RAW NEF Newbie ..... Help!

Hi all, 

I've decided  to take the plunge and go RAW. My problem is that I am struggling to understand some of the process. I use two Nikon D300s and generally use Photoshop Elements 9 for post-processing. I have downloaded Nikon Capture NX-D. So, I now have questions:

1. At RIAT I set the camera to NEF+RAW uncompressed. Does that mean the card is holding two copies of my images, one JPEG and one NEF RAW? If so how do I retrieve the NEF RAWimages? 

3. There is a choice of 12-bit and 14-bit. What is best for rapid shooting and what is the loss of quality between them?

4.  Does CApture offer better processing performance than PS.?

any guidance appreciated for an old bloke ;)

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

hi Martin,

Just seen this, and my ten pence worth plus the usual caveat is;

1. You should have just one image per shot using that setting, which will be a RAW file, (the NEF part is Nikon's version of a RAW file). There should be no .jpg images present. I use lossless compressed, as I have found it makes no difference in quality for this kind of photography, but the files are roughly 25% smaller, so more shots per card. Memory cards are relatively cheap though so if you prefer the quality it is an option. 

2. On the D300s you will get more shots per memory card using 12-bit, versus 14-bit, because the 14-bit images are about 1.3 times bigger. I think it lowers your fps rate down to about 2.5 using 14-bit. The quality of the 14-bit image should be better, mainly the colour definition.

I haven't got a D300s to compare, but I would take a couple of comparative images on a tripod and compare the images - I'm guessing the difference would be minimal. I use 14-bit on my D500 as the buffer is monstrous.

3. A tricky one, and possibly the answer is personal preference? You need to convert a RAW file so that it can be processed. People have told me they prefer Nikon's software for converting the RAW image, but then use Adobe products for the processing. I can't be bothered with the faff, and so I just do it all in Lightroom. 

The caveat is that my experience has shown that when the original image captured is of good quality the processed one turns out ok as well - I think some of these slight differences in settings can make a lesser image easier to upgrade, but getting the right shot in the first place is more important.

HTH, and I hope you don't mind me including an image from Totterdown using my 12 year old D2Xs 😁. The exif data is shown in Flickr.

29839693268_5e18140b85_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks mate.

So my first, and fundamental one, is about setting the camera correctly. I must be doing something wrong. I have set (Shooting Menu) 1) Lossless Compressed ON and 2) 12-bit. I shoot and only see a jpg file in the camera :(

Hi,

I would say you have chosen jpeg on the Qual button.

The menu setting you have chosen has defined what the RAW setting will be if you choose RAW on the Qual button.

The control panel on top of the body will confirm what the current quality setting is.

I downloaded the manual and it is detailed in the Image Recording Options - page 67 onwards 😉

As usual there are too many options for most of us, which is what makes it so confusing until you have worked out what you want from the body :)

If you want to punt me across one of the files I'll check it over for you?

cheers

Hiya,

You are correct. I've now set her to:

Lossless compressed

RAW NEF only (i.e. no JPEG)

12-bit

:)

Thanks mate. I'll get out and shoot a few...... A new world for me!

M

• Like 1

Another bit of advice. I'm getting a new "PC" - probably an Apple Retina 5. A good choice for photography, I think? I'm also going to upgrade my PS from PS Elements 9 to Elements 2018. Does that sound logical?

Martin

Nice shot, by the way! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

In the media people go on about not using Adobe products, as they are now subscription only, ie monthly payments but PC World sell them for a single payment so I am confused.

I am trying to get a program called Luminar to work on an Apple computer, bought off a work colleague.

Presently stumped by Apple & I think it's because I have not bought it new.

Colleague is getting it back on Monday to sort it out!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 1:24 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Another bit of advice. I'm getting a new "PC" - probably an Apple Retina 5. A good choice for photography, I think? I'm also going to upgrade my PS from PS Elements 9 to Elements 2018. Does that sound logical?

Martin

Nice shot, by the way! ;)

hi Martin,

Just saw this.

Yes for the retina 5 - I have an old iMac, but it made quite a difference to my processing techniques as I could see more of what was going on versus what I was using before. I don't know about alternative screen technology these days though.

Elements, mmm. My opinion is that Elements is a user-friendly version of Photoshop without any of the more powerful processing tools. I use Lightroom which has better RAW processing tools than Elements, or at least used to. I used Elements when I first started digital photography, and I wouldn't go back as I would lose some of the tools I can go-to in LR. Organisation is better in Elements, but I can live with this as my organisational skills are a little wayward anyway. 😟

Useful overview here;

https://photographylife.com/lightroom-vs-photoshop-elements

Hi JM @Jinxman,

With the show season just about over my urgency has wained a little. Nevertheless I am grateful of your thoughts, mate.

It has been suggested to me that the Apple route (a new one) could be restrictive and that a custom built PC, having just the amount of RAM etc that I need, would suit better. That could then be upgraded as I might need in the future. Additionally

I can gave as many USB ports as I need rather than going the Wifi route with an Apple. I use at least six USBs regularly and the current Apple has only two (Thunderthingeys). I could then ad a photo-quality screen. 

I am am looking to then "upgrade" to PS CS6, which I know isn't new but I'm assured is ahead of Elements. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I used to have Lightroom & Photoshop as licensed individual products and to make sure they stayed relevant I was updating them every couple of years.  I know use the subscription photographer package and I now get both with every update as and when it happens for just under a tenner a month! (£9.98)  This is about what the biennial updates for both was costing me anyway so I'm quite happy with it.  Lightroom is a great tool for post production processing of RAW images whilst Photoshop allows a more artistic approach!

Hope this helps.

Thanks Derek. I, too, invested in LightRoom (Classic) which, of course, has Photoshop as part of the package. You are right, it is a fantastic tool. Sadly I haven't had time recently to "play" with it very much but I intend to very soon :)

Martin