Eduard 1/48 F-14A Tomcat

Well its actually HobbyBoss plastic, rebooted by Eduard with some resin goodies and PE thrown in plus a Furball decal sheet

Build is here WIP.  Its a bit of an ongoing thread as Im doing a double build.  This one was done for a friend who requested I build it as if it was about to launch, hence the compressed nose wheel

The HobbyBoss kit has been pushed into the shade a bit by the tamiya kit, but is still worth considering as I found the fit not too bad.  I would put it above the Hasegawa kit for detail and build ability

Thanks for Looking 

Bruce

port overallport upper qtrrear port qtrunderside-2

Edited by pacificmustang
Pics
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 2

Very nice 👍love the weathering

I've got an Academy one half built, the fit is awful on a lot of parts.

In the end I got fed up with filling and sanding, it's like painting the Forth bridge, so I have shelved it as I've lost patience with it

57 minutes ago, pacificmustang said:

a pro

Credit where it's due, Bruce.  If I can ever get my builds even half as good as yours and other skilled plasticeers I see on this site I'll call myself a pro!  :wall:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Very nice 👍love the weathering

I've got an Academy one half built, the fit is awful on a lot of parts.

In the end I got fed up with filling and sanding, it's like painting the Forth bridge, so I have shelved it as I've lost patience with it

My Academy Tomcat went in the bin and I haven't done that in years. Such a bad kit from a company I usually respect. 

7 minutes ago, Wafu said:

My Academy Tomcat went in the bin

Hi Wafu

TBH I think that is where mine will end up at some point as every time I see it I think of how much grief it caused me and modelling is supposed to be fun.......

I still want to build one but don't fancy shelling out £70+ for the Tamiya kit, but the eduard/hobbyboss one seems ok

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Pete said:

Credit where it's due, Bruce.  If I can ever get my builds even half as good as yours and other skilled plasticeers I see on this site I'll call myself a pro!  :wall:

Thanks Uncle Pete.practise makes perfect, I found the thing thst really bought me along was hooking up with some of my friends that I considered far better than myself ( no, not you Calum🤣)

These days you can do the same by watching all the YouTube tutorials out there. I think the other big thing I did was learn to take your time with EVERY  step, seam still showing, refill it, not happy with the paintwork, sand thst hair/dust out and touch up. It took a long time for me to learn  this though! And I still am 

Edited by pacificmustang
  • Like 1

By the way, Bruce, I had a butchers at your WIP thread on this and was surprised you didn't pose the pilot of the launching jet saluting to the kid on the deck to tell him to pull the trigger!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacificmustang said:

Thanks Uncle Pete.practise makes perfect, I found the thing thst really bought me along was hooking up with some of my friends that I considered far better than myself ( no, not you Calum🤣)

These days you can do the same by watching all the YouTube tutorials out there. I think the other big thing I did was learn to take your time with EVERY  step, seam still showing, refill it, not happy with the paintwork, sand thst hair/dust out and touch up. It took a long time for me to learn  this though! And I still am 

That's OK Bruce,  I don't consider you a friend,  hanging around with you is more a public service  :D 

Nice work BTW. It'll look good on a base.

Like the weathering not to over the top (unlike that one we saw recently that looked like someone had had afire on the top of it). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very nice indeed, got to love a tomcat. Especially if it's built to this standard and Jolly Rogers to boot

Edited by Lovely Pig
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

By the way, Bruce, I had a butchers at your WIP thread on this and was surprised you didn't pose the pilot of the launching jet saluting to the kid on the deck to tell him to pull the trigger!

Thanks for all the kind comments people.  Uncle Pete, that is the pose I actually wanted the pilot in, but coolant find any figures like that.  Typical for me, I picked up the Hasegawa USN crew set AFTER I had finished the jet.  I might try and prise that canopy off and retrofit him

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...