Jump to content

AV-8S Harrier "Matador" 1/48 - finished!


Recommended Posts

Hi everybody y bien venidos! 

I will move on here with my Spanish series....

 

this time with an early Harrier of the 8th Squadrille, Spanish Navy, or Armada Española, Octava Esquadrilla  

Monogram molds, as Kinetic did not manage yet to release a very early Harrier single seater... fingers crossed they will soon! (GR.1, Gr.3 and AV-8A and AV-8S) 

Decals by Series Españolas, looking great, as usual!

 

I will add a Quickboost Stencel seat I guess...

 

20180722_135122_11

 

20180722_135140_11

that is what I have for now, fit looks good! :) :)

 

Weapons? gun pods I assume, as well as N/ P Sidewinders, or alternatively Lau -10 Zunis....

external tanks? which size and where to take from? are the 100 Gallon tanks from Hunters the same one? 

 

looking forward top your comments!

 

Thanks, Werner

 

 

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I built one of these a few years ago Werner as a USMC aircraft and I really enjoyed it, I re-scribed the panel lines.

I built the Kinetic T4 this year and didn't enjoy it so if I can find Monogram ones cheap I will pick them up instead.

Nice to see you building a Matador, will look nice next to your Spanish F-104, which of the schemes will you be building?

 

Craig.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to this - there can't be too many Harriers built! :D

 

I built this kit myself as part of the 1970's NATO GB last year:

 

Unfortunally the pics disapeared in 'The Photpbucket' incident but perhaps there's some information to be gleamed from all the help I got.

I built mine as an RAF GR.1.

902ddedc-b71e-4d3b-b402-90a77dfdae71.JPE

One last observation is that the kit actually is an AV-8 with Stencel seat. :hmmm:

 

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I built one of these a few years ago Werner as a USMC aircraft and I really enjoyed it, I re-scribed the panel lines.

I built the Kinetic T4 this year and didn't enjoy it so if I can find Monogram ones cheap I will pick them up instead.

Nice to see you building a Matador, will look nice next to your Spanish F-104, which of the schemes will you be building?

 

Craig.

Hi Craig, 

 

thanks, it will be a very quick build, only a better detailed seat (hopefully) and a Master pitot.

 

Not too many schemes to chose from actually! pre-1980 with MARINA markings, or later 1980-1996 ARMADA markings....basically Gull Gray over White...the latte ones are a bit more colorful, as there is a Squadron marking on the nose ;) ! I could also add 25000 flight hours on the tail....

 

that's it more or less!

 

yeah, hopefully it will look nice! next to the EdA Starfighter, F-4, C-101 and F/A-18M!  (but also next to the GR.3 and GR.7s ;) )

 

 

1 hour ago, HansReggelsen said:

Looking forward to this - there can't be too many Harriers built! :D

 

I built this kit myself as part of the 1970's NATO GB last year:

 

Unfortunally the pics disapeared in 'The Photpbucket' incident but perhaps there's some information to be gleamed from all the help I got.

I built mine as an RAF GR.1.

One last observation is that the kit actually is an AV-8 with Stencel seat. :hmmm:

 

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

 

thanks Hans, 

pity about the pictures! nice one though! will go through your thread for sure! :thumbsup:

 

thanks for the seat info, I still hope the Quickboost seat is more detailed ;)  the kit one would be fine though if necessary!

 

cheers!, 

Werner 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Werner......You'll have to stick to the grey/white scheme......The AV8-A matador never sported the later, overall grey scheme seen on the AV8-B Bravo.....

I've got that kit in my stash, and find it an excellent option, despite its raised panel lines. Even the cockpit is nice, OOB...

I remember seeing them onboard "Dédalo" carrier, and what really caught my attention, as a 12 years old kid, was the terribly dirty looking of their undersides.....contrasting with the almost polished upper surfaces......

 

Saludotes...!!!!!

Edited by Artie
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks interesting! Always nice with a Harrier! :)

 

Håkan

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

some update....

