1/48 Republic F-105F USAFE

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Here's a good chance to practice. Slow and smooth will see you through as we've a few months of the GB left to go yet ;) 

I've managed to do the wings with only a minimal amount of loss of panel lines, and most of them on the underneath, so I will try and restore them. Your'e not getting me to rescribe them that easily!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Backdating the F-105 is fun, isn't it? I did it a couple years ago with the same kit. What I usually do when I want to restore raised lines, is just cut a new line with a sharp hobby knife. This will not only leave a recessed line, but also a raised ridge next to it.

Here's how mine turned out:

ZgECJnV.jpg

Excellent Thud Pete!

I hope mine turns out as good as yours, and yours is the same airframe I was going to do!

• Like 1

Well with the return to traditional British summer weather today (rain) I've been able to spend a reasonable amount of time on my Thud and have got the wings pretty much sorted and they need a coat of paint or primer to find any final flaws before they can be put to one side, I'm also going to paint the wheel wells and after doing some online research I have come to the conclusion that F-105's from this time period had the wheel wells and undercarriage painted in the same silver lacquer as the aircraft, this came from a thud driver so I'm definitely not going to argue with  him!

Next up to do are the mods to the fuselage. There are 2 areas that require work to achieve the standard of aircraft I want, namely the nose and tail fin. The nose requires the most amount of work. On the picture below of the port fuselage half you can see the areas that need work highlighted with red (guess who's just learned how to do this!);

41910841240_4f5745bd03_o_d.jpg

The gun gas vent holes all need filling as this is a later mod and all the sensors and gun camera on the front of the nose are much later so need to come off. The vent holes on the starboard side also need to be filled and these are highlighted on the picture below;

41910846080_02250eed3f_o_d.jpg

The tail is next. The areas in red are sensors which will need to be removed whereas the blue area is some damage which needs to be sorted;

41910843240_c3f0479c8a_o_d.jpg

The stbd tail is worse as the damaged area on this side is missing from that one, it was like this when I bought it and is a result of flimsy Monogram boxes and an aircraft that big that it barely fits the box. I will start removing/filling these areas tomorrow.

Craig.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I see you've taken on a mission here craig, I'm sure you'll nail it

Tell me about it Glynn!

It would have been a lot easier if Monogram had supplied all the sensors as add ons rather than moulded in place, but you have to work with what you've got. Come to think of it I'm not sure what the Hobby boss ones are like in that respect  so might not be any better, anybody know?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Tell me about it Glynn!

It would have been a lot easier if Monogram had supplied all the sensors as add ons rather than moulded in place, but you have to work with what you've got. Come to think of it I'm not sure what the Hobby boss ones are like in that respect  so might not be any better, anybody know?

Unfortunately not me, i was put off the hobbyboss 105 by poor reviews, i really shouldn't have read them, probably end up with one anyway. 

Glynn 

• Like 1

I can show you how to do wiggly lines that go off anywhere, got them down pat!! :wall:

gosh you have given yourself a bit of a challenge, this'll keep you out of mischief for a while.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hewy said:

Unfortunately not me, i was put off the hobbyboss 105 by poor reviews, i really shouldn't have read them, probably end up with one anyway. 

Glynn 

Just how bad are the reviews? Must admit i've not looked into them in detail as I'm happy with my monogram ones.

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I can show you how to do wiggly lines that go off anywhere, got them down pat!! :wall:

gosh you have given yourself a bit of a challenge, this'll keep you out of mischief for a while.

You should have my wiggly lines before I edited them!

Yes I believe this will keep me busy for a bit, not so much the removing of moulded on detail but the filling of the vent holes satisfactorily.

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Craig .. glad to see you're up and running on this. I see you've got the backdating mods up to snuff as well. 

Cheers Dennis, yes happily backdating away, should keep be busy for a bit.

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Good to see more progress but it does look like there are some challenges involved! Good luck!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, yes there are some challenges ahead (not mentioned the fuselage spine yet!) but I think I can deal with them, hopefully anyway!

• Like 2

Just to let you know that I'm still plugging away at the conversion process.

Sanding, filling, sanding again, paint to see how smooth it is/isn't, filling again..... you get the picture, just nothing interesting to show for it yet.

