Blu Tac anything but tacky.

lasermonkey

I'm having the Devil's own job trying to get Blu Tac to work. I've tried three new packets (bought from different places) and none of them will stick to anything except for a hot surface. It absolutely will not stick to anything else. Is it just me, or is the stuff rubbish these days?

I really need an alternative quickly, as I'm in the process of masking some feathered edges on a 1/72 F-5E and where I once could rely on Blu Tac to do the job, it now seems that I can't.

Having been somewhat wound up by the stubbornly uncooperative Blu Tac, I ended up getting into a fight with an equally recalcitrant roll of cling film. Let's just say it didn't end well for the cling film!

Cheers,

Mark.

Like Kev said, really kneed it. Squish, stretch and take your anger out on it….

As mentioned ‘White Tac’ is similar, but I’ve found little difference in usage between them. Silly Putty is another alternative.

Mart

@Kev The Modeller believe me, I gave the Blu Tac a good ol' squish before I tried using it and nothing doing! I just got my wife to try it and she thought it seemed very dry and had no stick. I remember a time when the stuff used to work brilliantly, but certainly nothing that I have bought in the last couple of years has been any good.

My mrs found some White Tac knocking around in the home office and that seems to work fine. I think I'll give up on the blue stuff.

Just endured a bit of wormy Blu-Tac unpleasantness (don't we have it tough in the first world?).

cd8df362-434b-43d2-a2b4-ed26b34af2ac.JPG

I found that the Blu-Tac I had kneaded until it was warm and supple, stuck to anything other than the model. I ended up resorting to the un-kneaded stuff, which was much easier to use. Not noticed this before.