As I said in the GB thread, my original plan was to make a figure, I wanted to make a model of my Great Grandfather who succumbed to wounds at Gallipoli in 1915.  He was serving in the Hampshire Regiment which were part of the Irish Division.  Sadly I lack the skill for such a model which I would really want to do justice so it will have to wait for when I have more time!

Being a sucker for punishment, I've dug a biplane out of the stash, I bought the 1/48th Eduard Hanriot HD-1 in Italian markings many years ago when I had a fit of enthusiasm for WW.I subjects, I was drawn by the very colourful markings which to my mind are synonymous with WW.I.  It includes some resin, PE and masks.

The Western Front rightly gets a lot of attention but this was the first world war and I thought I'd commemorate the fighting which went on in an oft forgotten front but in addition to the main protagonists, Italy and Austria-Hungary, it also dragged in combatants from other nations such as the GB, Germany and the USA.

Enough of my waffle, here's the kit and the few references I have on the type (though to be fair, the Windsock datafile and the kit seem very comprehensive).

HD-1 Kit etc

I haven't decided on which of the kit markings I'll be doing yet, the one on the box top is quite attractive but there are also a couple of very nice silver-doped schemes I like too, choices, choices!

• Like 7

Thanks for the encouragement guys, hope I can finish it and do it justice (I do have a poor record with GBs and find myself in four during my non-study period).

On 7/19/2018 at 8:41 PM, Wez said:

I wanted to make a model of my Great Grandfather who succumbed to wounds at Gallipoli in 1915

My Grandfather was there as well.

The Hanriot is a very nice looking aircraft, very colourfull whatever the owner.

On 23/07/2018 at 12:08, Antoine said:

My Grandfather was there as well.

The Hanriot is a very nice looking aircraft, very colourfull whatever the owner.

The public view of Gallipoli is that it was an ANZAC op, whilst the ANZAC contribution should not be underrated, the British and French lost so many there.

Even on a family level, I just don't know to which unit my Grandfather belong, only that he was part of a transmission outfit, so obviously not straight on the frontline. He survived the war, only to die a few years later from disease or by accident (even this is unclear). My father was to young to remember much more anyway. 

What was your great Grandfather's unit?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m afraid I’m going to have to withdraw from this GB (I’m withdrawing from all GB’s), we found some water on the floor of the basement which is where I do my modelling. 

We need to find where this water is coming from and put it right before autumn comes which means emptying the contents of the basement and potentially taking up the flooring.

Any modelling is now on hold until this is sorted, I’m gutted because I only get to do any modelling between June and the end of September.

If we get this sorted in good time I may re-join later.

• Sad 2

Hope you can solve your water issues and get back to modelling Wez.  Sorry not to to see the Hanriot get built but some things are sadly more important.

AW