Lucky Varnish, Gloss and Ultra Matt

Shar2

Lucky Varnish, Gloss and Ultra Matt

AMMO by Mig Jimenez

pots.jpg

When my colleague Mike reviewed the previous incarnations of these varnishes he found there was a problem with reaction to pain and bubbling. So we had high hopes that the formulation had been changed to prevent this. It would appear that AMMO, have indeed sorted out this problem, only I found another problem. On doing a trial spray at the recommended pressures etc, the gloss went on white and splotchy, whether this was due to the warm temperatures we are currently experiencing in the UK on not, I do not know. I also tried the matt varnish and while it went on better, but still reacted to the underlying paint., When dry it had lightened the paintwork to a dull white sheen. See attached photos, gloss on the left, matt on the right.

test1.jpg

Wet

test2.jpg

Dry

Conclusion

Now, I love AMMO products, I use their paints and scenics almost exclusively without any problems at all, and have always had superb results, so it’s a bit surprising they cannot get these varnishes right, in fact there is something very wrong with these products, as even I can’t get them this wrong.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.png

• Sad 1

I also have had issues with this product but mine was the Satin version. I tried brushing a layer on a test piece then after leaving it for over 48 hours I tried adding another coat with a brush. Unfortunately the second layer started to reactivate the previous layer causing it to peel off like a skin.

29742061958_7281070edc_b.jpg

I contacted the company by email explaining the issue accompanied by the above photo. I was told that it could have been from a faulty batch and they were getting a new formula in, which would be tested and I would be informed of the results. If this batch was better they would replace my bottle, if not I could have another item as compensation. I have not heard back for over a month. The last email I received confirmed they had received a new batch but they hadn't managed to find time to test it out yet.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:26 AM, colin said:
On 7/25/2018 at 10:26 AM, colin said:

Looks like they didn't bother to test it and just sent them out anyway.

I'll stick with Winsor and Newton at least I know they work

I bought some Windsor and Newton today and they didnt have the normal bottles but they had "tubs" instead hopefully it is the same product

Winsor & Newton Galeria, I thin with deionised water with their matt varnish and get a lovely matt finish. I have also used Tamiya X20A thinner, but was told they work better with just water.Make sure you mix the varnish well before use