Hopefully have something to show by the end of weekend.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well after much filling/sanding/filling/sanding/painting/swearing/filling/sanding, well you get the idea, i believe I have finally got the fuselage mods sorted!! There is still the matter of the spine mod but I will tackle this when the fuselage halves are assembled, which is also when I will sort out the damage to the tail fin. Anyway here is a shot of the finished nose halves as they stand, with a nice smooth finish, at least I think so, please let me know if you think otherwise.

43952319792_5f88910720_o_d.jpg

I have now made a start on the cockpit interior, nothing much just the overall grey colour, but here are the insides of the fuselage and the tub and instrument panels;

29063482297_b58cfb72d3_o_d.jpg

43952327982_36e97b3ac4_o_d.jpg

Typically Monogram with very nice raised details which are accurate I am in the process of detail painting them now, and don't worry about those ejector marks on the inside of the fuselage halves as they are not visible when the cockpit is in place, something a few more modern manufacturers could take note of.

Whilst I was having  a rummage through my shelf of doom bound F-105G's box I found these;

43282129334_25d17368bc_o_d.jpg

Not sure if I will use them yet or not, might have a go at tarting up the kit seats, but they are a very useful backstop in case my tarting up goes awry.

Well that's it for today, hopefully have the cockpit painted in a day or so and will have further updates from then. thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8

Here i am wallowing in self pity and youve made real progress, the nose halves look sound to me, i wouldn't be looking forward to that seat though, looks like a group build in its self, good work craig

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Here i am wallowing in self pity and youve made real progress, the nose halves look sound to me, i wouldn't be looking forward to that seat though, looks like a group build in its self, good work craig

Cheers Glynn, know what you mean about the seats but there parts in there for two seats, we will see.

Check your P-47 thread for a nice surprise 😊.

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Always nice to see more progress Craig. Looking forward to seeing you work on the cockpit.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix,

The cockpit is about done, just needs a wash and some highlighting so hopefully I'll get some pics up later.

You off to the Victory Show this year mate? Weather permitting of course.

• Like 1

Hi Craig. Not decided about the Victory Show yet. Mrs PlaStix reckons there was an aircraft practicing a routine over the site this morning ........ so hopefully that means there will be a flying display this year. She couldn't make out which aircraft it was though but they might have been testing out some new flight lines? If the weather is good and there is a flying display then there's more chance I'll go. Got some other stuff on that weekend which may derail my plans though so I'll wait and see. Will you be going?

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Not decided about the Victory Show yet. Mrs PlaStix reckons there was an aircraft practicing a routine over the site this morning ........ so hopefully that means there will be a flying display this year. She couldn't make out which aircraft it was though but they might have been testing out some new flight lines? If the weather is good and there is a flying display then there's more chance I'll go. Got some other stuff on that weekend which may derail my plans though so I'll wait and see. Will you be going?

Kind regards,

Stix 

Yes mate I will be there.

Not sure which day yet as I'm supposed to be at work on the Saturday so it might need to be Sunday, need to have a word with my very nice manager who also likes planes to see if I can swap my Saturday.

Like you I would need there to be flying and decent weather to guarantee going.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Hi MM! Its always good to see one of Republic's finest. You'll know, that Billn53 and I both had WIPs recently so maybe thee help. I'd recommend the best book on the subject is Jerry Geer's huge tome. Look it up. It is pricey but, honestly, no fan of the Thud should be without one. On the SP Thuds note that the fin striping was very variable in stripe width and position. As with all these things, find a photo or two of the actually machine you are building and match that. If I can help let me know.

Martin

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Craig here are some photo’s of early D’s & F’s. I know this first one is in the U.K. kxhQUpz.jpg

The rest are either in the U.S., Japan, or S.E.A. But all have the early silver/NMF. This ones interesting in that the anti glare panels on the fuselage/droptanks are reversed. Usually its green on the Fuselage and black on the tanks. 

Over Japan.

S.E.A. 

These are all photos collected off of Google. Ownership is retained by the original owners. 

As for the Backdating article here is a link to it. 

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2001/f105dda_2.htm

If i can help with anything else please let me know. 

Dennis

*- removed false photo thanks @Creepy Pete for the point out. I didnt catch that one. 

Ah, '471! You'll see in my photo post a few months ago that I shot her at Carswell. :)

The third down..

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
added link
  • Like 2