Clay kicking Vignette

Tunnel and mine warfare was a brutal and indiscriminate method of weakening entrenched enemy positions, practised by both the German and Allied forces. The British Forces however had a significant advantage from the use of a technique called clay kicking. Initially used to excavate tunnels beneath Manchester, this method was transferred to Flanders by Major John Norton-Griffiths and the Manchester Moles. Not only was clay kicking near silent, it offered increased productivity deep beneath the battlefields through the clay. Additional background information can be found here: https://www.miningmagazine.com/mining-the-past/opinion/1263557/tunnelling-deep

For my first groupbuild and diorama, I'm planning to represent the below scene. Progress has started today on creating the backdrop. Advice always appreciated and looking forward to seeing everyone else's efforts. 

tcgw_09.jpg

• Like 13

What a fantastic idea for a build, definitely looking forward to seeing this one come together. What scale are you planning to build in?

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What a fantastic idea for a build, definitely looking forward to seeing this one come together. What scale are you planning to build in?

Cheers Ozzy, it'll be in 1/35, figures from Tamiya.

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

That is a good idea, showing an important aspect of the war - a good choice!

Thanks Robert, fascinating and frightening at the same time.

• Like 2

I read about this in Sebastian Faulks book Birdsong, utterly chilling for a claustrophobe like me, I had to put it down & go for a walk occasionally, so strongly did it affect me but also beautifully written & hugely interesting. A lot of Kiwi miners were involved in the front line tunnelling too. I'll be interested to see thus come together.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Great subject for a diorama,My Great Grandfather was an ore miner,joined the Canadian Engineer's and served with the 2nd Tunnelling Coy

digging mines around Messines late 1917,will be following this with extra interest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks gents, hopefully I will do it justice. 

Made the backdrop and started on the props to support the tunnel, some further work will need to be done, but its started. In reality the props would be 9 inches approximately and the tunnel around 5 feet. This is not built to any exact known measurements but what feels about right. 

DSC_1932

DSC_1939

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I were to be picky, though it could simply be camera foreshortening, to my eye the timber roof supports look over scale but other than that, I think this is an excellent build!

One of the most interesting books I have read was War Underground (possibly by Alexander Barry), which I thoroughly recommend!

Edited by Tony C
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the positive feedback gents. Tony, yes I think you're right, they're a little bit wider but should be approximately 9" when scaled up. 

I have started adding finishing touches to the model, which I should get round to completing next week all being well. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...