Squadron Leader Geoffrey Wellum RIP

GordonD

Saddened to read this in the news this morning, his book First Light is a favourite of mine and I've read it over many times and will do so again. He was an inspiration and a true hero, nothing more to be said, RIP sir.😥

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

His book is a brilliantly understated commentary on the thoughts of such a young man and I have read & re-read so many times. I never met him, but I have always felt him to be a true Gentleman.

Blue skies, sir

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had the privilege of meeting Geoffrey Wellum a number of years ago at Duxford, and he graciously signed my copy of "First Light" (I've since bought a "reading copy" so I don't mess with the signed volume).  He was an absolute gentleman.  For my money, "First Light" is among the very best of memoirs, vividly capturing what it felt like to be a young fighter pilot in 1940.  

Bless you, Geoffrey, for your life, your service and the talents you shared.  Fair winds and happy landings on your final sortie!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I agree with all comments so far.  The book is an amazing account of the battle and reveals the true quality of the man himself, that and The Last Enemy by Richard Hillary are the best of the autobiographies of the BoB.

• Like 3