Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel "Br.1"

I did this for the '100 years of the RAF' GB, you can see the build thread there.

This is my first WnW's kit I have finished (Fokker DVII is in progress) and they are superb kits, any errors are purely my 'cack-handedness'!!

Paints used were Vallejo ModelAir, with the PC10 and CDL being MRP products which spray beautifully, but being solvent based are smelly and a bit more involved to clean up.

Two new photo's showing the rigging I missed :huh:

DSC_0002DSC_0001

DSC_0023DSC_0019DSC_0014DSC_0011

Edited by DaveyGair
Missed Rigging!
  • Like 36

Very nice Davey, that is an excellent model and all the better for a first WNW.  I have just started the same kit and am looking forward to it.  

Andrew. 

Beautiful!

Really like the delicate dirtying of the underside.

What did you use for rigging/control wires, may I ask?

ATB

Rick

Thanks for the kind comments. I have the 'Ships Camel' boxing to do, as well as a couple of others.

3 hours ago, Spad said:

What did you use for rigging/control wires, may I ask?

I used mainly EZ-line fine. I started using 7 thou E guitar string but while handling they would pop off with the airframe moving slightly.

The small bobbin bit at the front of the inner strut's (sorry, don't know the technical terms!) and wires are made up from guitar wire.

Davey.

• Thanks 1

Brilliant!  Great wood effect too.

I hope you won't mind me pointing out that you have missed out some rigging between the wings .......

Regards

Dave

Thanks for the kind comments, but if looked at closely it wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny!

2 hours ago, Epeeman said:

I hope you won't mind me pointing out that you have missed out some rigging between the wings .......

Regards

Dave

No, don't mind at all Dave. I've had a look in the destructions and can't see what I missed, except the little bits in the corners of the opening in the upper wing? 

Davey.

18 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Regards

Dave

Doh! and double DOH!!  Had another look and, yes, I have missed out some quite substantial rigging pieces between the wings! Will sort it, sometime.... soon  :banghead:

Davey.

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

Doh! and double DOH!!  Had another look and, yes, I have missed out some quite substantial rigging pieces between the wings! Will sort it, sometime.... soon  :banghead:

Davey.

17 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Thanks for the kind comments, but if looked at closely it wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny!

No, don't mind at all Dave. I've had a look in the destructions and can't see what I missed, except the little bits in the corners of the opening in the upper wing? 

Davey.

Sorry, Davey -

I feel a bit guilty letting you know now ................

Everybody (including the best) makes mistakes including myself so beat yourself up too much.

Regards

Dave

Added the missing rigging wire. I wouldn't care, but I double and treble checked to see if I had missed any wires, but there you go, must be my age! :shrug:

DSC_0001

• Like 2

She's a beauty! I built the same model and chose the same colour scheme :D but I have had some issues with the main transfers cracking! :( have you experienced the same?

4 hours ago, McNab said:

She's a beauty! I built the same model and chose the same colour scheme :D but I have had some issues with the main transfers cracking! :( have you experienced the same?

Many thanks.

Yes! As I believe others have, those big roundels did not want to settle over the detail without lots of Micro Sol/Set!  If you had a good look at the model there are plenty of faults, the photo's tend to hide all that (well, the angle of the shots do 🙂), see the build thread in the '100 years of the RAF' GB.

Davey.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sanfrandragon said:

Thats an awesome model.  As a Wingnut Wings and WW1 aircraft novice, what are PC10 and CDL?  Any tips on how to achieve that wonderful wood finish?

PC10 is one of the two main colours used by the RFC for uppersurfaces (the other being PC12). CDL is clear-doped linen. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

PC10 is one of the two main colours used by the RFC for uppersurfaces (the other being PC12). CDL is clear-doped linen. 

Yes, sorry, it would only have been a little while ago I would be asking the same question !!  As the WnW instructions mention, it apparently is a subject much discussed over the years as to the actual colour of PC10, but like all colours will vary depending on manufacturer (in this case I believe this was a mix of colours made in house and in the field), application and how they weathered. I don't worry about such things as shades and stuff, how can anyone prove otherwise, that's what I say!

12 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Thats an awesome model.  As a Wingnut Wings and WW1 aircraft novice, what are PC10 and CDL?  Any tips on how to achieve that wonderful wood finish?

Thank you very much. I looked at various methods on this forum and came up with my own.

After spraying your favourite undercoat, a must I've found with water-based Acrylics, I sprayed Vallejo ModelAir 71.077 Wood, its a bit translucent so needs a few coats to build up the colour.

When that's dry using a flat wide brush, build up coats of Vallejo 73.203 Umber Wash (it's one of their Game Colors).  It is obviously very watery and dries quickly, so as you build it up (effectively darkening the 'wood' as you go) it creates a streaking effect for the wood grain.

When that's done to your satisfaction I apply one coat of Vallejo Modelcolor 70.935 Transparent Orange which kind of brings out the whole effect. I finish off with a coat of Gloss Varnish.

I did this for all the wood effects on the model, the fuselage cockpit coaming and sides were darkened with a few go's of the Umber Wash whereas the cockpit interior frame and wing struts just had one coat of Umber.

This just my method but works well for me and looks OK I think.

Davey.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2018 at 8:29 AM, DaveyGair said:

Yes, sorry, it would only have been a little while ago I would be asking the same question !!  As the WnW instructions mention, it apparently is a subject much discussed over the years as to the actual colour of PC10, but like all colours will vary depending on manufacturer (in this case I believe this was a mix of colours made in house and in the field), application and how they weathered. I don't worry about such things as shades and stuff, how can anyone prove otherwise, that's what I say!

Thank you very much. I looked at various methods on this forum and came up with my own.

After spraying your favourite undercoat, a must I've found with water-based Acrylics, I sprayed Vallejo ModelAir 71.077 Wood, its a bit translucent so needs a few coats to build up the colour.

When that's dry using a flat wide brush, build up coats of Vallejo 73.203 Umber Wash (it's one of their Game Colors).  It is obviously very watery and dries quickly, so as you build it up (effectively darkening the 'wood' as you go) it creates a streaking effect for the wood grain.

When that's done to your satisfaction I apply one coat of Vallejo Modelcolor 70.935 Transparent Orange which kind of brings out the whole effect. I finish off with a coat of Gloss Varnish.

I did this for all the wood effects on the model, the fuselage cockpit coaming and sides were darkened with a few go's of the Umber Wash whereas the cockpit interior frame and wing struts just had one coat of Umber.

This just my method but works well for me and looks OK I think.

Davey.

Thanks for such a detailed explanation.  Your build has inspired me to try one these amazing models.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:15 PM, DaveyGair said:

7 thou E guitar string

That struck me as a good idea those light gauge Es are plenty thin... And they break often enough that you'd have a decent supply without using new ones!  I remember blagging a couple of old D strings from a guitar player I worked with about 40 years back to make leadouts for a couple of C/L planes... Worked a treat.

Edited by Uncle Pete