1/48 RF-84F Thunderflash

My entry in this GB will be the Tanmodel 1/48 RF-84F. Looks like a nice kit, don't think it needs heaps of aftermarket. It includes decal options for French, Danish, Belgian, Norwegian and US ANG aircraft - unfortunately all from either the 50s or 70s though! Whilst I could take a leap of faith and assume that the ones that are depicted as being either just before or just after the 60s would have served in the 60s, I'd prefer to do something that clearly fits the bill, so I have a Berna decal sheet on order which includes French options from the 60s (and from pre-'66 so from the era when France was still in NATO). So whilst I haven't completely decided, I think it's likely this one will be French.

A quick box shot - as you can see I've not even taken the parts out of the bags yet. Looking forward to getting into this one.

Tanmodel 1/48 RF-84F

• Like 8

Very nice, I have seen this model advertised, it's tempting......very tempting!

....and I have the perfect scheme for her too!

Luftwaffe%20RF-84F.jpg

The Luftwaffe operated these from 1959 to 66 (I think, the book I have is in German). Originally they were supplied in NMF but buy the early 60's they were camouflaged, this is the send off scheme. They were replaced like my F-86K buy the F-104's.

It's probably too late now but there are decals available for the Luftwaffe NMF version and it fits the time period.

HaHen RF-84F decals

I'll definitely be following this build.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zebra said:

It includes decal options for French, Danish, Belgian, Norwegian and US ANG aircraft - unfortunately all from either the 50s or 70s though! Whilst I could take a leap of faith and assume that the ones that are depicted as being either just before or just after the 60s would have served in the 60s, I'd prefer to do something that clearly fits the bill, so I have a Berna decal sheet on order which includes French options from the 60s (and from pre-'66 so from the era when France was still in NATO)

ok I just looked up the details for you and all those countries appear to be ok, they all entered service around 1956-59 and ended service in the 70's, you may just have to check the squadrons. I have the details if you need them.

1 minute ago, trickyrich said:

ok I just looked up the details for you and all those countries appear to be ok, they all entered service around 1956-59 and ended service in the 70's, you may just have to check the squadrons. I have the details if you need them.

Thanks Rich. I'll have another look when the Berna decals show up. I have a strange urge to build something French anyway - not sure where that came from!

Cool subject. I built this kit last year (or was it the year before that... :hmmm:), and really enjoyed it. One thing I did found a bit difficult to get right, was the camera assembly in the nose. I got the feeling it was designed to be built with the covers open.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

Cool subject. I built this kit last year (or was it the year before that... :hmmm:), and really enjoyed it. One thing I did found a bit difficult to get right, was the camera assembly in the nose. I got the feeling it was designed to be built with the covers open.

Thanks Pete, I’ll look out for that

Wow, look at that box art, no wonder you bought the kit! If the kit is of the same quality it'll be a great one :D 

French armed forces are eligible from any point during the 60's so don't feel your subject must be pre-66 ;) 

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this. I missed out on this model as I was in hospital when it was released and by the time I got out they had all sold out! The Norwegian option is my favourite! 

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've got one of these to do at some time, torn between Belgian and French markings for mine.  Looking forward to seeing how this one comes along, hopefully pick up some tips along the way.

• Like 3

Time to get cracking! Not got a huge amount done so far - mostly a few sub-assemblies, and preparing internal parts for painting - I spent more time on the Beaufighter this weekend. This looks like it's going to be a pleasant build - it seems to be well engineered, and there's some nice detail - I'm not going to open the hatches for the camera bays but if I did, there would be a lot of detail to show.

Z

Thunderflash WIP

• Like 4

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looks good!

It always astonishes me how big these early US fighters are!

Think MiG-15, Ouragan, G91, or Gnat !!

Yes this looks like it’s going to be satisfyingly big. There’s a growing risk that this will set off a whole new modelling theme for me - US fighters of the 50s and 60s - which is under-represented in the stash at the moment. Can already feel the need for an F-105!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Whilst I've been prioritising the Beaufighter and Airfix builds, I had been doing bits of this here and there and hadn't really noticed how far I'd got! Internals are all done and I'm ready to bring the fuselage halves together.

RF-84F WIP

The cockpit and everything behind it went together quite nicely. The stuff in front of it, not so nicely. Quite difficult to get all those cameras aligned and I'll be lucky if they're all pointing out of windows when everything goes together! The instructions aren't all that clear on how things align, and this area of the kit isn't all that well engineered to be honest. I haven't put much effort into painting the cameras and camera bays since I'm not opening this area up and I don't think much of it will be visible. I still have the camera in the extreme nose to attach and it's hard to see how I can get a good strong attachment before the fuselage is together - but might be able to do it once the fuselage is assembled.

Despite all the faffing about with cameras, test fitting the fuselage shows that it ought to go together quite well. That's tomorrow's job.

cheers

Z

• Like 5

Fuselage went together quite nicely. With all the internals in there it did need to be held together quite firmly, but that's about as hard as it got.

I've also got the intakes assembled and first wing on. Like a few parts of this kit, the intake assembly suffers from a bit of vagueness about the instructions and similarly less than positive fit - everything fits ok, but things don't always align naturally, and it's not always obvious exactly where things should go and how they align. This time it's the intake ducts - I think I have them slightly off because the outer part of the intake doesn't fit onto the fuselage without some adjustment. It's a little reminiscent of the Bobcat Yak-28.

Conscious of the potential fit problems, at this point I deviated from the instructions, which would have you completely assemble the wing (including the intake, flaps and ailerons) before fitting it to the fuselage. I chose to leave off the intakes, flaps and ailerons and attach the bare wing first, to allow for adjustments to be made more easily. This seems to have paid off.

Here's how it looks tonight - progressing pretty quickly and I might be painting soon, although I have a couple of builds in the Airfix GB that I'm trying to get done before that GB ends, so I'm prioritising those.

RF-84F WIP

thanks for looking 
Z

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Now that all the old Airfix kits are built, back to this one.

Airframe is now more or less complete. Some fettling needed to get the right wing and intake on (like the left one). Most of the clear parts fit quite nicely although there's a bit of a ridge right at the front of the windscreen, which will be easily dealt with, and one of the camera windows sits a bit too proud of the fuselage for my liking, so I'll sand it flush and polish it back up again. Should get more done tomorrow.

RF-84F WIP

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 6