Xtradecal sheet X72027 USAFE Phantoms: a questio

lasermonkey

Hi all,

Having reached the stage where the first of my East Anglian Phantoms needs painting, I thought I'd have a closer look at the decal sheet which is providing the markings. Given that I have a fair few F-4Cs, Ds and RF-4Cs, I'll probably use the entire sheet.

I was looking at the placement  guide for 69-0381 (incorrectly depicted as 65-0381) and noticed that there are no stencil type stars'n'bars bars for it. Looking further, it seems like there are a number of missing decals, as the numbers on the sheet only go up to 85, when the placement guide shows decals numbered up to 93 (at least). 

Am I missing an addendum sheet, or are all the sheets like this? I thought I'd ask before hassling Hannants!

Cheers,

Mark.

My copy has an addendum sheet with the stars 'n' bars, unit badges, pin stripes for the nose, a set of AR tail codes and the wrong serials, again. :doh: But at least with two sets of serials you can cut the 6's from one set and put them upside down to make 9's.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that, Pete. I shall shoot a polite email off to Hannants.

Its a shame that the other errors (wrong gear door number for 65-0502 and missing crew name panel, just off the top of my head) weren't seen to as well, but never mind.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi @Creepy Pete I've just had a reply from Hannants and they say that none of their 72-072 sets have any addendum sheets. I'm inclined to think that they have maybe forgotten to get them printed! Would it be at all possible to snap a quick photo of the addendum sheet, so I can prove to them that they did include them at some point and maybe prompt them to do some more? I'm starting to get a bit miffed that I may well end up not being able to do '381 as advertised!

Cheers,

Mark.

Along with the missing items, there are several errors that I know of:

64-0864 is an F-4C. Black anti-glare panel on nose not shown on the instructions.

64-0911 is an F-4C.

64-0856 is an F-4C and should have a blue fin cap.

66-7502 has the wrong nose gear door number (it's blue 615 on the sheet, should be red 502) and is missing the prominent crew name panel on the nose.

69-0381 is incorrectly depicted as 65-0381. It has a modified Euro 1 scheme where only the Tan 30219 was replaced with the grey, leaving the two original greens as is. The camouflage pattern shown on the instructions is incorrect too, as it has the two greens transposed.

I'm not sure whether it's an error or not, but the only photo I have seen of 65-0659 shows it in the standard SEA scheme, not the "3-tone green" scheme.

Cheers,

Mark.

21 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

@PhantomBigStu this is the only photo I have seen of 65-0659 whilst serving with the 48th. This isn't to say there aren't any other photos, it's just the only one I've managed to find so far!

43587236661_7434ecc8fc_b.jpg

Hope this helps,

Mark.

Well that certainly does look like SEA tan, I shall safely paint it as such, cheers :)