 

take share relatively fast ! :) :)

 

20180727_223813_1

 

20180727_223756_1

intakes, somehow I am missing the dropping aux doors... but I assume hey simply do not exist here......

 

 

20180727_224327_1

 

readly for closure !

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one, Werner! Me's tagging along.

Say, where did you get that Monogram kit from? They've seemed very difficult to come by as of late. I secured one some time ago, and mine is supposed to become a GR.3 with the aid of an Airfix LRMTS nose and a SHar tail.

Awesome kits, shapewise. The intake suck-in doors don't exist, IIRC, something which is easily fixed by such a talented modeller with your skills. Sure the kit needs rescribing and, if you've got the Kinetic SHar, you could always scratchbuild both the nose and main gear wheel wells by using those in the Kinetic kit as reference.

Cheers Werner, my mate!

 

Unc2

 

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2018 at 1:50 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

Nice one, Werner! Me's tagging along.

Say, where did you get that Monogram kit from? They've seemed very difficult to come by as of late. I secured one some time ago, and mine is supposed to become a GR.3 with the aid of an Airfix LRMTS nose and a SHar tail.

Awesome kits, shapewise. The intake suck-in doors don't exist, IIRC, something which is easily fixed by such a talented modeller with your skills. Sure the kit needs rescribing and, if you've got the Kinetic SHar, you could always scratchbuild both the nose and main gear wheel wells by using those in the Kinetic kit as reference.

Cheers Werner, my mate!

 

Unc2

 

thanks, but undeserved ;)

got mine locally through the net,  just a month ago and so immediately started! was searching for ~ 2 years..... was cheap as well :):)

 

no rescribing with this one, panel line look good, I'd have a hard time producing something as decent!

the blow in doors will be done.. maybe I jsut cut up some PE frames!

 

 

fuselage closed, sorry, only a quick comparison pic with my other just started project , a Su-9 in the cold war Group build!

kit is rather smallish! and elegant :)

20180729_224324_1

 

hmmm if anyone is in doubt, he upper one is the Harrier :P

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Artie, thanks!

22 hours ago, Artie said:

Love that Matador..........!!!!!! By the way, be careful with the antenna layout.....

yeah, those seem to be different from the kit ones! any differences from Marina to Armada era?

 

do you have more info on the little window (camera?) in the nose port side?

 

will have to scratch something here....

 

quite dirty on the back end those beasts!!

 

 

 

 

by the way, please remove the hotlink to the 1st photo...... airliners. ........ .net obviously is not very keen to have hotlinks around.... ;)

 

 

 

 

Edited by exdraken
Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly did you do with the intakes? I've got the kit as well, thinking about starting it soon and was just curious as to what exactly you did on yours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, whiskey said:

What exactly did you do with the intakes? I've got the kit as well, thinking about starting it soon and was just curious as to what exactly you did on yours.

hmmm not fully sure yet,

but the top 4 blow-in intake doors that are placed around the intake  are missing from the kit. If you look at the photos above, you can see that they open, depending on engine power (air flow necessities) when the engine is running, or when switched of  on the ground the top 4 ones drop caused by gravity. I am going to cut some PE to replicate them. That is all.

 

Apart, I just painted the inner intake wall in white. The border needs to be painted light grey though yet.

 

hope this helps a bit!

 

searching for intake photos:

0226-06-1-1.jpg

 

hard to see into the intake, but cool loadout!  credits to the owner of course!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 12:16 PM, Mr B said:

Nice subject. 

 

Hope to see it done soon. So far it looks great.

 

rgds

 

me and soon.....

 

but thanks!

 

 

stuff arrived:

20180802_172421_1

 

20180801_191714_1

 

Stencel seat....

 

20180802_221847_1

of course not a drop in replacement....

 

but when made to fit (the tub again :banghead: )

it fits!

 

20180802_221809_120180802_221754_1

 

always goofy to modify after painting and glueing ...... ;)

 

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome work so far, Werner!

