Hello Everybody ... Im going to jump in with this. DJ70dmW.jpg

I will be doing it in the markings of the 431st F.I.S. Out of Zaragoza Spain in 1961. It will look like this in the end. 

BcZW1UD.jpg

When I came back to modeling a few years ago I looked hi and lo for a Duece. It became my proverbial unicorn. I was a very happy person when Revell re-popped these and I quickly grabbed one. To be honest I have been a bit nervous to start it though. I waited long enough to start this and cant think of a better place than a group build setting to do it. I will post the obligatory sprue shots later today when i can get into my office. Hopefully i wont let myself or you folks down with this build. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 13

Lovley aircraft this dennis, this will be a pleasure to see built up. i know its not eligible for this gb but I've got a 1/48  f 106 trumpeter dart kit,  I've got it down from the stash twice this year to build and got side tracked, maybe this will be the push, 

Glynn 

• Thanks 1

Great to see this one in the GB. Another classic Monogram kit of a less common subject in colourful markings; what's not to love about it :wub:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Werner @exdraken ... The decal set is an older Superscale set #48-805. I wish you the best of luck trying to find them. Im sure somebody has them in a file somewhere? If i can find them i think anyone should be able to. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis!

Thanks! Evilb. has everything ;)

Found some from RepliScale as well!!

Great motivation posts!!!!

:)

• Like 1

Dennis you might need to check your wing shape.

I think the F-102 you want to build is an earlier one with a csae x wing but I believe the wing in your boxing might be for a later case xx wing. The difference is in the outer portion of the leading edge, if yours has the downward curve continue to the wing tip then it's a case xx. The serial numbers for case x wing are :- 53-1790 to 56-1316 and for case xx:- 56-1317 to 57-0909. I know there was a problem with the kits when they were released as they had the wrong wing moulded for the kit as the decal options supplied are both for early case x wing aircraft, so even they got it wrong! There were plenty of case xx wing F-102's based in Europe including the ones from the 57th FIS in Iceland.

• Sad 1

Hey Craig ... sadly I think that will kill the build for me. I dont have any other decal options than what is shown in my photo’s. I cant replace them at this point. Personally i could live with the little white lie but not sure if i should now. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

maybe this helps?

https://www.revell.com/support/service-alerts.html

"Revell Kit 85-5869 F-102 Delta Dagger

Due to an error in packaging, the first shipment of these kits contains an incorrect version of the wing. It is part number 3 and represents a Case XX wing and not a Case X. We are working with the factory to have correct Case X wings molded and shipped to us. We will then have them available to replace this wing in your kits. We request for the best service you use our Replacement Parts Order Form in the Parts & Service section. You will not incur any expense and you can keep the incorrect wing that came with the kit.

For this special case you can also place your order in 2 other ways; 1. Email your order to [email protected] or 2. Mail in your order to the following address: Revell, Inc. Attn: Consumer Service, 1850 West Howard St., Unit A Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

We apologize for this error and we appreciate your understanding. We are working to get these replacement wings as quickly as possible. When they arrive we will post that date on this announcement."

service-alert-020b.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hey Craig ... sadly I think that will kill the build for me. I dont have any other decal options than what is shown in my photo’s. I cant replace them at this point. Personally i could live with the little white lie but not sure if i should now. 

Dennis

Dennis I am really sorry if I have scuppered your build.

Please don't let this put you off as this is your model and you can build it as you wish.

Ironically case xx winged kits were like hens teeth with most of the kits for sale being case x until this re-release, it took me ages to find one. there are usually case x winged kits on Ebay or from second hand kit suppliers.

I might have some decals for a Europe based case xx winged F-102, I'm off to work in a minute but I will have a look either tonight or tomorrow morning and let you know.

Don't give up yet as I really would like to see you build this one.

• Like 1

Hello Craig @modelling minion ... Thanks for the moral support. You didn't Scupper the build yet. You just pointed out i have the wrong wings on my aircraft😉. I apologize if I made you feel that way. Its me that might scupper it. So i went to Revell’s website and tried to put the request in for the replacement wings. This is a screen shot of the parts replacement page.

eF4pjvO.jpg

Sadly as I suspected no U.S. customers are able to recieve replacement parts as of this time. 

