1/48th Luftwaffe F-86K JG 74 Neuburg AB 1964 - completed

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Oooh! :wub: Do we need a second Hawker GB?

we probably could, the last one was very popular! Though there is the chance of the D Day GB? 

My only wish was it had been the "Car Door" type, the RAAF tested 3 of them in the desert, they were in desert colour scheme as well (well they sort of had to be).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

we probably could, the last one was very popular! Though there is the chance of the D Day GB? 

My only wish was it had been the "Car Door" type, the RAAF tested 3 of them in the desert, they were in desert colour scheme as well (well they sort of had to be).

You can always try to get the old Revell car door type and get the extra resin parts from MDC for it. 😉

Cheers,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arniec said:

You can always try to get the old Revell car door type and get the extra resin parts from MDC for it. 😉

Cheers,

I've said it before Arnold, you're an evil person putting all these ideas in my head!! :D  But not this time......unless I can find another one on evilBay cheap. I got this one for less than it would have cost me to get it direct from MDC! 

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Looks like you’re going to have your hands full with this one Rich! That Typhoon truly is a thing of beauty.

James

As you may have noticed I'm a bit of a resin fiend, love and hate the stuff! The MDC gear along with Fisher Model & Pattern probably turn out the best resin models you can buy. The quality of them rival the best plastic stuff from Japan. Unfortunately so does the price!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arniec said:

Cheers,

Sounds nowhere near complicated enough for Rich going down such a straight-forward route Arnold ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I've said it before Arnold, you're an evil person putting all these ideas in my head!! :D  But not this time......unless I can find another one on evilBay cheap.

Me evil?! :blink: Noooooo. :devil::devil::devil: Those are all positive ideas. ;)

By the look of your answer I have already did it.:D

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just a quick update as it’s pretty late here and I’m quite tired....long day/week!

This is basically what I’ve been doing for the past couple of days.

As mentioned earlier I have a new/correct resin seat for her so now I could start building or more re-build the ejector seat so it’ll look something like this.

IMG_1803-XL.jpg

I ending up using a couple of bits from the original frame, the rest is plastic rod.

IMG_1808-L.jpg

It’s not quite there but it looks 100% better. I’ve had to make the ejector seat rails short as with most on these resin models the cockpit tub walls are not square!

IMG_1809-L.jpg

A few minor details and some paint and it’ll look perfect.

The U/c was the other item replaced. As can be seen there is a bit of difference between the two sets, especially with the nose gear! The original gear seemed to be too long, the aircraft actually sat quite squat on the ground.

IMG_1804-L.jpg

A can be seen the originals bit are all too long, the nose gear and wheel wouldn’t fit and it’s in its fully compressed state! I have since shortened the forward section of the new wheel well as well, as it was a bit too long.

IMG_1805-L.jpg

The main gear has the same issues, in its compressed state the original gear wouldn’t have fitted. I have to make new mounts for the new gear so I’ll set the correct heights then.

IMG_1806-L.jpg

The new nose wheel well is already to fit, I just need to make a mount for the gear and actuator to fit onto. Once it’s in place I can finish tiding up the actual wheel openings.

IMG_1811-L.jpg

IMG_1812-L.jpg

Hopefully I can get the cockpit painted and fitted this weekend, then I can close up the fuselage, as the next major tasks are getting the nose to fit correctly and sort out the cockpit opening, there’s something not quite right there. The seat can go in much later. I may even get the wing on this weekend as well.

• Like 6

Great goodness Rich, you don't half like  taking the long way home (cue Supertramp :D ) it makes my Airfix & SH D/Ks look quite beguiling  in their straightforward simplicity. :) I'm sure your WIP & finished item will be way more interesting/ impressive than mine will be come the day.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2018 at 6:17 PM, stevehnz said:

Great goodness Rich, you don't half like  taking the long way home (cue Supertramp :D ) it makes my Airfix & SH D/Ks look quite beguiling  in their straightforward simplicity. :) I'm sure your WIP & finished item will be way more interesting/ impressive than mine will be come the day.

