Sucker for punishment? Pegasus 1/72 Spitfire Prototype

With my Tucano on final approach, I thought I would start something a little more challenging. I picked the Pegasus 1/72 Spitfire Prototype up from a recent model expo for A$2.

It looks a bit rough! Lots of flash, and the decals are unusable (out of register and also seriously cracked).

29690068068_9411f3984b_b.jpg

41753171610_e63061280c_b.jpg

Yikes! What have I let myself in for. 

First the decals - I put in an order for Xtradecal X72075 which has the appropriate markings (I have an AIrfix MkIA/IIA sitting in the stash which should make use of some of the other markings). A quick check on the internet, and I gather there is a fair amount of debate on colours. I am tossing up whether to use  RLM 76 as a few others on this site have, (as I have that colour available in my stash of paints 😁), or lashing out for some Tamiya XF23 as others have used. I also note there appears to be variations how folk have painted the propeller. Ill worry about that later, as (1) it will be a month before the decals get here to Australia) and (2) I suspect there will be lots of time filling, sanding, filling and repeat.

First task was to clear up the worst of the flash on the main parts. The plastic is actually quite soft, so this wasn't difficult to to do. 

29690068058_a280b2e476_b.jpg

That doesn't look so bad does it? Think again.

41753171830_8ca1e39494_b.jpg

Oh my. 

To work. Started by glueing the fuselage together, but only at the top - I think I will need a spacer or something later on to avoid big gaps at the wing roots.

As for the wings. Interesting mouldings. The out part of the wing is solid, with the central "gull wing part" fitting (sort of) to the inner part. There is a mismatch in the "height" of the gull wing part, which needed some spacers to brings things up to the right level  - I think a picture may help here.

42656093305_5e810a2e58_b.jpg

I then glued the wing section together, and offered it up as a dry fit to the fuselage. As expected I will need some wedges underneath, but from the top it doesn't look too bad at all.

42656093285_d7536b5ed6_b.jpg

Quick dry fit of the canopy. The cockpit parts are rather crude, but I don't think much will be visible so no great loss.

43561297541_2fdef5cb8f_b.jpg

• Like 15

Looking on with interest. 

Colour......I’ve seen it quoted as everything from a sky blue, via an undetermined Rolls Royce colour, to the grey Supermarine used for floats

Just a thought but doesn’t the Airfix kit have an early screen/canopy and if so, is it useable?

Trevor 

• Like 1

Hi Trevor. The Mk I/IIA boxing does have something similar, however I have already used it on a previous build so I will have to go with what I have.

Progress today. Sanding and filling of the fuselage, and inserting the seat into the cockpit.

42868334774_b78239fc26_b.jpg

The wingtip lights on the prototype are different to the "regular" Spitfire, so just for once I cut out the appropriate space on the wing tip, superglued in some scraps of clear sprue and then sanded to shape.

42868334444_b171a36c2c_b.jpg

With the wing section, more sanding and filling. I also attempted to hollow out some intakes. They need a bit of tidy up but better than a blank space.

42868334944_9916602248_b.jpg

• Like 10

This is coming together very nicely.  I wish I could sort out the wing to fuselage joint as quick on my Concorde.  I think if I can finish that beast there is nothing I can't build.

Stephen

• Like 2

Progress over the last day or so has been a bit fitful. Fitted the canopy with plenty of PVA to try an fill some nasty gaps, followed up with some Mr Surfacer 500 which will need a bit of fettling. I painted seams with silver paint to see where extra work was needed - which it will be in several places. Also worked on the undercarriage, using some spare parts from an unbuilt Italeri Vb and some plastic card as well as the white metal legs that came with the kit.

42765612105_8ac8d5eac0_b.jpg

42765612135_b28a369999_b.jpg

And looked what arrived here in Australia, little over a week after ordering from the UK:

42951972654_df35e93d6a_b.jpg

• Like 9

Looking good Simon.  Coming together nicely now. I keep looking at the one I have in the stash now. I must resist though as I need to build something larger. The decals sheet is very nice too.

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments. Managed to slap some

paint on over the weekend. A couple of brushed on coats of Italeri Acrylic RLM76. It has revealed a few spots that need a bit of extra work, but doesn’t look too bad.

43709423591_b733f94b38_b.jpg

• Like 5

Progress this weekend, painting finished, gloss coat on - a couple of brushed on coats of floor polish.

42045851000_e9b3bfd9db_b.jpg

Decaling underway. 

43137029624_3337013575_b.jpg

And all done. Had a few issues lining up the two layers of serials, and screwed a roundal up (thank heavens for spares). 

29992429598_0032577e48_b.jpg

• Like 13

On 8/6/2018 at 1:29 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Wow that's gorgeous looks like a great model  can't wait to see her standing on the undercarriage. 

Great work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris - very nearly there!

On 8/6/2018 at 5:52 AM, AdrianMF said:

That belies its origins. You have done a little very job. There’s a good model under the flash and big spruce gates!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I’m pretty happy with how it has worked out.

On 8/6/2018 at 6:26 AM, stevehnz said:

Looking really nice Simon, you've pulled off a great result with this old kit. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve - almost done.

9 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Top job on a beautiful aeroplane. $2, what a score! I'm excited to see your RFI.

The price does give me a bit of freedom to not be worried if it goes pear shaped, although I think I am rather attached to it now.

8 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

That is  great job on that old flash-monster. Well done with your construction, paint and decalling.

Thankyou!

7 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Very impressive

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Silk purse from a sow’s ear.  Brilliant job👏🏅

AW

Thanks!

Not much done tonight. Just a grey oil wash in what few panel lines there are - not too much as in the period photos it looks pretty clean.

43856265332_9dc6df73e4_b.jpg

42095865010_7f5d298bcd_b.jpg

42095865130_3b5f83abdf_b.jpg

• Like 5