Am I late? RIAT 2018

Avgas

First time out with suitable gear which took some getting used to - 5000 shots for a return of 200ish ok shots tells the story 😀

I tend to go a bit haywire in post (noob enthusiasm) but here they are, some of my favourites. Advice/pointers eagerly accepted!

vJV8a6.jpg

vJVCPq.jpg

vJVsyW.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8771052a4e1e8d84vJNW8e.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=8771052a4e1e8d84

vJNTOF.jpg

vJNQfG.jpg

vJNvAO.jpg

vJNjQP.jpg

vJNGr2.jpg

vJH0rA.jpg

vLGewJ.jpg

vJVqxQ.jpg

vJVuhx.jpg

Edited by Avgas
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

More,  more!  :clap2:

Mike

I'm afraid they're all a little samey Mike, but I'll scratch through them and see what I have. That's the problem when you stand in one spot for the entirety of the event!

53 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Nice photos - the second one is stunning, a real WOW!

Thanks Gorby :)

10 hours ago, colin said:

Why are you asking for pointers, seriously we should be asking you 😉

Come and have at my recycle bin - it'll change your mind 😀

But seriously... Anyone with a Sigma 150-600 C have any pointers with settings? I got mine a week before the show and didn't have any practice time. I find focussing, especially when attempting it at 450mm and above pretty much impossible. I have to start at 250-300 and follow while zooming in.

1 hour ago, FalkeEins said:

very good, nicely done!  ..but no 617 flyby? Was that not the highlight of the show ?

It was a highlight, along with the US heritage flight but as I was camping and not inside the airbase, the action was just too far away. I'll definitely be going in next year!

Thanks for the comments everyone - I've tried 'liking' them all but BM is giving me hassles and won't allow me do so.

Edited by Avgas

22 minutes ago, Avgas said:

But seriously... Anyone with a Sigma 150-600 C have any pointers with settings? I got mine a week before the show and didn't have any practice time. I find focussing, especially when attempting it at 450mm and above pretty much impossible. I have to start at 250-300 and follow while zooming in.

I love the knife edge trash hauler. :)

Re settings - what body are you using it with? (If it's Nikon, I may be able to help, if it's Canon or any of the pretenders, I won't be much use) I take it that the 'C' in the description refers to the 'Contemporary' version; if so, you may be stuck, regardless of settings. The more expensive Sport version is tuned for faster focus, and it does make a difference.

If you'd like to PM me to save cluttering up an excellent photo essay, please feel free to do so,

Just love the way you've captured the subtle panel lines on the Typhoon wing!:clap2: 

panel_lines_on_typhoon_at_riat_2018_by_a

I have a Nikon D300 but there's no way I could get quality photographs like that.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, yea when I and/or the lens got it right then I really liked the results. Shows there's potential there if I can figure out what works and what doesn't more consistently!

I can't really comment on your camera as I'm a Canon user except to say that at a glance they don't appear worlds apart. Mines a 50D from way back that I purchased used when I purchased my lens. The lens made the bigger difference when compared to the kit lens from my old 1100D, which was rubbish, frankly.

Edited by Avgas

30 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Nikon D300

Do yourself a favour and consider a D7200, D7500 or D500. 2 (D7200) or 3 (the others) generations on from the D300, and the improvements are... mind blowing.

The D7200 should be available at a discount, seeing as it's the old model. And D500s are available lightly used- a pro body for just a couple of songs, what's not to like!

22 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Great photos........I'm not a big fan of Aerobatic Display Teams but that shot of the Frecce third from bottom is outstanding !

Thank you. I'm glad I could do them some justice! They really were brilliant every time I watched them over the weekend. In my opinion the best aerobatic team there.

I've got quite a few pics of them and anybody who's kept tropical fish might know what I mean when I say they remind me of a school of Cardinal Tetras.

Thank you for sharing those with us. I concur they are really very good. My favorites are 2nd in the top lot. F16 I think. Number 4 in the first batch fantastic underside detail. Number 10....really cool and I loved number 6 in the 2nd batch.

Regards

MM 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Amazing photography- thank you for posting.

14 hours ago, missile-monkey said:

Thank you for sharing those with us. I concur they are really very good. My favorites are 2nd in the top lot. F16 I think. Number 4 in the first batch fantastic underside detail. Number 10....really cool and I loved number 6 in the 2nd batch.

Regards

MM 

Thank you - I'm glad you enjoyed them!