12 months to go - it will pass quicker than you think!

bootneck

12 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Apollo 12 was a very successful mission except for one significant aspect. When setting up the TV camera to cover their moonwalk, Al Bean inadvertently pointed the camera directly at the sun - and burned out the tube. As a result, most of the Apollo 12 moonwalk had no TV coverage. Many people claim that the sudden drop off in public interest in the moon landings was partly caused by this - although I'm not altogether sure about that. But it certainly didn't help.

well you learn something every day - thanks Eric

4 hours ago, Leo Melo said:

I mean a lot of people don't believe in moon landing Gordon.

With you now. Unfortunately no matter how much proof you offer, some people just won't be convinced.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, andymoore said:

well you learn something every day - thanks Eric

You can see the actual moment Bean wrecked the camera on You Tube. All was going well with the TV until he unbolted the camera from the bracket that it was mounted on to show the astronauts coming down the Lunar Module ladder. His job was to move the camera a hundred feet or so from the Lunar Module and set it up on a tripod to show the rest of the moonwalk. As he moved the camera into position, he pointed it straight at the sun - and destroyed it.

It was  a colour TV camera (unlike on Apollo 11 which only had a black and white TV camera for use on the lunar surface) and possibly the tube was less robust than on the black and white camera. We had to wait until Apollo 14 before we got to see how well this new camera worked on the moon.

On Apollos 15,16 and 17, the camera was attached to the front of the Lunar Rover and could be panned , tilted and zoomed in and out by remote control from a console at Mission Control.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

You can see the actual moment Bean wrecked the camera on You Tube. All was going well with the TV until he unbolted the camera from the bracket that it was mounted on to show the astronauts coming down the Lunar Module ladder. His job was to move the camera a hundred feet or so from the Lunar Module and set it up on a tripod to show the rest of the moonwalk. As he moved the camera into position, he pointed it straight at the sun - and destroyed it.

It was  a colour TV camera (unlike on Apollo 11 which only had a black and white TV camera for use on the lunar surface) and possibly the tube was less robust than on the black and white camera. We had to wait until Apollo 14 before we got to see how well this new camera worked on the moon.

On Apollos 15,16 and 17, the camera was attached to the front of the Lunar Rover and could be panned , tilted and zoomed in and out by remote control from a console at Mission Control.

One of the points made by the hoax-believers is "Who was filming Armstrong coming down the ladder?" Answer - the camera was mounted on the LM Descent Stage and as he came down the ladder Armstrong pulled a lever which lowered the panel covering it.

The LRV camera was, as you said, operated from Mission Control. Bear in mind that there was a 1.2 second delay between any input made and the camera responding, so it took a great deal of skill to get it right! If you watch the launch of the Apollo 17 ascent stage, the operator did a fantastic job in timing the upwards pan to keep it in shot as he was anticipating its movement, not following it.

BTW the reason we never saw a similar move on Apollo 15 was that the camera had been giving problems with the upwards pan and occasionally the astronauts had to push it back down by hand. Obviously this wasn't an option after they had taken off, so it was decided not to risk it as the camera could still be used to a limited extent until the batteries ran down. I think they tried it on Apollo 16 but didn't get it quite right.

On 10/10/2018 at 18:20, GordonD said:

With you now. Unfortunately no matter how much proof you offer, some people just won't be convinced.

Gordon, a brazilian writer said once:

"Ignore is the only possible answer to ignorance."

Millôr Fernades(1923-2012)

I wouldn't agree with that - unless the ignorance on display is "willful ignorance".

People can be ignorant simply because of lack of education. The obvious answer to that is to educate them. The problem is when some people don't want to be educated.

I think it is time to bring my original thread back on track, that is to start preparing for any Apollo related builds you might wish to start.  Some kits will be fairly easy and not very time-consuming, however others, such as dioramas etc., might just need to start planning soon.  Hopefully we shall see some very good Space/NASA/Apollo/Saturn builds for 2019.

Mike

It would be great if the NASA SIG had a special 50th anniversary display at Telford in 2019. I'm a member of the NASA SIG although it has all gone very quiet on that front at the moment. I've not heard anything about Telford 2018 so far.

I certainly plan to build at least one 1/72 Lunar Module for the anniversary. I built one in 1979 for the 10th - a model that I still have amazingly, having survived numerous house moves and even a change of country.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...