Revell/Zvezda 1/2700 ISD lighting kits?

So, somehow, despite me already having a 1/48 EE Lightning to build, a 1/2700 Revell Imperial Star Destroyer is en-route...🙄

I've looked at a few of the build threads on here, and I really want to light it up. 

A lot of googling has thrown up a good few kits, but as I'm a very recent returner to the hobby I'm at a loss as to what's good and what's dreadful... 

Ive seen kits on Etsy (mostly from Russian sellers) ranging from £25 to £50, with no apparent difference between them, and stuff from online model stores that seem to range from £50 to £100+.

Naturally I'd like to spend as little as possible, so does anyone have experience of the Etsy sellers?

I'm not planning on hyper detailing this kit, but will be adding a Tantive and Falcon,  is Shapeways the best place for these sort of add ons?

I had a look at that tena set, and I'm not sure I actually want the flashing effect of the engines I was more thinking of using the model as accent lighting. I couldn't see on the link if there was a static lighting mode?

Rob998, if you just want some basic static lighting for the windows then consider using LED strips and drilling out the holes in the side walls.  You can add short lengths of fibre optic to the holes to help the light.

i will be doing a kit in the near future but will have flickering engines and will be in the £75-£100 bracket.

if you want any help at all just ask.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rob998 said:

I had a look at that tena set, and I'm not sure I actually want the flashing effect of the engines I was more thinking of using the model as accent lighting. I couldn't see on the link if there was a static lighting mode?

You'd probably have to ask Tena to be sure; they are pretty responsive. But I would imagine it is hard wired into the board in this case. Could be wrong, though. I can see why some people would like the effect, and others wouldn't. I've disagreed with some of their other design choices, like on some Star Trek lighting they sell, but their stuff is quality if it meets your needs. 

If you’re after super cheap and basic lighting, a trip to Poundland will get you a string of LEDs and a battery box. And Ebay and Amazon are a wealth of cheap LED gimmicks that can be re-purposed for modelling.

If you want to go a bit fancier, and are up for it, have a look at the ‘Arduino’ kits that are available. Basic electronic skills are needed, but most of the programs and circuits needed to make simple LED projects can be found on the many Arduino forums.

An Arduino starter kit will cost about £15.

Mart

• Like 2