Steve.

thanks Steve, and if I had any sense I'd build the Airfix...again. I built her years ago just after it was released. I remember it was a super nice one to build, though i stuffed up the paint job.

I had been going really great with the seat until I dropped it just before the clear coat and broke of the seat handles, they've disappeared so will have to replace them. :wall:I'm going to cheat with the panels in the cockpit, I have lots of leftover Eduard PE IP's so I'll use them to help detail the tub. 

• Like 2

Thanks, I'm now getting really close to closing up the fuselage.

I'm always a bit surprised at how they can sometime get the sizes so wrong. Even if you don't have accurate drawings at hand just lining up the actual parts as I did quickly shows up size issues. Oh well it gives me something to do and keeps the families of the AM supplies fed.

• Haha 1

Time for another update, this is what has been done since last.

I’ve started to fill in the gaps around the new nose wheel well, once the fuselage is closed I can finish this off, which will be a nice quick job.

IMG_1820-L.jpg

I tidied up around the new side intake on the fuselage.

IMG_1819-L.jpg

I then had to figure out how the cockpit will sit.

As can be seen there is no mount for it, just some cut outs in the fuselage for the side walls......which are wrong!

IMG_1811-L.jpg

So after lots of test fitting and comparing to photos I’ve come up with this.

IMG_1823-L.jpg

Not very pretty but it seems to do the trick. Height wise it’s just about spot on.

IMG_1824-L.jpg

The cockpit and seat are just about done, I just need to finish up some painting and give them a coat of flat clear. Excuse the dust. The seat actually came out well compared to the original and with the canopy closed it'll look just right.

IMG_1825-L.jpg

The instrument panel and cowling are the next things to be played with, the cowling and bits on top look sort of correct the IP wasn’t and the whole thing had a bit of a lean to it. So I’ve cut it all up and rebuild it using the PE panel from the Eduard interior set.

IMG_1821-L.jpg

If I get it right I may end up looking something like this....maybe.

F-86K%20Instrument%20panel-XL.jpg

It should all look nice and busy looking when done. Getting the cockpit opening and front and rear sections of it right will be fun!

IMG_1816-XL.jpg

But all does sort of fit and sit right which is a big help!

IMG_1822-L.jpg

• Like 7

I don’t really know if I’ve done a lot at all, I do know though it his taken quite a bit of time to do what I’ve done!

Well the fuselage is closed and the wings are on, that is an achievement but boy it was some work.

IMG_1845-L.jpg

IMG_1848-L.jpg

The fuselage went together reasonably easy and I didn’t need to use any alignment posts. 

The wings.....hmmm not so easy and once they were on I found they are ever so slightly warped and more to the point twisted!

IMG_1849-L.jpg

They’re not really bad or noticeable, so I’m still tossing up whether to just leave them of try giving them a quick bath in hot water. There’s no way I could ever remove them now.

I’ve decided to fit intake/exhaust covers so I chopped off part of the intake duct and fitted the nose.

IMG_1846-L.jpg

Again not quite the simple task as the profile was different when the two parts were lined up. After a frustrating hour or so of checking drawings an measurements I think fuselage was too short.....may be, I gave up in the end as I got way too confused. The simplest thing was to just add a plastic shim to fill in the gap. 

IMG_1850-L.jpg

No reshaping of the resin on the fuselage or nose was required, I just needed to shape the new plastic....looks like it was made to be there. Big relief as there are some complex curves in that area!

I could now fix up the cockpit opening and area around it as well.

IMG_1847-L.jpg

One nice thing I am quite happy with is everything seems to fit under the canopy nicely, the canopy actually fits and it all sits nicely......almost unbelievable!

IMG_1851-L.jpg

IMG_1852-L.jpg

The next big task is to clean up all the joins, they’re not as nice as I had hoped, plus I need to finish off the cockpit. Still a bit to go but am sort of happy with where I’m at for the moment.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

all I can say is that I haven't been distracted by lovely resin things....

