1/48th Luftwaffe F-86K JG 74 Neuburg AB 1964 - completed

Looks as if you're in for a fun day out at the museum :D Does Mrs. Trickyrich know yet? :whistle:

Hey gang, will we start a sweepstake on how many kits Rich comes home with? :lol: 

• Haha 1

well.......  a nice trip to somewhere nice and warm and relaxing, a couple of cocktails and I reckon I can slip sneak it into the conversation without too much pain! :chair:It's the going for a ride in an AFV that may win her over!

I didn't think about models! What I really want is a model of an Australian Sentinel but I only know of a resin one and it's frighteningly expensive. But I maybe able to sneak something into my bag! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well there has been progress on her but it’s been quite slow!

To those interested I did manage to sneak off to the tank museum while the wife was having a Spa treatment. :wicked:  The museum was awesome, it’s huge with some really rare stuff ,was taking lots of photos until the battery in the camera went flat......plus I didn’t get to by anything as there wasn’t anything I was interested in. :(

Back to the beast. A lot of the time has been spent on just trying to remove/fill all the bubbles, they not as bad as on the Demon, but still a pain.

I finally finished off the cockpit and was able to close it up. The cockpit doesn’t look to bad at all and was worth the work.

IMG_2034-L.jpg

IMG_2035-L.jpg

I have nearly finished off the wheels.

IMG_2033-L.jpg

After still more filling, sanding and re-doing panel lines I gave her a coat of grey to see how it looks.  After more filling and sanding I’ve ended up with this!

IMG_2224-L.jpg

Having enough of all this I decided to paint her and see what happens.

I decided to do the upper surfaces first as I’m trying out some new Acrylic Lacquer by Mr Paint and was worried it would react with the normal acrylic I’m using for the underside.

I have some touching up to do as my BluTac sausages weren’t in the right spot, but it looks quite good.

IMG_2229-L.jpg

IMG_2230-L.jpg

I do know one thing....I’ve fallen in love with this new paint!!! :wub:  It’s amazing it’s so thin, it airbrushes perfectly and with multiple coats you lose no detail at all!! I love it so much I’m about to put an order in for around 20 bottles of the stuff to use on the F-14, Viggen, Su-24, plus some other projects I have planned.

I probably won’t be able to do too much more on her as I’m about to head off to the Gas Platform (the one I sailed on last year) for a couple of weeks. It’s going to be touch and go as to whether I do manage to finish her on time.

• Like 5

That's looks lovely to me. I've built a couple of the 1/48th Special Hobby Kilos and I reckon they are just as taxing but in different ways and yours at least looks as sleek as a Kilo should, unlike mine.  Did you n resolve the vortex vanes issue. I gave up on the tiny bits of brass supplied and used thin plastic card that could be cut once firmly in place.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

That's looks lovely to me. I've built a couple of the 1/48th Special Hobby Kilos and I reckon they are just as taxing but in different ways and yours at least looks as sleek as a Kilo should, unlike mine.  Did you n resolve the vortex vanes issue. I gave up on the tiny bits of brass supplied and used thin plastic card that could be cut once firmly in place.

thanks.

yes I did in a fashion, most of the vanes had broken off, so I removed the remaining and drilled holes in their place. I then glued thing plastic rod strips in there place, set at the correct angles. It's not perfect but it does look good.

Forgot to take photo or mention that, will post one in the morning.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a tiny update.

I have finished the major painting bit, I touched up the top, still looks a bit patchy which is good. Gee this paint is good, but it’s soooo thin it shows the slightest imperfection in the surface!

IMG_2253-L.jpg

Next up the undersides. I couldn’t get the colour I needed RAL7001 Silver Grey, in Mr Paint but found it in Mission paints range.

I’ve never used any of the Mission paints before, you use it straight from the bottle. It appeared to be quite thick and I though it’d come out splotchy. But I just upped the pressure a bit and she went on really nicely.

Once dried the finish was really good, this stuff is perfect for resin as it will hide slight surface imperfections, Mr Paint works better with lovely smooth plastic.

IMG_2252-L.jpg

I painted all the doors and airbrakes while I was doing the underside.

There’s not too much to go, with luck I might possibly get to finish her this weekend which will be nice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marlin said:

Nice colours, and nicely painted. :D 

/Bosse

thanks, you really have to try this paint, it's just amazing!!! It goes on so thin, it must be like how the Alclad does on. These lacquer paints are amazing, I think now I can finally re-start my RB-51 beast!! It my even show up in the KUTA GB.....gosh now I've done it!! :wall:

• Like 1

Just now, trickyrich said:

thanks, you really have to try this paint, it's just amazing!!! It goes on so thin, it must be like how the Alclad does on. These lacquer paints are amazing, I think now I can finally re-start my RB-51 beast!! It my even show up in the KUTA GB.....gosh now I've done it!! :wall:

Thanks Rich. 

If I was an airbrusher I sure would. 

But I'm a brush painter, and will stick to that. 

I've recently found AKAN's acrylic paints, and I love them.

So now I'm in the process of switching from Humbrol enamels to AKAN acrylics.

/Bosse 

arr ok, yeah lacquers would probably dry before the brush ever got to the model!!

I have never tried Akan paints but have heard lots of good stuff about them. They are a bit hard to get down here, like most stuff, am sort of surprised Mr Paint is even available here!

Ok this should be my final update, things have actually been progressing really quickly.

The decals are on. They are nice decals and super crisp but unfortunately they’re printed as one decal so you have to cut them out. No big dramas it’s just the edge does become quite noticeable. I tried lots of things to try and reduce it, but it’s still there.

IMG_2256-L.jpg

next some final painting on the nose and exhaust areas and fit the U/c. Plus the drop tanks, the Luftwaffe aircraft were only ever fitted with drop tanks, no Sidewinders which was suggested here and I know in quite a few other models.

IMG_2266-L.jpg

IMG_2267-L.jpg

IMG_2268-L.jpg

IMG_2269-L.jpg

I just need to do the final flat clear coat and fit some minor parts and she’s done. I won’t go to hard or if at all on the weathering. They looked to be quite clean aircraft, they just faded a bit with age. But to finish her in time I might leave her alone.

One worrying thing is a rattle in the cockpit. Something’s come adrift and there’ll be no way to fix it, as the canopy can’t come off now!!! :doh:

• Like 1

……..and she’s done!

I’m sort of so so about this build, it should have been much simpler than it was, some things I’m happy with and some not.

I so love the new paint I used, I can see myself swapping over to Mr Paint paints for most of my builds now. 

Not so happy with the decals, they are really nice but having to trim the backing film gave the decals sharp edges, which I found difficult to remove. Plus the model itself did have a few issues plus bubbles, so getting a nice finish takes a huge amount of work. 

…and the rattling was found to be the shroud for the radar scope!

IMG_2272-XL.jpg

IMG_2273-XL.jpg

IMG_2277-XL.jpg

IMG_2278-XL.jpg

IMG_2280-XL.jpg

IMG_2282-XL.jpg

I just have the EBR to finish, which I should today and I’m done with this GB, it’s seems to have taken forever to finish them all but it was fun. Have my M42A1 Duster on the way for the next in the series.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Col. said:

For all the trouble this one gave you've produced another cracker Rich. Looks great and in good company with her naval sibling.

thanks, they do look good together.

• 2 months later...