Spitfire Pr XIX #1/48 #Airfix

Ham Hands

While finishing up a few builds, I have been asked to build a spitfire for a birthday gift. I am taking the opportunity to build the 1/48 Airfix kit. There is some PE and AM decals and wheels. Aside from that it will be OOB. This should not take long due to my prioritizing it with the birthday coming up.

4joSOw.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome to the GB !

Love the idea of a kit built in the GB for a B'day, maybe we should all sign the card ! 😁

Looking forward to your build, I'm a big Spitfire fan and I'l always happy to see models of Supermarine's finest

• Like 1

Thank you.  :)

It turns out I only have 3 weeks. A friend wants it for his 12 year old son's birthday. So I am going to use the PE for the dash board and harness. There's no time to do the whole cockpit. 

This all began because of a diorama project for school. Father and son built an earthquake scene and the kid loved it. Chris, the boy, discovered spitfires through playing War thunder and Cliffs of Dover.

My friend hates war and violence,  so the Swedish recon' spitfire is perfect. No guns! :)

The kit is nice but the undercarriage is pretty weak. Mine was broken on the sprue. I had to cement it together before removal. This is also my first Airfix kit in over 30 years. Very nice it is a spitfire. I cannot remember how many 1/72 Airfix spitfires I must have built as a child. :)

I have a Swedish draken and gripen ready for completion. (I am building lots of Swedish subjects ATM) They can wait a few weeks. I am kind of excited a teenager is interested at all in spitfires. Or history, for that matter. :)

I am also pleased my friend thought a built model may be a nice present. I may also pass on an un-built kit with some glue and paint. 

It is nice to be in a group build as well. Thanks for having me. :)

• Like 2

The lack of guns in a Spit XIX also means that this variant maybe features the most elegant lines of all Spit variations... personal view of course, others may prefer other marks but really, I struggle to think of someone not finding a blue XIX beautiful !

Like your plan of trying to tempt your friend's son into the hobby !  If he's already discovered the Spitfire, he may well love to be able to build his own scale representation

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2018 at 8:34 PM, Ham Hands said:

Please go ahead. All my modeling has come to a halt following a family member being involved in an accident and sustaining severe injuries.

I gave the boy a model to be built.

Back asap. :)

Sorry to hear of this, hope your family member will recover soon !

• Like 1

Thank you. My father broke his back. 89 years old is too old for this injury.

I have been buying models for future work I hope I can do. ATM it is 24/7 care. I just received the new Tamiya 1/48 F-14D. Wonderful looking model. I hope I get to build it.

My draken is so close....

Thanks again. :)

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you. Things are moving and I nearly have my dad in a good care facility. No modelling going on with no less than 6 models very near completion, including a 1/48 Draken (there's a WIP thread on that I wish to complete) I was enjoying so much...

I hope I have not ruined this GB forum. The spit is ready to be put together. It's a lovely little kit.

See you soon. :)