I have a couple options here folks. 1) I can build it as is and live with the innacuracy. 2) I can attempt to cobble markings together for another unit ? 3) I can go with Craigs option and use the greek/turkish A.F.’s as an option. I have no Greek or Turkish roundels so thats not the best option. 4) I could wait till next month when my B-day shows up and spend some of my yearly budget on a new set of decals ? 5) I can attempt to modify said wings( not really liking this idea). 

Well if anyone here knows me. You know im not the Rivet counting type. I am considering just building it as is. However that might be akin to building a Spitfire Mk.V when what i need is a Mk.VII. Same plane different wings ? In my case its the same, both correct airframes not the wings. Honestly most people wont know/care about the difference so I wonder if i should ? 

I think I will give it some thought and see what the collective britmodeller thinks is the best route. After all the build doesn't officially start till Saturday.  

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Col. said:

Go with whatever option satisfies you in the best traditions of IMBM (It's My Bloody Model) Dennis ;)  

Thanks Col. Im leaning towards building it as is. I cant find any satisfying replacement markings that fit the definition of the group build. Theres really nothing in NATO except the 57th out of Iceland with case xx wings. I dont have the day-glo/arctic red, dont have the 57th F.i.S. Crest. Frankly Im not really keen on the whole 57th Sq. idea.

I wouldn't mind doing a Greek Deuce but again don't have any Roundels/sq. markings. So im back in the same boat again. Last but not least most people outside of the forum and hobby wouldn't have a clue about the wings. I suppose if someone asked i could always say it was a replacement aircraft. That or maybe a replacement set of wings ? 😉

Dennis

• Like 4

Dennis, I have had a good look through my stash of decals and can find decals for for case x winged aircraft based in Holland, Germany and Spain in our time frame but no case xx winged aircraft unfortunately. Unfortunately the Greek and Turkish ones also seem to have been case x winged too.

@zebra's suggestion of asking in the wants section on BM is a very good one as someone might be having your problem in reverse or have a wing from a scrapped model.

But personally I think that if you want to build it as it is then that is absolutely your right and nobody on here will criticise you for it, certainly not me. Wish I'd kept my mouth shut ☹️.

• Like 2

Another option would be to print decals yourself, or ask if anyone would be happy to do it for you. I do have some decal paper, but my experiments with it have been a disaster every time – serves me right for buying the cheap stuff. You are welcome to it if you think you may have better luck (I only have the white decal paper though).

If it was just the Greek roundels and relatively simple sq. markings, I would gladdy offer to cut paint masks for you. Alternatively, there are some on here who have those fancy silhouette cutter thingies who may be able to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

certainly not me. Wish I'd kept my mouth shut ☹️.

No worries Craig please don't feel that way. I truly appreciate the help and info, I needed to know that before i built the model. Id feel like an idiot if it was pointed out after the build. I just need to decide which direction i will choose, and since the build isn't officially started I have time. I started to place an add in the wanted section yesterday and stopped myself. The idea is good and its possible i will find someone in a similar yet opposite direction. Even if i did i couldn't even afford to mail the wings to anyone here in the states. Let alone anyone outside the U.S..

Hello @Gorby Those are also great ideas. I truly appreciate the offer of the paper as well. However i don't own a computer, or a printer. Everything I do online is done on a cellular. As for asking if someone could print decals or cut masks, its a very good idea. However I couldn't reimburse them there $€£, postage, or for there time involved. So that kind of blocks that avenue.

Funny thing is I think most people would be kind of shocked at how small my yearly budget was for kits and supplies. Sadly Im currently down to just two models in my stash, the deuce and an Special hobby B-18 bolo. That was given to me by another forum member, for a group build in December. I tell you these things not for pity or sadness. However its to let you know that i am a fighter and wont give up easy. 😉

Dennis

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

However I couldn't reimburse them there $€£, postage,

You're a great bloke Dennis, if I can help I wouldn't want payment for time, materials or postage, it would be my pleasure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So to be honest I am going to just build this kit as is. I will use the decals even though my wings are incorrect. I know its not correct and will probably upset the Rivet counter members here on the Forum. Please don't be upset and please understand that my attitude towards modeling is this. If it walks like a 🦆. Quacks like a 🦆. Then its a 🦆. By that train of thought Its an F-102 so i will use it, because its an F-102. At least im using a Deuce and not a Voo-Doo or a Thud. 😉

• Like 6