1944 - Somewhere in France

This looks nicely done & has quite a lot of atmosphere about it. I reckon the chappie with the field glasses is just asking for someone to take a shot at him if he hangs around up there too long. :D

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sairou - Yep you're right, he is pointing at a battle plan diagram. It was difficult in the beginning to create it because i tried to do that on the mud but you could not see it very clearly and then i decided to add a little bit black colour, so it will be more perceived. 

Hi Steve -Thank you for the nice comment. 😂 

Edited by Dimitris Vasilopoulos
  • Like 1

Always great to see a Tiger in a diorama. A simple layout is often the most effective.

A couple of tips, if I may?

First, don't use lichen for plants/bushes. It NEVER looks real and unless you keep it damp with a spray of water now and then, it will dry out and crumble to nothing over the years.

Secondly, I suspect that's a MiniArt building, with vacuuformed walls. I've built a couple of these now, and those 'seams' where the inner and outer walls fit together are royal pains in the butt. They don't look right and provide very little contact area for gluing the parts together. What I do is stuff folded-up cardboard , or rolled up paper inside the walls and douse these with thin CA. That fixes the inner and outer parts together nicely. Then I use putty or similar to fill the seams and file and sand them down to make the join invisible.

Finally, I always question dead bodies in dioramas if they aren't necessary. Sure, if this was a diorama of a blown up Tiger, a diorama of trench warfare or a portrayal of a battle, then yes, dead bodies have their place, but I see no reason for the body in the ruin.

The last point aside, I do like your diorama and I look forward to seeing more.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Hi Badder,

Thank you for your tips.
What do you suggest to use for plants or shrubs asides lichen?
You are right, this building is from MiniArt and it was very difficult to put the to two parts together (a lot of gaps and different finishes details). To Be honest with you, the quality of the building and the details were very disappointing.
Thank you for your tips on the building. I will keep them on my mind for the next building.
Regarding the dead body, my diorama is on 1944 somewhere in France and I was thinking that a squad of US airborn dropped behind enemy lines and they tried to keep the point inside the church and the tiger blew up the whole building. Does make sense the dead body in the ruin now?
Thank you for your comments & your tips.

1 hour ago, Dimitris Vasilopoulos said:

Hi Badder,

Thank you for your tips.
What do you suggest to use for plants or shrubs asides lichen?
You are right, this building is from MiniArt and it was very difficult to put the to two parts together (a lot of gaps and different finishes details). To Be honest with you, the quality of the building and the details were very disappointing.
Thank you for your tips on the building. I will keep them on my mind for the next building.
Regarding the dead body, my diorama is on 1944 somewhere in France and I was thinking that a squad of US airborn dropped behind enemy lines and they tried to keep the point inside the church and the tiger blew up the whole building. Does make sense the dead body in the ruin now?
Thank you for your comments & your tips.

Hi Dimitris,  
When it comes to plants like trees and bushes a lot of people use stuff called 'Seafoam'. It's a real plant, dried out, and looks much more realistic. Here's some I used as trees and bushes in a hedgerow I made for my diorama 'Ever Evolving Diorama':
MtSZ0Tz.jpg

Here, I've sprayed the Seafoam with dilute PVA, then sprinkled some Basil and Chervil herbs over it.

You can buy Seafoam on line, or from a good model shop. I got mine as a Christmas present; a large box of the stuff. I think it was from a company called 'Scalemaster'.

The only thing I'd say is that while Seafoam does look good, and is easy and quick to use, it is very dry and fragile. So I am looking for alternatives.

Yes, some of the MiniArt buildings are pretty awful. Most require at least a bit of work to make then look right. The contact areas for gluing are tiny. That's why I pad the insides out with cardboard or paper and douse it with CA. The 'seams' then don't really need to be glued, but the gaps can be filled in with putty or plaster then filed, carved and sanded to make the join better.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2