You might remove the PE suck-in doors in order to give 'em a rounded shape by using the profile of the airframe aft of 'em. It's such an easy fix, my mate. Also, the four upper doors are opened almost vertically due to gravity. Fifth door from top to bottom (the one right in front of the NACA intake), is partially opened, like the way you placed the other ones.

Open up that NACA intake as well.

Cheers, my Helvetic mate!  

 

Unc2

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Awesome work so far, Werner!

You might remove the PE suck-in doors in order to give 'em a rounded shape by using the profile of the airframe aft of 'em. It's such an easy fix, my mate. Also, the four upper doors are opened almost vertically due to gravity. Fifth door from top to bottom (the one right in front of the NACA intake), is partially opened, like the way you placed the other ones.

Open up that NACA intake as well.

Cheers, my Helvetic mate!  

 

Unc2

Hi there!

Were to begin...

The easiest;)

Not Helvetic at all! - Iberic, not really, but would fit at least!

Alpine? If you like....

Austrian? Yes!

Styrian ? Yes!

 

 

Ok, next one from below...

Naca intakes??? The spatula shaped thing behind the 5th door you mean? Ok....

The 5th door.. why Monogram, why??? ;)

 

Droping the doors vertically hmmm there is inner structure that prohibits that now.... the doors would be way too short then ... sorry!

And second to last... I have no idea were I should "round" what.... ??

 

And last one,  thanks a lot for your input my Argentine??? Friend! :)

 

:thumbsup:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Not Helvetic at all! - Iberic, not really, but would fit at least!

:blink2: Wow, what was I thinking when I pulled that one off...? my mistake.

40 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Naca intakes??? The spatula shaped thing behind the 5th door you mean? Ok....

Yeh, the spatula-shaped thingy behind "they're" 5th door. A spatula; wouldn't have ever thought of that.

41 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Droping the doors vertically hmmm there is inner structure that prohibits that now.... the doors would be way too short then ... sorry!

And second to last... I have no idea were I should "round" what.... ??

Went to fetch my Monogram Harrier kit and found there was a spider the size of Texas dwelling in the stash! :lol: "Sheila, go get the shaving foam!" Inner structure there? Hmph... :hmmm:

The PE suck-in doors you've got to bend 'em over the shape of the fuselage which is right behind the suck-in door holes they cover. That way the PE suck-in doors will have a curved shape like the fuselage area they're fixed to, get it? "Sheila, come explain brother Werner what I'm going on about!"

53 minutes ago, exdraken said:

And last one,  thanks a lot for your input my Argentine??? Friend! :)

As Argentine as the tenderloin steak, which I'm gonna feed you the day you come visit me in Buenos Aires, yeh? :nodding:

Cheers Werner!

 

Unc2 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:
1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Droping the doors vertically hmmm there is inner structure that prohibits that now.... the doors would be way too short then ... sorry!

And second to last... I have no idea were I should "round" what.... ??

Went to fetch my Monogram Harrier kit and found there was a spider the size of Texas dwelling in the stash! :lol: "Sheila, go get the shaving foam!" Inner structure there? Hmph... :hmmm:

The PE suck-in doors you've got to bend 'em over the shape of the fuselage which is right behind the suck-in door holes they cover. That way the PE suck-in doors will have a curved shape like the fuselage area they're fixed to, get it? "Sheila, come explain brother Werner what I'm going on about!"

oh!

that you meant! 

 

could not understand , because I DID that already :P

, sorry if not fully visible on the photos :)

all of them should already have a slight bend to them !!

 

inner structure: behind those spiderwebs, I assume there is an inner part of the intake (a separate part , white below) that blocks the suck-in doors, as you prefer to call them, being fully vertical! (see left intake on photo below!)

29808827058_c3438bc856_b.jpg&key=77d9671

 

Spatula... or NACA...... the same, no? :D :D :D 

are  they open permanently (kind of an air intake to a certain sensor/ aux air???) or are they also suck/ blow  or as I prefer air pressure dependent?

 

ternderloin sounds great by the way!!!!

 

phuu quite a distance to cover..... current likelihood to have it down and over there.. close to 0 I fear!!!

