The Solway Firth 16 May 1568

Three days after defeat at the Battle of Langside, Mary Queen of Scots slipped across the Solway Firth on 16 May 1568, intending to petition her cousin Elizabeth I for finances to raise a new army.

While being acclaimed by the Catholic Nobility of Northern England at the City of Carlisle in what could euphemistically be called a "Royal Progression" , she was taken into “protective custody” and would endure increasingly close imprisonment for the rest of her days.

Nineteen long years after entering England, Mary Stuart was put on trial for complicity in The Babbington Plot. The plan had been to assassinate Elizabeth and replace her with the Scottish Queen.

Mary Stuart was certainly guilty by association, although doubt still remains as to just how deeply she was involved in the conspiracy.

The charges of treason being found proven, she was executed at Fotheringhay Castle on 8 February 1587.

This small vignette depicts the fatal decision to flee Scotland and cross into Elizabeth I's domain.

It would seem the getaway vehicle driver is arguing with Errol Flynn; "Nope, the deal was one Queen, one Maid Servant, one Flash Bodyguard and one Scottie Dog. You other three guys can go through Customs & Immigration in the normal way."

Hindsight is always such a wonderful gift of course. Would it have been better if Mary Stuart had sought sanctuary in France and await a change in fortune? Who knows? After all, her ex-mother in law certainly didn't want her.

Fascinating story though.

Solway Firth_16-May-1568_j

Solway Firth_16-May-1568_i

Solway Firth_16-May-1568_h

Solway Firth_16-May-1568_g

Solway Firth_16-May-1568_f

Solway Firth_16-May-1568_e

Solway Firth_16-May-1568_d

Solway Firth_16-May-1568_c

Solway Firth_16-May-1568_b

Solway Firth_16-May-1568_a

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

That's another classy piece of work.

4 minutes ago, Darby said:

Another one from the top drawer. 

Thanks guys.

13 minutes ago, spaddad said:

tasty

Yeah, but I'm rapidly running out of space in the unit at the back of my office -- and I've the next one coming up in a couple of weeks, plus an idea for a King Arthur and Knights of the Round Table extravaganza that I'd like to do..

Guess I'll just have to rotate them.

Office 23-Jul-2018s

• Like 3

Another excellent dio. I wondered when you'd start to run out of display space. :)

Pretty much run out of space in the living room cabinets and the unit in my office, but there's still a hobby room and an entire conservatory that can provide display space, and the bathroom offers possibilities....😄

• Haha 2