Wallejo premium airbrush paint dosen't like edges

James Fergusson

I am a newbie at this, returned to modelling after a break of about 55+ years. So, I have a lot to learn.

Airbrushing a 1932 ford street rod. I have prepped the surfaces by sanding, up to 3000 grit and then applied an almost wet coat of Tamiya surface primer (2 coats).

When airbrushing the top coat (Vallejo premium Candy red) it receded from the edges. I have seen the same problem with house paints ( house painting) , a little sanding of the edges fixed the problem.

Is there an issue with tamiya primer and vallejo that anyone knows of. The primer was thinned 1:2. Haven't had this problem with other brands.

cheers guys

Water based paints have this issue I think. Their adhesion isn't great so they need special care when applying. Do some mist coats for the first passes and then you can build up (slowly or you'll end up with orange peel). Or just switch to solvent based paints and you won't have to bother with it.

thanks to both of you guys for a prompt reply, I'm just getting used to to blogs like britmodeller and to date have been a little shy and afraid of making a fool of myself. Yes i did apply too quickly and small runs appeared. Am going to repeat the process today. I am very jealous of the brush skills in Pameinos video, I am a long way from that, just lots of practice needed.

What size needle and what is the air pressure used in the demo ?......cheers jimbo

• 7 months later...

As mentioned above I find multiple thin, light coats best with acrylics. I can remember doing 12 coats on one wooden model I made. That was on top of 3 layers of primer and light sanding in between. It's worth the effort to get a nice finish.

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2018 at 10:04 AM, James Fergusson said:

little shy and afraid of making a fool of myself.

Never ever feel fear to ask a question on this site, these guys are phenomenal, and more over, very patient to answer any questions that arise with details, examples and even video links. The only stupid question is the one you did not ask. Besides, I am the resident fool anyway, I will ask what ever crazy silly question pops in my head. My suggesting to you as a returning modeler (like I am, my last build was in the 1980's), search for the model you are about to build, find build logs by other modelers. If you take your time and read up on the kit you have, it will save you a lot of headache and heartaches, as these guys will point out along the way what, if any, problem areas there are and how they go about building that specific kit. This is invaluable information. If you find yourself in a jam, find a build log and ask that builder how they overcame the issue, most guys would be more than happy to share their secrets.

As for airbrushing, practice makes perfect as they say. My advice for this, choose your paint brand to start with, research how people thin it and approximate pressures used. Then try it and adjust to your liking/results. One good thing about acrylics is the fast drying time if done in thin layers. One bad aspect, it is often times difficult to see where the paint is being laid down, I have this problem often. Oblique lighting can help, getting a lighting set-up that works for your eyes. If you build up thin layers, you will avoid the pitfalls of laying down to heavy a coat.

Finally, if you have a question you are uncomfortable asking in the forums, send me a PM, I will ask anything at all, and take the heat for it as well!

Cheers, happy modeling,

Anthony