3-tone green F-4Ds

lasermonkey

Thanks for posting those photos, chaps. I had been wondering if that paint had been used in other types and now I know! The 10th TFW machine pic is new to me, and I've looked at a whole load of them! Definitely one for the "to do" list.

Cheers,

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

According to iModelKit Humbrol 36 (Pastel Green) is pretty closely matched by Gunze H74 (although 36 is a slightly brighter green - more ‘mint’) whilst Tamiya XF14 is also near. Closest match seems to be FS 34666. Disclaimer unlike some experts on here who can give exact variance I’m just going by my eye!

• 2 years later...

I lived on R.A.F. Woodbridge from '74 to '77 and saw many of the 81st T.F.W.'s wearing the all green upper surface paint. Always an avid modeler, I took note of the unusual third green and witnessed  this color morph over time in shade. At first almost more tan than green, as the paint aged the pea green aspect of this paint would increase into sometimes an almost florescent hue. I thought it was great. 

I once documented which phantoms in the wing were painted in this odd color, and I believe at one point it was as many as 1 in every 7 aircraft, around 4 in each squadron. That seems kind of hi now, I'll have to recheck those numbers. I do remember the 81st and the Liberty Wing up at Lakenheath had more examples of this paint than any other wings.

I bought the magazine discussed at the time, too. It was an issue of AirExtra and I still have it. I'll dig it out.

I'm glad I found this great web site, I'll be sure to keep in touch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1