RAF No. 605 Squadron Mosquito Mk.VI

Marko Jeras

Dear Gentelman,

I am preparing to build Tamiya 1/32 Mossie as 605. (County of Warrwick) Squadron aeroplane.

My problem is that on all photographs of 605. Sq. Mosquitos have shrouded exhausts, many of them have underside painted in black.

Period I am interested in is autumn of 1944. Is it possible that all aeroplanes came from Series I of production?

605. used Mossies for both night Intruder and daylight Ranger missions.

Aeroplane that I would like to make model of is PZ343 (UP-B). I believe that in that aeroplane W/Cdr. R.A. Mitchell and his navigator F/Lt. S.H. Hatsell did not return from night Intruder mission to Germany on 17 March 1945.

I need your help to clear my concerns about cammouflage and exhaust shrouds.

Thank you for reading.

With kind regards,

Marko Jeras

Zagreb, Croatia

Hello, Marko

I would consider exhaust shrouds to be essential on night intruder missions. Also, modified night fighter scheme (black lower surfaces) was standard, although some intruder Mosquitos operated in regular night fighter scheme (SGM overall with a pattern of DG on top surfaces).

I can hardly imagine you have missed this one still ... :

https://www.airwarhistory.com/horn-bad-meinberg/

Unfortunately, there is no guaranties Mosquito on the photo really is PZ343. Cheers

Jure

Hello, Marko

I thought this may be the case. You may try this forum, if you have not came across it already:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/mosquito-help-t120669.html

In the second post known 605 Sqn Mosquito FB Mk.VI serials are listed. Oddly enough, PZ434 is not included. Still, with a bit of luck, running those serials through web browser might produce a result. Of course, judging by few available photos of 605 Sqn's FB VIs there is a fair chance the plane in question had some kind of name, image or mission markings painted on her nose. Cheers

Jure

On 22/07/2018 at 12:48, Marko Jeras said:

Hi Jure!

thank you for input. I know of that photo, but I doubt it is UP-B. All Mossies of 605. at that time had plane ID letter painted in white on nose.

I'd not rely on that info to identify a subject

for example; 610 squadron Spitfires during the Battle of Britain had over sized [48 inch] code letters. There are plenty of photos showing this. I had a friend who flew DW-D at this time. I would have modelled his Spitfire with 48 inch codes, but I found a rare photo of his Spitfire; it had smaller 24 inch code letters