Rafale M help

tk1608

Hi all

I’ve just purchased the 1:48 hobby boss Rafale M and the syhart tiger meet decals.

I’m a bit confused as to the colour paint to use on the aircraft as the syhart code letters are very dark.

On pics I’ve seen of rafales they are  a fairly light grey with almost white code numbers.

If I paint it so that the syhart code numbers are lighter than the aircraft, I’ll end up using something like Tamiya German grey.. I’m thinking that the syhart decals have been printed far too dark, and I’ll need to use the kit code numbers..

This also means that most of the stencil markings on the sheet won’t work out either as they are also very dark..

Has anyone else had this issue. ?

thanks a lot

Phil 

Edited by tk1608

There was an earlier thread on this subject but typically I can't find it now after a quick look.

I seem to remember the author saying that the white markings were made grey by simply lightly overpainting them with the main colour.

Perhaps that thread may help so I'll leave you to find it!

Thanks guys.

I really like your rafale Dave, it looks spot on. The marine markings and codes are a nice light shade which looks just like a couple of marine rafales I saw at fairford the other week, they had very light coloured codes.

The problem I have is that the syhart decal codes are printed about as dark a grey as the large cruise missiles you have hung on your model.

Ive tried to contact syhart through Facebook to get his opinion, but no response as yet..Pretty annoying as the sheet was nearly £12 :(

Edited by tk1608

If you have a look at the pics you’ll see what I mean..

the white “marine” markings are for the drop tanks, the rest in grey I think are too dark..

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2018/07/25/76669D3B-A771-40CC-8044-77634321CC82.jpg
https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2018/07/25/46192D0D-2AEC-4EDA-8584-E06EE5D12BEF.jpg
https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2018/07/25/14FA0662-839E-43C7-B5B7-4219BB9A9E8E.jpg

Edited by tk1608

Hi Phil,

I don't have the Syhart instructions to hand for the set I have, but I seem to recall he recommends XF-54 Dark Sea Grey as a good match for the Rafale M's base camouflage colour. Actually, just checked the website (http://www.syhartdecal.fr/references.php?lang=ENG&page=galerie&ref=Syhart 915&numero_ref=915&nom_fichier=plan02&extension=jpg), and it does say Dark Gull Grey, and XF-54.

He's away on holidays until the 10th of September.

HTH.

Hi John

Thanks for letting me know he’s on hols.

I’d like to have a more faded jet, like the ones I saw..maybe that won’t be possible with these decals.

I hope this isn’t coming across as really picky, or a complaint about the decals, it’s just an observation..

Hopefully when they come off the backing they’ll appear a bit lighter :)

Anyone know a good free image hosting site, that’s as easy to use as photobucket was ? I can’t figure out how to post pictures. I’d rather post pics than just the links to them..

Cheers guys

Phil

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

No problem.

If you wanted to fade the markings, you could overspray with a highly-diluted, lightened version of the base colour, or you could use a translucent white oil paint as a filter. Winsor & Newton do a good one.

Regarding posting photos, there are lots of options, but the most popular "free" one (I believe) is Flickr. Here's a guide to posting photos on Britmodeller, and here's a guide to using Flickr. If you wanted a paid hosting site, SmugMug gets good reviews.