Junkers D.1 5185/18 from MFJG, Hombeek November 1918

Just got back from overseas to join the fun. I know I still have lots of unfinished stuff to complete, but I just can't resist in not participating in this historic GB.

I will tackle my first Wingnut Wings kit, but chickened out from rigging by choosing the Junkers D.1 :winkgrin:

A latecomer in the Great War with only 40 built, it was a revolutionary design for its time.

D1-1.jpg

The aircraft I am building was one of five abandoned at Hombeek in Belgium and discovered by the Allied inspection team in January 1919. It is speculated that this aircraft did see action before the Armistice.

D1-2.jpg

The Wingnut Wing kit looks very nice and I hope I will do it justice.

D1-3.jpg

But as I am a bit of a resin junky, I will use some detailing sets.

D1-4.jpg

Mainly to enhance the engine as I intend to keep the side panels open.

I keep my fingers crossed to finish this build within the 16 weeks.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 10

On 7/19/2018 at 9:21 PM, stevej60 said:

Great to see a WNW kit entered Peter.

Well, it is about time I have a go at them :winkgrin:

On 7/20/2018 at 5:39 AM, Ozzy said:

That prop looks fantastic.

It does. I had this prop in my stash, but learned that The Junkers D.1 used an Axial made prop and not a Wotan made :wall: But an axial prop is winging its way to me from Russia. :thumbsup:

On 7/20/2018 at 4:01 PM, CliffB said:

"Spark plugs, late type (slim coil)".  So I'm guessing this might be quite a detailed model then? :popcorn:

That is the plan, but boy these resin parts are small :hmmm:

18 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Looks very good Peter.  Would you take a few shots of the engine BEFORE it's installed?  They should prove interesting (at least to me).

Will do, the engine build will take some time as it is a model in a model - and there will be over 40 resin parts added if I use them all. :whistle:

Made a start today in cleaning all the parts used in the cockpit and gluing some sub-assemblies together.

D1-5.jpg

There is some of the best moulding I have seen.

Also spent some time looking how I best build the engine. Removed the BarracudaCast Intake Manifold from the casting block, but wasn't impressed how the asbestos binding was represented, so I decided to use the kit part and add the asbestos binding with masking tape and covered with Mr Surfacer 1000.

D1-6.jpg

Left side is finished and right side show the two steps to add the tape.

And here the comparison with the BarracudaCast part.

D1-7.jpg

D1-8.jpg

The main problem with the BarracudaCast part is the lack of visible binding on the top and these hefty clamps which I can't see on any pictures on engine used with the Junkers D.1

D1-9.jpg

Hope to have more done on the engine after next weekend.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 8

Good to see you're underway Peter and looking forward to seeing you work your magic with the cockpit .....and the rest....hopefully! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 3:36 AM, PlaStix said:

Good to see you're underway Peter and looking forward to seeing you work your magic with the cockpit .....and the rest....hopefully! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix. I too hope that I progress past the cockpit build stage :winkgrin: But the kit is close to perfect and no need to correct anything with little extra detail needed, so I am optimistic to get this kit done in the timeline of this GB.

Talking about details, I did assemble the Taurus resin stuff.

D1-10.jpg

Above the WNW Timing Gear with Lifters and below the Taurus version, which is made up of 25 resin parts. Doesn't look too different to the WNW part, but the details in the Lifters is remarkable when seen close up.

And here the cylinders with the Taurus Valves fitted.

D1-11.jpg

To fit the Intake Manifold Nuts, the holes had to be drilled out with a 1.85mm drill which was a difficult task to get a hole so much larger nicely centered. And it was close to a miracle that I had a 1.85mm drill :)

And here with the Intake Manifold Nuts in place.

D1-11a.jpg

and another 18 resin parts attached, bringing the total to 43

And here all temporally together.

D1-12.jpg

The next step is to add various hole to cater for some additional plumbing and cabling.

I also received the correct propeller. :thumbsup:

D1-13.jpg

These wooden prop made by Proper Plane look sensational. And I was wrong when I said earlier a parcel is winging its way from Russia, These props are actually made in the Ukraine.

That is it for this week.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 6