F-16 Engine Nozzle Colour?

LooseSeal

Hi guys! So it's probably obvious by the question that I'm still fairly new and need a bit of advice... I'm currently planning out what I need to start on the Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ and wondering how exactly people get that wonderful metallic with a hint brass/gold colour on the nozzle petals. Are there any specific paints anyone could recommend?

I've just finished a 1/32 Super Hornet and wasn't very pleased with the painting of the nozzles there (ended up putting a cover over them), so would really like to do a bit better this time round.

This is the sort of colour I mean:

2113cu.jpg

That would be some serious attention to detail on a model, just go ahead and leave the poop stain on there. "But it was in the reference photo!"

Edited by whiskey
  • Haha 3

There are many many options for painting realistic metal in our hobby, so you won't lack options. I'm really enjoying Vallejo Metal Colors, but you'd have to mix a little gold or copper in with aluminum to match the F-16 'petals'.

Another method is a steel metallic, followed by light, misted coats of a heavily-thinned mix of Tamiya X-27 Clear Red and X-25 Clear Green (with more red than green), giving a brownish tint. Follow that by light coats of heavily thinned X-19 Smoke to darken it to taste. Long-winded, but it gives you very good control over the final result.

• Like 2

I used Alclad II pale burnt metal on my build:

Be aware when looking for references: The pictures in this thread show the Pratt&Whitney F100 Engine, but in the Tamiya CJ (Block 50) kit is a General Electric F110

Cheers,

Markus

Thank you for all the non-bird poop related advice! ;-D In the end I've plumped for Alclad's Jet Exhaust and Pale Burnt Metal possibly with some X-19 Smoke afterwards...

Delayar - That's a really awesome Falcon, I can only hope mine ends up even half as good! Would you mind if I messaged you at some point for some advice on the build? Nothing too detailed, haha.

• Like 3