Blank Decal Paper

Uncle Pete

I've never used do-it-yourself decals but I'd like to have a go at some point.  Can anybody give me any general advice and tips on using it and maybe what brand would be most user-friendly?  Reason I ask is I'm thinking of doing a couple of builds for the missus and I'm not expecting to be able to source decals of shoes, handbags and M&S logos to stick on a pink Spitfire.  (Did I mention I'm a whimsical old fogey?)

Edited by Uncle Pete
  • Haha 1

a; if using an ink jet printer

a.1. anything printed in colour on clear decal film will only show up best on white or silver background. Put a coloured image onto pink background and unless its a very light pink the decal will not show up and then its colours will be tinged pink. You might be able to allow for that in the colour value of the image

a.2. to get full colour images showing on coloured backgrounds you need to print on white decal paper

a.3. printed black on clear decal paper will show up on most coloured surfaces, but not all

• Thanks 1

It’s something that I’ve been that I’ve been thinking about myself as I’ve recently re-kindled my ‘wargame’ figure painting which will need a fair few repeatable designs.

One of the best tips I’ve found is here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/291498-making-a-banner-with-custom-waterslide-decals/

Disregard the subject matter, but note the use of using white paint to enhance the colour of the DIY printed decals.

Mart

• Thanks 2