

5OurrDv.jpg

Painted the Bang seat. I added tape belts to the lower seat as there weren't any belts there.

zdWJFcr.jpg

I glued the wings together and have started filling the gaps. Superglue first pumped in the gaps with a 💉 that will get sanded and filled again. Then some surfacer on top of that. 

yG5AvoR.jpg

Then the real fun starts, sanding and filling while trying to replace the raised detail on the kit. Enough for day two see you all tomorrow. As usual Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

Nice start!

Cockpit looks decent!

47 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Added the weight to the nose. A total of 1.5 oz. If this things a tail sitter im a 🐒 uncle.

5OurrDv.jpg

Depends on the amount of lead you put into the tail :devil:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone so I know progress is slow but it is moving forward. Im filling the main canals on the lower wings, and the upper/lower intakes. The Deuce didn't have leading edge slats by chance did it ?  That might explain the huge gaps. I have also glued the cockpit into the fuselage. Sliw i know but it will speed up once the wings and fuselage are glued, filled, & sanded. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Your  progress is quick enough dennis, and not to shabby either, good stuff, I've wanted to do a bit of that aluminium foiling  for a while now, i  have a couple of sheets i bought from telford last year and I'm spoiling for a reason to use it. 

Glynn 

Hello @Hewy ... You should give it a try. Use it on small areas like a single panel or a mule to practice. Ive used both the “Bare metal foil” available as a stand alone item, and kitchen foil using microscale adhesive. They both work great and @rob Lyttle has great results using foil duct tape on his builds. All three materials work great and can achieve great results. 

So for a current update this thing is turning into a filler 🐷 ! I have filled the gaps on the wings 6 times now, and it still hasnt filled the gap ? Im thinking the filler/superglue is running inside the wing and not staying where i put it ?  Oh well back to filling.

Dennis

PS - So i added an 7th fill on the seam. I then glued the intakes to the fuselage halves. 

amWJrHc.jpg

Surprise surprise ... Theyre not the best fit. ☹️ I built one of these about 30 years ago when these first came out from Monogram. They fit much better then ? I think Revell has some really worn molds on there hands Sadly. I think Meng should scale up there Deuce or Trumpy should put one out. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

Hello buddy!

Thanks for the flag-up.

Good start here, if a slightly bumpy one. I'm assuming that we're in 1/48 scale, being an old Monogram job?

Listen, most people couldn't even name the type or the maker of the plane, never mind the nations and theatres which used this or that.

So build on- she's going to look a beauty!

Having said that.....

is it really just that curve down at the wing tip that's the issue??

I think you could at least mull over the possibility of scratching the modification.

Or at least testing out fabrication of a curved tip without messing with the kit wings, to see if there's any milage in that option.

If it's a fail, nothing is lost... you still got Plan A.!

Just a thought, while you're fiddling with internals etc.

👍

• Like 1