Bf110 crashes, Suffolk?

plasticmasher

So, before I have to trawl (and pay for!) the whole of the excellent Luftwaffe Crash Diaries volumes (I have 3 so far..), can anyone recall reading of any Bf110's brought down over Suffolk?....I know of the Martlesham Heath raid by Erp.Gp210, and that the same unit lost aircraft later that day near the south coast...But quite a tenuous link for my local sites theme....

All info gladly received, I understand these types would be seldom this far north over land of course.....

Cheers

Ed

I've always had a soft spot for the Bf 110s in the BoB, despite it's overall shortcomings as a heavy fighter where the Bf 109 was hampered by fuel limitations. I suspect from what records I have (Bombsights over England/Zerstoerer/Luftwaffe Crash Archives) there weren't any Bf 110 casualties that came down on land in Suffolk. A few further north on land and in the sea on 15/8/40, various in different parts of Essex and off the coast, but the bulk of the Bf 110 casualties in the BoB were either in the Portsmouth/west sector where their range made it logical, or a scattering over Kent/Surrey and Sussex. The general material shortages of the German war effort, and specifically the Luftwaffe, seems to have meant that OKL was obliged to use the heavy fighter in circumstances where they were effectively compensating for the progessively limited availability of Bf 109s against the RAF's modern, nimble fighters. Were this not the case, the Bf 110 would probably have been better employed generally as a fighter-bomber in the style of Erpro 210. Many of the Bf 110s operating between the Thames and the Wash, ended up somewhere in the N Sea or the Thames Estuary so details are a bit sketchy. You may find more on the RAf Commands forum (I haven't looked) but I suspect Vasco/Cornwell/Red Kite have most of the info. Not particularly helpful I guess but that's what seems to be tha case for me. Paul

Paul, thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail.

I suspected that the case may be as you stated - I've been reading up on Luftwaffe losses in my local area for months now, triggered by an account of an Fw190 tip and run raider that came to grief around Ipswich docks, a propeller blade dredged from the dock was exhibited a few years ago.

I've since found Ju188E-1, He177A-3, Me410A-1, Ju88A-4, the famous errant Ju88G-1 night fighter landed at RAF Woodbridge, a choice of 2 Do17Z with interesting 'back stories', plus a defecting Bf109G-12 up near Lowestoft which just squeezes in.....So add in a Regia Aeronautica Fiat CR42 on Orfordness, and BR.20 bomber near Bromeswell shot down complete with Chianti and cheese , then it seems Suffolk will keep me busy for a few years at my build rate!

Maybe the Eduard 1/48  Bf110 will get built in the box markings, as this aircraft -may-  have raided Martlesham Heath the day it was brought down......Any excuse to build this beautiful kit!

I just need more time, and more space!

Edited by plasticmasher

Ed - my geography of your neck of the woods is a bit sketchy I have to admit. Which of the Eduard 110s is the kit you have - 110 C/110 C-6/110 D? From what I can deduce from the experts on this, it was probably only the Ds and the C-6s that raided Martlesham Heath on the morning of 15/8/40. The Eduard D kit has the markings for one of the Erpro 210 a/c that was shot down in the evening raid on Kenley/Croydon, whilst I think the limited edition C-6 kit has the markings for Beudel's a/c. I guess either or both would have taken part in the Martleham Heath raid but both returned to  suffer during the evening sortie. Lots of luck. I'm patiently waiting to start my D kit, probably as S9+CB which force landed not that far from Eastbourne, near where I live. Other projects keep getting in the way, Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

S9+CB is my likely contender as it so well photographed/documented. 

DaggerPhil: thanks, I've a CR42 on the go at home, the Orfordness machine as there's great photos of the upper wing camo pattern....When my airbrush skills allow me to be satisfied with the result!

Cheers

Ed

Whilst on the subject of 110's , does anyone know of the whereabouts and condition of the "Jim Pearce " aircraft that he salvaged from Russia?  Last I knew of it was that it went to New Zealand, home of twin engined gems.

Keith,.