Finished: Fouga Magister 1/72

Hey everyone, 

Now that I finished in the Carriers Ahoy build - and actually completed two models - I'd like to throw my hat in here with the old Airfix Fouga Magister in 1/72. Mine is the current or recent boxing but i checked online and this kit came out in the 1970s (75 I think). 

I'm going to do the Belgian one. 

IMG_20180719_181814_resized_20180719_074

Looking forward to participating!

• Like 6

Well done, and welcome bianfuxia! If I'm not mistaken, I think that this kit will fill in the 'gap' we have in the Build List for kits from 1976 - still to check again on the Airfix Tribute Forum. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Last night I made a bit more progress. The beauty of these little kits is they go together so fast - I guess you lose that saved time later with sanding. That said this one fit together quite well. I didn't make a huge effort on the cockpit; it will have pilots and there were no decals for the control panel. 

IMG_20180719_210429_resized_20180720_120

IMG_20180719_210456_resized_20180720_120

IMG_20180720_093356_resized_20180720_120

IMG_20180720_093326_resized_20180720_120

IMG_20180720_093257_resized_20180720_120

• Like 10

What an excellent choice.  I love the look of the Magister and it offers so many colourful marking options.  It's not often that we see a Belgian aircraft in a Group Build :thumbsup2:.

• Like 2

Wow - I am astounded by the cockpit detail. Did that come with the kit? - maybe its the quality of your painting that has brought it out - excellent.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Wow - I am astounded by the cockpit detail. Did that come with the kit? - maybe its the quality of your painting that has brought it out - excellent.

Yes, that's the kit parts. I just roughly drybrushed some black over the controls. If you zoom as I just did you'll see it could use another, neater try! But yes it's straight from the box.

I have another airfix kit of that era, the Panavia MRCA (Tornado prototype) and it also had surprisingly nice cockpit detail. Maybe Airfix was doing a bit better then than in later years. 

• Like 3

Well, this is actually a really nice kit for something from 1975. It needed a bit of putty but really not more than many contemporary kits. The main rough sanding is done now. Fine stuff still to go but then it's time to paint the plane already.

IMG_20180723_220637_resized_20180723_102

IMG_20180723_220626_resized_20180723_102

• Like 8

Nice! 👍

On a side note - the vallejo - I'm guessing it's not the "air" type?  I have a bottle of interior green of the air sort but I usually just brush paint it.  Is it worth buying it in the non air variety?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Nice! 👍

On a side note - the vallejo - I'm guessing it's not the "air" type?  I have a bottle of interior green of the air sort but I usually just brush paint it.  Is it worth buying it in the non air variety?

I have only used the non air variety because I only brush paint. I can only really compare it to Tamiya acrylic but I will say I much prefer it over the Tamiya. 

The only slight downside is it dries quite quickly. This is good in many ways except when it tends to dry on the brush making the brush stiff. Dipping the brush in water regualrly (then drying it off on a tissue) seems to solve the problem.

But yes I really like Vallejo paint.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

The only slight downside is it dries quite quickly. This is good in many ways except when it tends to dry on the brush making the brush stiff. Dipping the brush in water regualrly (then drying it off on a tissue) seems to solve the problem.

They make a drying retarder (597 is the paint number, slot number 196 on the full range paint rack) that should help with that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

They make a drying retarder (597 is the paint number, slot number 196 on the full range paint rack) that should help with that.

Is that specifically for the non air paints?  50% of the time when I try to use the "air" through the airbrush it goes a bit wrong.....

3 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Is that specifically for the non air paints?  50% of the time when I try to use the "air" through the airbrush it goes a bit wrong.....

It's listed in the Model Color range, so I don't know if it's compatible with the Model Air paints. They do a Flow Improver in the Model Air range which might be more suitable.

• Like 2

I tend to stick with Humbrol enamel! Only when the temperature goes over 40 Celsius, does it tend to dry a bit faster.

The Airfix Fouga came out pretty much at the same time than the Heller one. I do remember acrimonious controversy as to which offering was the best. I still do not know!

I flew in this marvelous plane, but never built a kit of it. Shame on me.

This one is going to be good!

Keep having fun.

JR

• Like 1

Thanks for tip about the retarder. I'll give it a go.

Yes that green is only one coat, but I usually go over it more than once so it's probably technically two. That works as long as you're careful. 

I can't get Humbrol paints in China. But anyway, I much prefer acrylics to enamels, especially now I have a three year old and a smell-sensitive wife. She can smell paint from the other end of the house!

• Haha 1

IMG_20180729_235210_resized_20180729_115

Well, it turns out I don't have tan or that lighter green in either Vallejo or Tamiya so I raided the old jars of Mr Color. I used to use that before I grew tired of messing around with thinner and the smell. I did that tonight and got it this far along. I'll need some more tidying up of course but at least it's moving along.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Thanks for tip about the retarder. I'll give it a go.

Yes that green is only one coat, but I usually go over it more than once so it's probably technically two. That works as long as you're careful. 

I can't get Humbrol paints in China. But anyway, I much prefer acrylics to enamels, especially now I have a three year old and a smell-sensitive wife. She can smell paint from the other end of the house!

Buy a larger house!

Have fun!

JR

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

I could do that, but then I'd have to curtail my kit buying obsession...

Then downsize and buy more kits!

JR

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Well, back from summer vacay and subsequent business trip, and now my wife is away on her business trip leaving me Solo Daddy with the 3.5 year old. Very tired in other words.

But....i did decide to step up and put some more paint onto my Magister tonight, to try to honour this GB which is really awesome. So many classic models in the gallery already, amazing. It is like flipping through the pages of the airfix catalogue again as I did as a boy.

Anyway, not actually a ton of progress to show, but tonight I went over both green shades again. Now just to identify the brown I used before and give it another coat, then a few touchups, add wheels and canopy and it's decal time. 

IMG_20180906_224144_resized_20180906_104

IMG_20180906_224130_resized_20180906_104

IMG_20180906_224140_resized_20180906_104

IMG_20180906_224117_resized_20180906_104

I had previously sprayed the bottom with Tamiya gloss aluminium (weeks ago).

• Like 5