This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

corsaircorp

For my Scottish friends !

I took a walk in the wood this Morning with Mem Sahib !

So, I'll shatre these pics

Is anyone of you can explain why or how this flower became the Scottish emblem ??

WP_20180722_12_15_33_ProWP_20180722_12_14_43_Pro

This year, Thistles grew tall !!

WP_20180722_12_18_03_ProWP_20180722_12_18_59_Pro

May be @Stew Dapple can explain ??

WP_20180722_12_15_47_Pro

And I will attend the Scottish day in Waterloo on the 19th of August !

Oh, and I also find a part from a Harrier…

WP_20180722_12_55_34_Pro

Modelling on this evening Dears ! Now I'm going to fix my old Faithfull Starlet !!

Enjoy this Sunny Sunday !

Sincerely.

CC

The Scots were last in the queue at the garden centre.

12 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Now I'm going to fix my old Faithfull Starlet !!

That's no way to speak about your good lady.

25 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

can explain why or how this flower became the Scottish emblem ??

Because they are exceptionally prickly, you wouldn't want to hug one and you can't get rid of the buggers.

Just guessing. :whistle:

The legend, somewhat paraphrased, is as follows. 

In the mid thirteenth century an invading Norse army was trying to surprise some sleeping Scottish clansmen. They were moving barefoot to try to keep the noise down but one of the Norse soldiers stood on a thistle, let out a yell and wakened the sleeping Scots who proceeded to give the Norsemen a good doing.  The clansmen realised the thistle had saved their skins and adopted it as their emblem.

Although the thistle was adopted as an emblem in the thirteenth century its first "official" use as a Scottish royal symbol seems to have been on coinage issued in 1470, in the reign of King James III. 

http://www.scotshistoryonline.co.uk/thistle/thistle.html

28 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Is anyone of you can explain why or how this flower became the Scottish emblem ??

No, not without insulting everybody North of the wall..... :)

36 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

The legend, somewhat paraphrased, is as follows.

Great site Sd,the story reminds me of the geese that woke Romans in 390BC and alerted them to Gauls in the First Sack of Rome....

It is even a declared pest here down under !

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

Because they are exceptionally prickly, you wouldn't want to hug one and you can't get rid of the buggers.

The Scottish half of me is slightly offended, but the English half is laughing it's socks off 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿.

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

No, not without insulting everybody North of the wall..... :)

Go on, what's the worst that can happen?

:hanging:

Oh.

16 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Go on, what's the worst that can happen?

:hanging:

Oh.

No Irn Bru  south of the border.....   ?

1 hour ago, Mick4350 said:

It is even a declared pest here down under !

The bottom of the world seems to have more than its fair share of pests of all sorts :)

Thistle probably introduced to you by a disgruntled Scotsman sent there for upsetting the gentry.

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Because they are exceptionally prickly,

a-prickly-scotsman-as-a-native-scottish-

The thistle is certainly a majestic plant. I love 'em but, even here in Scotland plenty of folks happily chop 'em down. I would have a garden full of thistles if I could but mainly I get docks and dandelions.

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

May be @Stew Dapple can explain ??

Haha clearly you missed my impeccably English accent, I am in fact an immigrant to the lovely city in which I am priveleged to live :) 

As for thistles I have no idea but I am happy to accept @Skodadriver's explanation. Totally sounds legit :D 

Cheers,

Stew

That second photo isn't a thistle, it's a teasel.  It has some practical use, and a lesser man than I would make some cheap gag here about the difference between that and the Scottish national emblem.

2 minutes ago, pigsty said:

That second photo isn't a thistle, it's a teasel.  It has some practical use, and a lesser man than I would make some cheap gag here about the difference between that and the Scottish national emblem.

Oh Thanks, clearly, it's different but here, it's considered the same.

Sincerely.

CC

6 hours ago, Scimitar said:

a-prickly-scotsman-as-a-native-scottish-

I'm sure i've seen him at PM question time.....

37 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

I'm sure i've seen him at PM question time.....

I have a shedload of possible replies including a cracking photo but will refrain from going down the political route (and she looked really really scary in the pic)

Meanwhile,here's suggestion for our friends at the bottom of the world as to what they could use the pests for:

jaggy%20thistle.png

I was thinking that the thistle cartoon has a striking resemblance to Robin Cook.

@corsaircorp Does the thistle not have a special place in the hearts of Belgians as well? Willy Coppens the Belgian WWI balloon busting ace used the thistle as his emblem (with and without a Top hat if I recall correctly) and I believe I have seen it employed in other pilots schemes also. I assumed that this meant that it was considered an important emblem in Belgium as well as Scotland.

The insignia was the reason I just had to build the Eduard Hanriot in Willy Coppens colour scheme.

corsaircorp, think of teasel as medieval Velcro,

great...............UNLESS it moves! :crosseyed:

Beardie, your referring to 1 Sqdn. Belgian Air Force,

AKA the Stingers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for pointing that out to me. It is more than a little confusing as the 1st became the 9th while Coppens was serving with them and then in 1946 the thistle was bestowed upon 351 squadron and then, in 1948 it became the 1st squadron of the second wing. I was fairly sure that the thistle wasn't Coppens' personal insignia as I seem to recall that my 'Belgian Camels' decal sheet from Pheon has a camel on it with the thistle, possibly Olieslagers?

3 hours ago, Beardie said:

Thanks for pointing that out to me. It is more than a little confusing as the 1st became the 9th while Coppens was serving with them and then in 1946 the thistle was bestowed upon 351 squadron and then, in 1948 it became the 1st squadron of the second wing. I was fairly sure that the thistle wasn't Coppens' personal insignia as I seem to recall that my 'Belgian Camels' decal sheet from Pheon has a camel on it with the thistle, possibly Olieslagers?

Hello Beardie,

Must say 1st Sqdn of today ! I Don't know if it a personnal insignia at first, but there's almost a Thistle Sqdn in the belgian Air force.

More they also carry the motto "Nemo impune me lacessit" You can see it on Hurricane, Spitfire, Foxes and so on...

Plus some nice special painting on both Mirage and F-16 !

Sincerely.

CC

19 hours ago, Gorby said:

Just guessing. :whistle:

Closer than you think.

I will not contradict Skodadriver as that sounds plausible however I recall being told or read when a youngster that someone historically famous (possibly one of the Krankies? 😂) once stated in a rousing speech before battle that just like the Thistle, Scotland is beautiful to look at but impossible to seize (or dance on in the Vikings case).

Duncan B

Hello Dears,

Soooo, today was Scottish day !

In this place, Sorry for the Frenchies !:evil_laugh:

IMG_1262

And more precisely At Hougoumont's farm, where one can see this monument !

IMG_1266

Or this one ! Hey in this war, we were allied !!

IMG_1259

Me and my son and daughter !!

But now !! I'm engulfed in a dillema with Mem Sahib, and I put myself my finger in the gearbox…. As usual with me !!

So, Scottish Deer Hound ???

IMG_1307

Or ??? Irish Wolfhound ???

IMG_1345IMG_1328IMG_1333

whatever, She will decide after all !

There was some bands...

IMG_1277

More to come soon, as soon as Flickr will be a little bit more coopertive …

Sincerely.

CC

Here a Cell phone video, sorry for the quality !

Sincerely.

CC