The Last Resort - Small But Deadly.

Brengun Yokasuka MXY7 OHKA model 22 1/48

This is about as simple a 1/48 kit as you are likely to find, and could be done relatively easily in a weekend, but it took me ten days (I'm captain slows more cautious cousin). 🐌

I'm in a 'back to basics' mood at the moment, but the kit detail in the cockpit is a little too basic, so a little scratch was required to make it look less stark. There isn't much in the way of reference material for this model, so I won't post a photo in case someone is foolish enough to think I know what I'm doing and follows suit. Although a tiny photo etch sheet is included (if something the size of a small stamp can be called a sheet) there' isn't a seat belt, so mine is from Eduard. Other improvements are brass tube for the pitot and I cut the canopy to enable it to be posed open. It such a basic aircraft, the only other thing that could be added is an American aircraft carrier directly in front of it.

It does make you stop and think what would it have been like to be strapped into what is really a missile? Bravery, brain washed, or peer-presure?

I kept weathering to an absolute minimum, if one of these were to last long enough for it to get weathered, doubts would have been cast over the pilots suitability for the position.

I tried @stevehnz 's 'Future/Pledge' method for applying decals, and it worked very well, so thanks Steve. I'll be playing around with this method on many more builds to come.

fe7f4c44-347d-40c1-b20a-2aa6134f0f1e.JPG

6242e438-f1fa-4e0d-aa16-a7d6a4fe182c.JPG

e3eb5346-9056-4d5d-8d55-fef6b7d72282.JPG

4d16a0a4-81a4-4aa9-894a-3c822cf8c1e7.JPG

43fe52f1-4870-43ee-96db-068a2e781e54.JPG

a3068e84-7e62-4f24-9733-78d183a142b7.JPG

de84098f-e33d-49af-919e-2a566971e295.JPG

I don't normally post WIP pics on RFI posts (although it annoys Ratch apparently, so I might have to start doing it more often :giggle:), but as I didn't do a WIP, I just want to point a couple of things out if you are intending to do this kit.

From looking online, the wings should have quite a pronounced dihedral (from root to tip approx. 5mm) which isn't mentioned in the instructions and the parts aren't moulded to make it obvious. I cut some guides out of card so they would dry in the correct position as the wing-root fit is a bit loose. Be prepared to use plenty of putty.

305bf8aa-4c22-4c2b-9cdb-611e9772dfec.JPG

Also, I would advise you to fit the photo etch in front of the cockpit, AFTER the centre-line decal is applied. The red centre-line decals are hell to get completely straight (I failed). In hindsight I should have painted instead.

Thanks for taking the time too look and comments are, as always welcome.

Gorby

• Like 30

@Gorby Nice job on that somewhat unholy little beast, you've made it look rather good. Thanks to for mentioning  

me in your decal application, I hasten to point out that its not MY method but one I picked up on elsewhere & am happy to share, it works so well.

10 hours ago, Unfinished project said:

Looks great excellent work you have produced here. Imagine the poor pilot “congratulations on earning your pilot wings. Here’s the keys to your plane it’s the grey one at the end. We’ve only half filled the tanks as it’s a one way trip 😮

That could have had a laugh 'cept its so damn sad what was going on back then. I recall as a youngster reading about these in Pierre Clostermann's "Flames in the Sky" & being horrified at the barbarity of them, hence my describing @Gorby's model as an unholy little beast. Otherwise, yes, I did think that rated a :D

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

Really nice. I keep meaning to get one of these. I quite covet the Fine Molds one too. I get the point about weathering. Sometimes you have to ask if it’s necessary or appropriate. I saw a V1 in a magazine once with lovely exhaust stains around the engine. The same magazine had a Natter with a lovely chipped and aged paint scheme too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Corsairfoxfouruncle @Unfinished project @stevehnz @Andy Robbins @celt and to everyone who has 'liked'.

I can well understand the feelings about this aircraft – but it holds a sort of morbid fascination for me. I think a lot of people are intrigued about many of these last ditch weapons like the Natter and the V1/V2. While I was researching and building it I certainly gave a lot of thought to what it must have been like to have been its pilot or its victim.

@stevehnz I gave you credit Steve because I wouldn’t have known about it otherwise, so thanks again.

3 hours ago, Andy Robbins said:

Sometimes you have to ask if it’s necessary or appropriate.

I agree.

I did give it a reasonably heavy panel wash because it looked a bit featureless without it, and I have seen photos of these being stored outside, so it is possible for some grubbyness to have gathered.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to look and comment (or 'Like')

• Like 2

Nice build and an unusual subject.  Puts me in mind of Major Kong in the final scenes of Strangelove!  I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Kamakazes weren't necessarily volunteers bravely sacrificing themselves for the emperor, though.  Seems most were basically press-ganged into it.  I also got the impression they made these kites as a cost-saving measure, rather than crashing perfectly serviceable Zeroes.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Uncle Pete said:

Seems most were basically press-ganged into it.

Yes I've heard that as well. It's amazing what peer-pressure or sense of duty will make a person do.

• Like 1

Very nice build of what is (to me at least) somewhat of a tragic plane.

Mind you, I imagine that expecting to control a beast like this and survive the experience would've been a brave proposition anyway.

Great model of a thought-provoking machine.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1