1/48 Accurate Miniatures A-36 Apache ''Piggy III''

Good morning guys, it's high time i posted something here. So i am back with a model i cope for some time now. But before i post my work i would like to thank my good Christian, who is always eager to help me when i ask.
The kit is known to everyone 1/48 Accurate Miniatures A-36
xImmjhL.jpg
The aftermarkets....
StwbYCbm.jpg

i6axi8Tm.jpg

YsgXlOtm.jpg

U1qJB3Hm.jpg

fH7IN6xm.jpg

As well as modex masks for ''Piggy III''

the actual Piggy...

zuo7iF0m.jpg

2WIhBJpm.jpg

3YCxLQcm.jpg

WnDQP3Jm.jpg

X7B7MlSm.jpg

nAeJI9Tm.jpg

As always i begun my work from the cockpit which for this kit was wrong as Acc. Min. is based on the surviving XP-51 which was a heavily modified Mustang Mk.I, not good for the A-36. So i shaved everything out and build a new one from items from the part fret and plastic...

gPO3ghfl.jpg

zDm3qTgl.jpg

u2k9yeNl.jpg

Painted, and weathered...

RMjx6a4l.jpg

0U7nbq2l.jpg

hWcixiOl.jpg

UXk2Axjl.jpg

Next, landing gear legs...

jQnWic5l.jpg

IEa94Gql.jpg

4tdCoMOl.jpg

vqXAtFal.jpg

ir29xmhl.jpg

ERlHRVRl.jpg

Then i glued plastic strips below the dive brakes and also glued the guns before i close the wings, i test fitted and i found it difficult to put them afterwards (sorry no image of the guns!)

QIAOiV6l.jpg

0h1yMqxl.jpg

The small heat shrinking tubes you see on the guns is to protect them!

Next i dealt with the landing lights, i closed the gap with epoxy putty, i used drills to depict the light holes, i paint them glossy black, next chrome silver, all black surrounding, next i covered them with the clear part, sanding polishing and finally masking for the paint. I forgot to take pics of all the procedure 😃 

G1RwlYhl.jpg

VkkzTgjl.jpg

lwOkxGul.jpg

FRqxDbXl.jpg

I have seen many building the A-36 model but forget to put the recognition lights to the right place under the fuselage and not below the wing, so i removed them from the wing and placed them to the right place. Unfortunately i also dont have pics of all the procedure. I drilled the holes under the fuselage, painted them gloss black, chrome silver put a drop of epoxy glue on them and afterwards i panted them with the clear colors!!

LG7n1ccl.jpg

13HCwhdl.jpg

K6DF3Spl.jpg

it was time to glue the cockpit parts and close the fuselage...

kSpIfQxl.jpg

7d2hcxHl.jpg

Cuilji9l.jpg

7RBF0jYl.jpg

pYfitDml.jpg

sIWa71Zl.jpg

I attached the wings and treat the small gaps with tamiya putty thinned with leveling thinners

BwM8UaLl.jpg

0OfQrfbl.jpg

Mzvy3cfl.jpg

byiYSl4l.jpg

next it was time for the wind screen and canopy...I separated the vacuform canopy, glued some part items for detail, masked then inside and outside and painted them. It was a PITA but i think it worth the pain. I also prepared the quickboost gun sight!

Y29B9Dfl.jpg

hHW0MF3l.jpg

tLhOjIQl.jpg

oOV6wvvl.jpg

fi5XsAxl.jpg

6qnjY0ql.jpg

KBhhDxwl.jpg

PFmMYwil.jpg

Finally, i painted the  inner windshield frame with Bronze Green i added the gun sight, the seat and the windshield which is painted only from the inside...

opPoEGbl.jpg

5Q6jvj8l.jpg

rHaglLQl.jpg

jTksVAZl.jpg

y5ahsbLl.jpg

5aolqQAl.jpg

I glued the windshield with cyano glue, and left it to rest, i have to close the small gaps. I am thinking to use milliput for that...
That's all for now my friends....to be continued..,
Hope you like it, please feel free to comment whatever you want!!

Regards,
John

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening guys, a little update on Miss ''Piggy III'' :):)
I needed to putty the windscreen, for that i used miliput, the white one, i think is called fine. I trimmed it with water in order to have as less sanding as possible! 
After that, as i had blurred the windscreen with the sanding, i brushed some fresh future and everything dissappeared!

IIVgE14.jpg

0Fd8FK4.jpg

Letting the puttied windscreen to cure, i dealt with the bombs. I dissolved some tamiya putty with leveling thinner and applied it with a brush over the body of the bombs to simulate the rough texture of it, then i painted them!

BenTBnB.jpg

f0igJ6F.jpg

Tr3gWdW.jpg

It was not my plan to rivet her but it seemed too plain to my eyes, so...i riveted her, i think that the outcome is much better!!!

SHhROHt.jpg

676tqmE.jpg

fmKS7nJ.jpg

gJBTOpe.jpg

Next step, an overall inspection, cleaning and preparing her for the colors!! But she has to wait to come back from my short vacations.

Thanks for your interest,

John

• Like 4

Hello John !

Excellent work, you've done here, Congratulations !!

I will save it and try to do half as good when I'll start mine.

I'm still searching for pics from the Yellow Scropions Sqdn in CBI Theatre....

If I did'nt find enough, I'll do a MTO one...:whistle:

Whatever, your Apache already a gem !!

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

stunning build so far, and absolutely a tutorial in filler prep and application.

Didnt realise you could use a thinnner on filler putty to make it more pliable?