 

you in GOOD old Europe every now and then? quizas??? 

 

cheers! Werner

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, exdraken said:

inner structure: behind those spiderwebs, I assume there is an inner part of the intake (a separate part , white below) that blocks the suck-in doors, as you prefer to call them, being fully vertical! (see left intake on photo below!)

29808827058_c3438bc856_b.jpg&key=77d9671

Ah, me sees! No dice to cut or shave 'em either.

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Spatula... or NACA...... the same, no? :D :D :D 

are  they open permanently (kind of an air intake to a certain sensor/ aux air???) or are they also suck/ blow  or as I prefer air pressure dependent?

Spatulas are opened permanently; they're like those in the Buff, Buccaneer, late-style Tomcat cannon vent, Intruder, etc. They suck air in by pressure dynamics. Anywhere on an aircraft that you see a spatula, that's a NACA intake.

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

ternderloin sounds great by the way!!!!

Yeh, meat's so tender you can cut it just by staring at it. Oh, and the taste is glorious if made on a grill.

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

you in GOOD old Europe every now and then? quizas??? 

Not me, but my mum. She's to visit Prague, Vienna and Budapest in October; I asked her, "Mum, can I come?" And she said, "No!":lol:

Cheers, my mate!

 

Unc2

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Werner,


There's quite a bit about auxiliary intake doors and the shape of the ducts on Vitaliy's GR7 build. It's all quite logical when you think about it; when hovering or when forward speed is low, the engine can't get enough air so sucks the intake doors open, creating another route for air to get to the fan. As a designer, you'd generally want a nice smooth path for this additional air to travel along, so the doors rotate about their hinges out of the way into recesses. No power, no springs (apart from a pair of little leaf springs along the wall of the fixed part of the auxiliary intake to help the doors remain in the closed position without wobbling about), just clever shaping. If you followed the primary intake in towards the fan (best done with the fuel valves off and a broom handle stuck down the intake to stop the slicer turning), you'd find that there's an edge along the line the moving edge of the auxiliary doors in their open position, interspersed with supporting webs. This edge meets the inner wall of the intake further aft than when it meets the "middle" AI door. Vitaly has modelled this very realistically on his model, so it's worth a site search. Hope this helps.

 

Kirk

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kirk said:

Hi Werner,


There's quite a bit about auxiliary intake doors and the shape of the ducts on Vitaliy's GR7 build. It's all quite logical when you think about it; when hovering or when forward speed is low, the engine can't get enough air so sucks the intake doors open, creating another route for air to get to the fan. As a designer, you'd generally want a nice smooth path for this additional air to travel along, so the doors rotate about their hinges out of the way into recesses. No power, no springs (apart from a pair of little leaf springs along the wall of the fixed part of the auxiliary intake to help the doors remain in the closed position without wobbling about), just clever shaping. If you followed the primary intake in towards the fan (best done with the fuel valves off and a broom handle stuck down the intake to stop the slicer turning), you'd find that there's an edge along the line the moving edge of the auxiliary doors in their open position, interspersed with supporting webs. This edge meets the inner wall of the intake further aft than when it meets the "middle" AI door. Vitaly has modelled this very realistically on his model, so it's worth a site search. Hope this helps.

 

Kirk

 

thanks Kirk!

 how could I miss 14!!!pages of Harrier p...???

 

 

intake section starts here for reference:

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

so everybody!


the Brits Abroad GB has just finished and my SyAAF Meteor taking all the modelling time lately...

with great entries into the gallery, this one would have fit as well ;)

 

 

but no no time spared to move on with the Matador!

20181023_124831_1

the 5th blow in door was opened (thanks Monogram :( )

the NACA (or Spatula)  intake just behind as well, needs some more cleanup though!

thanks @Uncle Uncool

the nose camera was opened, and some structure build around

 

 

the fin mounted radar warning receiver (a later Matador upgrade) was scratched (not finished yet)

20181023_124848_1

 

20181023_124902_1

and that is a bottom view ;)

 

more soon!

 

Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...