New Airfix 1/72nd Wellington Mk.Ia, 75 (New Zealand) Sqn, 1940.

Nice one Tony!

Looks every inch the Wimpey and those low angle shots have a very effective perspective to them.

Not my subject area but based on what you have said I may just try one out - looks like an absorbing build alright!

Thanks for letting us see it.

ATB
Rick

• Like 1

Tony,

When it comes to brush-painting, you haven't so much raised the bar as you ARE the bar! Another outstanding build and finish; I always look forward to seeing your latest projects- they never disappoint! Guess I will have to get one, but as crazy as I am, I like the Mk II better....might think about  using my resin Mk II conversion set or the bits out of my Revell/MPM Mk II on the new Airfix kit. Of course, as soon as I do that, Airfix will release one! (Think we will see a new-tool Hampden from Airfix in our lifetime?)

Mike

The Hampden, Wellington, and Whitley were sort of the V bombers of their era.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Tony,

When it comes to brush-painting, you haven't so much raised the bar as you ARE the bar! Another outstanding build and finish; I always look forward to seeing your latest projects- they never disappoint! Guess I will have to get one, but as crazy as I am, I like the Mk II better....might think about  using my resin Mk II conversion set or the bits out of my Revell/MPM Mk II on the new Airfix kit. Of course, as soon as I do that, Airfix will release one! (Think we will see a new-tool Hampden from Airfix in our lifetime?)

Mike

Thanks Mike,..... yes I like the Mk.II myself but I have a feeling that Airfix might stick a few Merlin engines in the kit at some time,..... although it might be a year or two? Not sure how similar the Merlin cowlings for the Whitley were either? I did it with the old MPM Wimpey and as soon as I`d finished converting the original Mk.Ic kit into a Mk.II they announced a Mk.II!  

I agree about the Hampden,.... maybe some time,.... along with a Battle,...... but even if they are on our wavelength it might take years? I`d love them to do a Halifax too as the Revell Merlin engined variant is fatally flawed while the Hercules engined variant has plenty of problems too. 

All the best mate

Tony

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Mike,..... yes I like the Mk.II myself but I have a feeling that Airfix might stick a few Merlin engines in the kit at some time,..... although it might be a year or two? Not sure how similar the Merlin cowlings for the Whitley were either? I did it with the old MPM Wimpey and as soon as I`d finished converting the original Mk.Ic kit into a Mk.II they announced a Mk.II!  

I agree about the Hampden,.... maybe some time,.... along with a Battle,...... but even if they are on our wavelength it might take years? I`d love them to do a Halifax too as the Revell Merlin engined variant is fatally flawed while the Hercules engined variant has plenty of problems too. 

All the best mate

Tony

I hear you, my friend! If they engineered a new Halifax right, they could get the Hercules and Merlin-powered variants, along with my favorite, the GR's with the four blade Rotol props! Guess I can hold off for a bit to see if we get a Mk II.

Mike

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I hear you, my friend! If they engineered a new Halifax right, they could get the Hercules and Merlin-powered variants, along with my favorite, the GR's with the four blade Rotol props! Guess I can hold off for a bit to see if we get a Mk II.

Mike

If they do, it'll blow the doors off the Revell kit! I hope they do before my eyesight get much worse.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Really nice build. This is another must have for me. A family friend was a radio operator in them with 37 squadron in the desert. Plus he flew some early raids from England. I have been hoping a early one.

• Like 1

Superb Wellington!  Can't say much more than that.

DK Decals are a great product too IMHO, so I trust they did not give you too much trouble.

The result certainly speaks for itself.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

On 24/07/2018 at 05:18, 72modeler said:

Tony,

Mike

You might like the look of the Mk II, but you wouldn't want to fly one. My family friend told me he flew in one from England to Cairo in 1941. They got rid of it as soon as they landed. The reason was the engines let out a trail Sparks. Not something you want going on when there are night fighters around.

Edited by Sea
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

How about reverse lend-lease?

Mike

I suppose I could always make a WHIF scheme, but if I am gonna spend the time to build such a large plane I feel I ought to finish it properly.

Lovely job Tony, especially with the hairy stick. I'm sure more variants will be along in time, meanwhile, we have more enough to be going on with here. I'd also like to see Airfix produce a new Hampden and Battle, (though to be fair the Valom one with AZ clear parts is very acceptable). Now if they could just wheel out a Virginia, Sidestrand, Hendon or all-new Heyford we'd be even happier little BC builders!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Lovely job Tony, especially with the hairy stick. I'm sure more variants will be along in time, meanwhile, we have more enough to be going on with here. I'd also like to see Airfix produce a new Hampden and Battle, (though to be fair the Valom one with AZ clear parts is very acceptable). Now if they could just wheel out a Virginia, Sidestrand, Hendon or all-new Heyford we'd be even happier little BC builders!

In your dreams, General! 😉 BTW, was that your 1/48 Airfix Blenheim Mk 1F I saw in another modeling magazine? Awesome job, as per usual!

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, well you can dream, actually I've got the first three as vacs, (one finished, one half-done and one still in its box) but there are only so many days in a year!

BTW, was that your 1/48 Airfix Blenheim Mk 1F I saw in another modeling magazine?

No, I'm busy with another upcoming Airfix release at the mo and couldn't squeeze the big Blenny in, unfortunately. I believe it's a cracking model.

Out of interest which magazine was that? as far as I know, AMW has first dibs on the test shot, but maybe not. :shrug:

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Out of interest which magazine was that?

Well, actually it wasn't in a magazine- it was featured in the latest edition of the Airfix Workbench....sure looked like your work to me! (Apologies for the brain fade- the old Mk 1a cerebellum ain't what it used to be, Andy!) 🤔

Mike

• Like 1