P-47D Thunderbolt, 63 FS, 56 FG (Capt. Walker Mahurin), March 1944

Tamiya's lovely P-47D 'Razorback' OOB. Painted with Gunze / Tamiya acrylics, weathered with Oils and Pigments.

One of my Go-To kits, as it's so well engineered and is a pleasure to build, and you end up with a Jug - what's not to like.

Not a huge fan of the Ammo Matt varnish though, it had a tendency to rub off when weathering, so probably only really works as a final coat

Wip available here

P1000349.JPG

P1000350.JPG

P1000351.JPG

P1000352.JPG

P1000353.JPG

P1000354.JPG

P1000355.JPG

Peter

• Like 35

Great build but that aircraft is too early for the rockets. I can guarantee you that it never carried them, as the 56th only ever used them once or twice after D-day and hated them and never used them again! I'm not sure they used the big belly tank that early either, it would have been either the 75 gal teardrop tanks or the 108 gal paaper tank.

thanks

Mike

12 hours ago, Mikemx said:

Great build but that aircraft is too early for the rockets. I can guarantee you that it never carried them, as the 56th only ever used them once or twice after D-day and hated them and never used them again! I'm not sure they used the big belly tank that early either, it would have been either the 75 gal teardrop tanks or the 108 gal paaper tank.

thanks

Mike

The big belly tanks were first used on 20 Feb 1944 and the M10 rockets were first used in Nov that year. The rocket tubes were found to create extra drag and affected stability but were used operationally. 

Source: 

http://www.56thfightergroup.co.uk/history.htm

Edited by Ash Pitcher

3 hours ago, Ash Pitcher said:

The big belly tanks were first used on 20 Feb 1944 and the M10 rockets were first used in Nov that year. The rocket tubes were found to create extra drag and affected stability but were used operationally. 

Source: 

http://www.56thfightergroup.co.uk/history.htm

Bud Mahurin was shot down 27th March 1944, and although he returned to the UK he was not allowed to fly operationally again in the ETO (due to being helped by the French Resistance). This would imply that the belly tank is possible, but the rockets not.

• Like 2

Very nice build. 

Kit manufacturers seem to really like the rockets, even though they were hardly ever used. And certainly not on this aircraft.

At the end of the day, this is the loadout the instructions offer for that scheme - they say any of the 3 drop tank styles + the Rockets and no pylons, and i've not got a Jug with rockets in my collection - personally not a huge fan of them but hey got one now.

Remember - it's a model not a replica, but Tamiya's Jug is a lovely kit.

• Like 3

Very nice Thunderbolt, and good markings choice.

Weathering looks just right, only as you said, matt varnish is really matt :)

Joking, no complains....

Best regards Djordje

Edited by djos

Looks really great and was thinking only yesterday of doing this scheme in 1/72. What's the story behind the different-sized underwing stars & bars? I knew Jugs carried them under both wings but it would be good to learn the detail.

Justin