***Finished*** A Swedish Vampire

PhantomBigStu

here we go, may also join in with a eurofighter now I've read the rules a seen it could be eligible, if I can get the pavla vacurform canopy to fit the newer tool, either with an austrian, or I a post in the wanted proves succesful a saudi one  

28642098327_e461324125_b.jpg

• Like 2

Nice choice and a quick start too! Welcome to the GB.

One area which was a problem on the original releases of this kit was some shrinkage on the wings in the area of the flaps, has that been addressed in this release?

On 7/22/2018 at 7:49 AM, Wez said:

Nice choice and a quick start too! Welcome to the GB.

One area which was a problem on the original releases of this kit was some shrinkage on the wings in the area of the flaps, has that been addressed in this release?

No shrinkage to be seen , anyway a coat of grey is on and it’s being sanded, in a stance situation where I’ve ended up every build on the bench at the sanding stage, haven’t stopped this evening 

41789588820_df304366f0_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

Glad to have you here in this GB !

I see that you're already well underway with your build, should be ready soon

And yes, a Typhoon in Austrian or Saudi markings would be eligible, guess we'll soon see another entry 🙂

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

whilst some images of the j28 show a more bronze green that does look like a weathered airframe, where as one image of a clearly unweathered single seater looks just like the green I’ve picked also look what’s arrived, can’t be built, the previous owner has taken it above 25% 

28762466767_23c0e2118c_b.jpg43603543642_93f02bc3b4_b.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good ! Can't comment on the green but if this fits with even just one single picture you have, then why worry 😁

Hope you'll build the Venom at some point too, even if it's too far beyond the 25% for this GB, you could still build it in the future in RAN markings 😎

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Looking good ! Can't comment on the green but if this fits with even just one single picture you have, then why worry 😁

Hope you'll build the Venom at some point too, even if it's too far beyond the 25% for this GB, you could still build it in the future in RAN markings 😎

yep, though Ive sicne found the pictures of the real airframe, and whilst its close the slightly more olive photos are the reality, always next time. Had issues getting the canopy back on and didn't do much modelling yesterday, but hopefully should be ready for decals tonight.  As for the venom, could be less than 25% not sure where the line would be, the fuselage halves are together and one wing is one, but thats all. 

I what seems like an inevitability recently , the canopy broke, I had a spare, but being a kind sole I exchanged it with a fellow member on i need so I had to turn my RNZAF camp into a convertible, hopefully I can track down a cheap kit or another spare soon so that can go back on display with this when done 

43766264241_f3bda09872_b.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of the problems you've had with the model !

Regarding the orange sections, I'd suggest repainting them completely, even with just a light coat, this will blend the Humbrol paint with the original decal colour.

P.S. and yes, Techmod decals are a true pain to apply !

Yep that seems a good fix will do that. Any glad I’ve found out techmod decals are iffy now, I’ve got a polish f-16 planned which will be nothing but techmod decals, maybe like Eduard decals a protective coat of varnish can help reduce their tendency to fold...,anyway not yet sourced the decals for a Saudi typhoon nor have I dared attempt the remove the vacuform canopy from the excess plastic, perhaps I may now enter an eduard spitfire ix in that very striking French scheme from the airfix kit

• Like 1

If the decals you have fold too easily, then they are likely the "much too thin" Techmod ones. My advice with these is to leave plenty of water on the model when applying them, move them in position VERY carefully and when they are in place absorb the water using a tissue. Again carefully

I have also read that using saliva makes them easier to apply.. now I've thought of spitting on a model so I never tried, just reporting what I've heard.

If you have large decals that go over big parts, then I always suggest to cut them in sections before immersing in water and apply these individually, will make things much simpler

It’s not so much that they fold themselves up (unlike printscale ones) it’s that they fold as you try to move them into place as the backing film is so thin. Next time as I said I’ll pre varnish them, works with eduard decals which have the same problem. Anyway can’t say the vampire is done, decided the canopy wasn’t clear enough so fixing that. Should be done later though the spit v was done last night. Should also start the spit 9 later.

• 2 weeks later...