Airfix 1:72 Tomahawk Mk IIb straight out of the box

Picked this up really cheap ($5), then proceeded to make a bit of a ham fisted job of what should have been an easy build. Well to be fair the building was straight forward - it was the painting that caused be problems. I had problems with the canopy masking, and painting the camouflage. The tin-lid was when I attempted to use a rattle can of Tamiya Matt Clear, I got a a serious case of paint crazing (may be in too much of a hurry?). So thats a few reasons as why she looks a little more beat up and patchy than intended. Still, I think it looks OK on the shelf (from a distance). Brush painted with Tamiya acrylics with a rather excessive oil wash weathering job, finally finished with a brushed on coat of Italeri Acrylic Flat Clear. Thanks for looking.

43502008121_cb4ed93038_b.jpg

42785556514_df6d2693a2_b.jpg

28615696727_6c6444cd7e_b.jpg

• Like 31

6 hours ago, IanC said:

That looks good. I'm always amazed at the success some people have brushing on Tamiya acrylics!

Hear, hear!!!

These pints rank among the most painful to brush paint... Am I glad not to be alone.

My next try is with some flow improver... 

Great model Simon!

Congrats!!!

JR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

Great job, amazing with brush painting. Speaking of which, how many coats did you paint it?

Thanks. Just a couple of thin coats.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:41 PM, jean said:

Hear, hear!!!

These pints rank among the most painful to brush paint... Am I glad not to be alone.

My next try is with some flow improver... 

Try some Vallejo airbrush cleaner. I use that to thin acrylics and they do brush better.

I always used to hand paint with Humbrols, but those days are gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Try some Vallejo airbrush cleaner. I use that to thin acrylics and they do brush better.

I always used to hand paint with Humbrols, but those days are gone.

Hi Ian,

well I am afraid I will have to wait for my next European foray to look for the Vallejo airbrush cleaner... Not sure this animal can be found on the continent I am sitting on at the moment... Maybe South Africa? Worth checking.

I started with Humbrol enamel paints decades ago, and I am still a great fan! The only paints that I ever found any better were the Aeromaster enamels. Still have a few bottles, but maybe I should stop drinking them! Acrylics have never turned me on, but who knows once I start using the flow enhancer or the airbrush cleaner.

Thanks a bunch for the advice.

JR

I wish that my models came straight out of the box like that Simon, mine must have been handled roughly because they are always in bits  ............................

regards,  adey

1 hour ago, adey m said:

I wish that my models came straight out of the box like that Simon, mine must have been handled roughly because they are always in bits  ............................

regards,  adey

😂