Aircraft Modelling magazines

spfparker

Someday, I'm gonna take all the old magazines that I have acquired over the decades, load them into the back of my pickup and drive them south. I'm going to donate them to the Alberta Aviation Museum, in Edmonton. They sort them and resell them at a good price. I always peruse the gift shop whenever I visit the museum ( at least once yearly ) and I've bought old mags that have something that interests me.

Chris

17 hours ago, bootneck said:

Apologies for this slight topic shift; however I have a large collection of SAMs but I can never find the article or plan I want. Does anyone know of a source for indexes to magazines such as these?

Mike

I can't think of an easy solution other than trying to google SAMI and the article or subject your after. 

On on the more complex way of doing things you could spend some time going through your collection and creating your own select index. Or just scanning the articles that appeal to you the most.

I did that with my warplane mags that Orbis published in the 80's. 

8 hours ago, Morlock said:

I can't think of an easy solution other than trying to google SAMI and the article or subject your after. 

On on the more complex way of doing things you could spend some time going through your collection and creating your own select index. Or just scanning the articles that appeal to you the most.

I did that with my warplane mags that Orbis published in the 80's. 

And........There is a chap who has created an index for Airfix Moodel Worlds - ha can be contacted through the forums on the Airfix website.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:17 AM, bootneck said:

Apologies for this slight topic shift; however I have a large collection of SAMs but I can never find the article or plan I want. Does anyone know of a source for indexes to magazines such as these?

Mike

Over the years, every so often, I go through my mags and write down what's of interest to me, that I might want that info again. So far, there's separate lists for FSM, SAM, SAMI, Model Aircraft Monthly and a couple others All a bit stone-age, but it works for me.

Chris

On 7/26/2018 at 4:29 PM, PhoenixII said:

Afternoon Mike,

was under the impression that there was an index printed in at least some of the early volumes? either issue 12 or issue 1 of the next volume.

Would suggest you contact the magazine direct, and ask the question. If they have any, do be prepared to pay folding stuff!

Don't think they take washers and brass buttons these days..........:whistle:

That was my memory of early SAMs too.

• Thanks 1

Back on track ...... (!)

After collecting both SAM and SAMI since day one, I have just given up both. A sad day but I got so fed up with errors,ridiculously small text and photos, that I now take Airfix Model World instead.

I must say that i am impressed with the editorial view of maintaining excellent standards of English, proper photos to a very high standard and also well made models. It is also interesting reading about other genders of modelling such as tanks and ships, to try to pick up on new techniques to me.

Well done to them for producing a worthy product.

I wonder if magazine editors read these columns?

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 3