"Looking towards Point 174" - Tiger I “131” in Tunisia Vignette

On 23/07/2018 at 17:27, Badder said:

Superb stuff Stix.

Now, Tiger and figures aside, (All excellent) that little irregular-shaped base is just perfect. It sets the scene but emphasises the size of the beast at the same time. Nice clumps of grass, great sand/grit/mud/stone and those cactii turned out good didn't they? The bright green contrasts nicely with everything else and adds that extra spark.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. Thank you as always for your very kind comments. I tried the idea for the odd shaped base for the Sherman build and it seemed to work quite well in photos. With these bases I rounded the top edges down and took the scenic base matrial all the way over so there's no hard top edge to the sides which makes it easier to edit the photos to keep the slight illusion of reality!! Yeah the cacti does add something else although I wasn't as happy with them as I thought I might be, Dragon originally intented that there was one large cacti made by combining two parts. It seemed far too big and dominated everything around it so I ended up chopping the bigger section up to make the smaller ones.

Kind regards,

Stix

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 19:27, Sairou said:

Excellent, you've captured the rough, dry exterior of the Tiger very well.

Thank you Sairou - most kind! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

This is fantastic- great project work all round and the desert backdrop brings the whole subject together and leaving you with a first class presentation- as we used to say 'proper planning and preparation prevents swearing removed - read the requirement in chat poor performance' and this is an excellent performance- very well done mate 👍🏽👍🏽

On 24/07/2018 at 02:40, sapperastro said:

Another excellent piece of work. Your figures are also very well done. What is your process with them? Do I detect games workshop washes at play in there too?

Hi sapperastro and thank you for you comments. Usually, with figures, I give them a base coat of thinned Revell's Anthracite. Then I apply the thinned paint for the clothing colours using a fine pointed brush. I use acrylic paints so I thin them with water. Once dry I cover the clothing colours with a very thinned wash of Revell's Gunship Grey. Next, into and around any detail or creases I apply a targeted wash of Anthracite. Finally over the clothing I dry-brush a lightened version of the base colour. Then I paint the any detail on the figure, belts, straps, etc. Next the hair is painted with a base colour and a dry-brushed. The flesh areas are done pretty much last - I usually use thinned Vallejo flesh colours. And finally - you are quite correct!! I use Reikland Fleshshade over the flesh areas. It works quite well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2018 at 06:52, PZRGREN said:

A great tank build, but in the vignette it is brought to life!  Outstanding Stix!!

Thank you very much PZRGREN. You are very kind.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 25/07/2018 at 08:40, longshanks said:

Simply stunning!!

So realistic, anyone questioning whether they need an airbrush need only look at your results

Kev

Hi Kev. Thank you very much for your very kind comments. With regards needing an airbrush - I think most people who have one already wouldn't want to spend the length of time it takes me to create some of the effects it proably takes airbrush users a few minutes to do! Stippling on the green camo on 131, for instance, did take quite a long time and a bit of patience - but I was quite happy with the result. I've just used stippling on my Thunderbolt build, in the STGB, to simulate a softer edge between the upper and lower colours. It's not perfect but looks okay. Hopefully what my models show if that there are some effects which can be created even if you only have normal painting brushes.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 27/07/2018 at 22:03, PattheCat said:

Awesome attention to detail, scenery and painting. Each of your builds is a pure joy to look at.

Thank you very much PattheCat for your very kind comments. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 04/08/2018 at 07:15, Pete in Lincs said:

Hi Pete and thank you very much for your comments and the link.

Thank you as well to those modellers who voted for my Tiger in the MTO II GB. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2018 at 10:22, Cadman said:

Ooh, I do like that. Nice backdrop of sand dunes in some of the photos too.

Hi Cadman. Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 05/08/2018 at 17:12, DaveyGair said:

Superb result, not much more to say that hasn't been said. I particularly like how you've achieved how the beast of a machine sits heavily on it's tracks.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Hi Davey and thank you very much for your very kind comments. If I can, I do like to try and settle the tracks into the base somewhat. It does create a better impression.

Kind regards,

Stix 

On 09/08/2018 at 13:04, Folkbox1 said:

Excellent Dio

Didn't realise cacti grew in North Africa

Hi Folkbox1 and thank you. I had to check about the accuracy of cacti growing in North Africa but it seems that Prickly Pear, which Dragon made the cacti as, is quite prevalent in Tunisia.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 12/08/2018 at 10:31, stevej60 said:

Stunning work Stix,those figures are beautifully painted and really bring the whole thing together.

Hi Steve and thank you very much for your kind comments.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1