Ok I haven’t done much to this build at all, she’s waiting for me to clean up all the joins and fill in some nasty holes around some of those wing joins!

Good news is I’ve finally got the colours I need for her. It’s a bit of a strange mix of lacquer and water based paints so I’d better get the painting order right! I’ve used neither of these paints before but have heard good things about them.

IMG_1871-L.jpg

With luck I’ll get a bit done this weekend.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Nice choice of paints, are you using the mission models paint for the undersides, "silbergrau", i must get me some of those mrp ones to try, looking good so far

yeah the Mission is fr the undersides. I had so much trouble trying to find the right colours and no one here had all the colours I needed from the one manufacturer. I've heard good things about both of these paints so am looking forward to trying them out.

I may look as if I have more than I need but I intend to build a few more Luftwaffe aircraft of this era.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten about her.....

I'll have an update for her this weekend, she's getting close to the painting stage, I just need to finish the cockpit. Most of the filling and tiding up is complete, the radome is on and it didn't fit very well.

I'm currently working on the elevators, the shape of them is wrong and I've just finished making the mounts for them from brass and aluminium.

• Like 1

all good things.......

Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve updated this one!!! Progress has been a bit slow with other projects and this one fighting me a bit!

Right what have I done....well mainly trying to close up that cockpit which seems to be taking forever and cleaning up the fuselage.

I’ve just about finished up the cockpit, all the bits are in, I just need to finish up the last bits of painting.  As usual, not too much will be seen, which is nice as the Collect-Aire bits were pretty horrible. I still think there’s something not quite right with the cockpit opening but at this stage it’s too late to correct!

IMG_1968-L.jpg

At least the canopy fits really well.

IMG_1970-L.jpg

I have spent quite a bit of time on the fuselage, cleaning it up, again there have been small fit issues everywhere. The radome is fitted but as can be seen it’s now super thin, it didn’t fit! It was way too big for the fuselage, initially I added a strip of plastic around the fuselage to bulk it up a bit to match the radome, but it didn’t look right. In the end I had to sand back the profile to match the fuselage, now the radome is super thin!

IMG_1959-L.jpg

Because of issues with the nose wheel well and intake, I had to cut the intake off short, to hide this I’m fitting intake and exhaust covers. These I’ve made up.

IMG_1962-L.jpg

So they fit nicely I’ve fitted stops in the intake and exhaust to stop them falling inside.

IMG_1960-L.jpg

The mounts for the elevators were completely wrong so I removed them and replaced with brass tube, the mounting locations in the fuselage were made with aluminium tube.

IMG_1957-L.jpg

Plus the profile of the tips of the elevators was wrong, so they needed to be reshaped.  I’m not sure at the moment how I’m going to replace or fix the tiny airflow vanes on this section yet.

IMG_1958-L.jpg

IMG_1967-L.jpg

All the small bits have been started on, the wheels are done, the air brakes were full of bubbles!

IMG_1964-L.jpg

The proper drop tanks were badly moulded so I’ve had to modify the other set, but they both have a couple of MONSTER bubbles in them, they haven’t broken/cracked yet! Fingers crossed.

IMG_1965-L.jpg

The underside is pretty much completed, I’m really just now waiting on the cockpit to be closed up.

IMG_1971-L.jpg

At least now she looks like a Sabre-Dog.

IMG_1966-L.jpg

Unfortunately progress will halt for a wee bit, off to Darwin this weekend, away with work next week, but the following weekend I’m on holidays for two weeks so hopefully I can finish her then....maybe!

• Like 5

one thing I will say about these Collect-Aire models is that they make you work for it!!!

They may appear to be quick basic and simple (yeah I know it's resin) but there's always surprises waiting for you at every step!!

There'll be a short recess on the build while I go up to Darwin for a few days.

The following weekend I start 2 weeks holidays!!! :yahoo:I'll be taking the wife away to Carins but will sneak in a visit to this place!

http://ausarmour.com/museum/

• Like 2