Wonder if that should something I should apply to my future builds?

what is the ratio of putty filler to thinner please?

Hi Mikey,

Thanks for your comment! I dont use a specific ratio to thin tamiya putty with leveling thinners. I put as much thinner in order to have the viscosity i want. Imagine something as a liquid putty. I do in specific areas where i want to keep the detail, so no sanding and i repeat the process untill i am happy with the final outcome. I leave the putty to dry and then with thinner and a Qtip i remove the excess!!

John

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Awesome, Thanks john. I'll try and pick some thinner up at the weekend and give it a bash :)

Remember, for tamiya or Gunze Mr. Hobby putties you need lacquer thinners. Fo acrylic, water based putties i dont know, water maybe??

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good evening lads,

A little progress on ''Piggy III'' and is was time to put some paint on her.

Mr. surfacer 1500 black....

HVzo6Esl.jpg

First i dealt with the propeller random....

PyfFzFgl.jpg

After that it was time for the underside mrpaint Neutral grey 43....

s1s8Kvkl.jpg

MDoWHnUl.jpg

Efitzxbl.jpg

...AK extreme metal aluminium first on the upper side, for chipping purposes, followed by AK work effects fluid...

HbACGWKl.jpg

fkuY48Il.jpg

yBNQ93Sl.jpg

And after that, different shades of mrpaint olive drab 41 followed by chipping with a toothpick and/or a small stiff brush...I am going to lower the contrast of the aluminium...i think now, that it is not the best color for this job...any suggestions??

plsOacvl.jpg

Or57Je3l.jpg

Eu6RKazl.jpg

fHegHtwl.jpg

After that it was time for the yellow wing bands and the code munbers. A lot and patient masking to achive that...As you can see i photocopied the insignia in order to place the montex masks accurately...and yes i am very happy with the result!! The yellow is the chrome yellow paint from my favorite enamel paints, white ensign!

C8xwrowl.jpg

Jw2f1Kcl.jpg

APGwHAVl.jpg

F6qBOOsl.jpg

amtzVcel.jpg

vCkTLyLl.jpg

C1WtzNxl.jpg

I have a lot of work ahead with the weathering mostly, but so far so good i think!!!

Hope you like it,

John

Edited by zaxos345
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning gents, a little progress with ''Piggy III''...
I painted the white line on the vertical stabilizer as well as the ''P'' on both sides trying to replicate the brush leftovers.

b5z5BdXl.jpg
vZwKXjHl.jpg
avertrvl.jpg
5TTH6E1l.jpg

In these images you can notice some small maps i added in the cockpit and in the map case and a small family picture on the instruments panel :):)

qHJa3nol.jpg
Lsjn1Fal.jpg
ip4dnUJl.jpg

Gloss varnish, my trusty Tamiya X-22, decals, and gloss varnish again to seal everything. The detail decals are from montex, absolutely beautiful and extremely thin ones, and the insignia from fundekals, also top notch quality from cartograph!! I also assembled the spinner with the propeller, it isn't glued yet, only there for the photoes... 

OveWL1tl.jpg
EMlw9DIl.jpg
w4kEQvbl.jpg
hRzTqNAl.jpg

Nest step, wash, seal everything with semi gloss varnish, color modulation with oils and general weathering...
Thanks for watching,

John

Edited by zaxos345
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning gents, a little update for miss ''PIGGY III''. I am almost at the end of the project!
After the gloss i started with the wash....i tried to use different wash shades...in order not to get a uniform one...

ByYM9oEl.jpg

HrN9GRjl.jpg

90DWyvYl.jpg

After this stage i sprayed a semi matt varnish, to seal everything and i started the weathering process using only oils, (dry brush, dot filters...etc.)

Go4NBTil.jpg

9bX59m8l.jpg

7ng5G0Vl.jpg

zcEGbjpl.jpg

GHoWgU4l.jpg

1cCRXXEl.jpg

PS9b7v6l.jpg

I placed the exhausts and dealt with the exhaust stains, only oils here too..

mRSDOhWl.jpg

1i4OQkil.jpg

PoiN3Ynl.jpg

VJdLkAHl.jpg

vNJqzv0l.jpg

As you can see i unmasked the windscreenand i put the landing gear...dont know for you but for me to place the landing on a P-51 correctly is a bit tricky!!

vNJqzv0l.jpg

jCWM76Ml.jpg

kIpzgpBl.jpg

xn4Nkb4l.jpg

C2e9USMl.jpg

Eay9U9vl.jpg

g15y7vzl.jpg

13BA0xwl.jpg

Fr50hjbl.jpg

hsQF8xJl.jpg

UiNCINzl.jpg

Things to do...glue the propeller (is placed only for photos), place the antenna and the pitot tube (i ordered an aftermarket one from master barrels, as the one the kit provides i dont like it) and glue the vac canopy parts...this is doing to be tricky too!!!!
That's all for now, next update will be the last one, hope you like it!!

John

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Good evening gents. I finally managed to finish this ''girl'' and I give you some pics of her(taking photos is not my strong point!!)
I would like to thank you for your company and especially Christian for the info he provided to me!!!
Mery holly days and health and happiness to all!!
John

S5ph4sel.jpg
KGn4id4l.jpg
vktIZBsl.jpg
v8yyImyl.jpg
lAUiC4al.jpg
kFueH1Wl.jpg
pO9WdtWl.jpg
RucnQhMl.jpg
q4IrrJal.jpg
tMQg4k9l.jpg
MCTYNHKl.jpg