F-101B/CF-101B/RF-101B Voodoo (KH80114) - 1:48 Kitty Hawk

Julien

F-101B/CF-101B/RF-101B Voodoo (KH80114)

1:48 Kitty Hawk

aa.jpg

Delays to the USAF WS-201 interceptor programme lead to calls for an interim aircraft to be brought into service, a design programme which was eventually won by McDonnell using the original F-101 Voodoo as the basis for the new aircraft. Some major modifications were need to the front of the aircraft to accept a twin cockpit, the large radar and a means to carry air-to-air weapons. The new aircraft was designated the F-101B by the Air Force though the manufacturer suggest the F-109.  The new aircraft would also get more powerful engines with longer afterburners. To do away with airframe design changes the longer afterburners simply extended from the airframe.

Weapons carriage for the new aircraft was also something new, in the form of a rotating weapons pallet under the main fuselage. The original missile of choice was the AiM-4 Falcon. Two  semi active radar homing missiles, and two infra red guiding missiles were carried, one each on either side of the pallet as it was practice to fire one of each at the target. Later on the aircraft would gain the Nuclear tipped Rocket the AIR-2 Genie. In this case two Genies were carried on one side of the pallet and two infra red Falcons on the other side. 479 F-101Bs were built in the end, many more then the original A and C model. The only export customer would be the Canadian Air Force who designated the aircraft the CF-101B.

As a final end to the Voodoo story in the early 1970s the USAF identified a gap in their reconnaissance capabilities ad a plan was put in place to mount three KS-87B cameras and two AXQ-2 TV camera in the aircraft in place of its weapons and radar equipment. 22 former Canadian aircraft were converted to the RF-101B role. These serves with the 192d Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron of the Nevada Air National Guard. In practice it was found that operating only 22 aircraft in this role was prohibitively expensive even for the USAF and they had a short service life. 

The Kit

This is an extension of the original Voodoo kit from Kitty Hawk, and like that kit is modular in nature. Construction does not start with the cockpit but the intakes and engines. The intake trunking is built up with representable fan front and their handed intake bullets. Also built up at this time are the other end of the engines the exhausts. There is a rear part and on engine ring to insert. The intakes and exhausts are then placed in the lower half of the fuselage centre section. The heat shielded part of the rear fuselage is also added to the centre section at this time. The top of the centre fuselage section can then be added on. At the rear the large extending afterburner sections are built up ad added, along with the rudder, tailplanes, arrestor hook, and rear airbrakes. 

b.jpg

Construction then moves onto the wings. Into the top part of the wing is added the 4 part main gear & wheel along with the inner face of the wheel well. Once the gear is in the lower wing can be added along with the air brake which sits behind the gear. As the front part of the wing also forms the air intake the boundary layer splitter is added. The wings can then be added to the centre section fuselage along with the two part tail (split left/right).  The flaps and main gear doors are then fitted 

f.jpg

g.jpg

For those missing it construction now moves to the cockpit. The four part seats are built up and PE belts are added. Instrument clusters are built up, and rudder pedals added. The housing for the Air-2-Air ID light must also be added at this time. Even if the modeller does not want to open the panels for the front avionics bay it must be built up at this time.  The front gear, and gear bay must then be built up. The cockpit section then first on top of the gear bay with the avionics bay forming part of this module. To the rear of this module is fitted the bay for the rotating weapons pallet and to door is also fitted in at this time. The instructions would have you build the missiles at this time, but I'm sure these can be left until later. In the kit there are 2 IR Falcons, 2 SARH Falcons, and 2 Genies.  The complete cockpit/gear bay/weapons pallet module is the put inside the front fuselage halves, The instrument panels and coamings are then added. 

c.jpg

To finish up the front and main fuselages are brought together. If making the F-101B then the flat panel is placed under the front fuselage section, and if doing the RF-101 then the camera system is placed here. The canopy is added. The panels for the avionics bays can be added in the open or closed positions. The drop tanks can the be added.  Its worth noting that the profile for the RF-101B is wrong in that it shows the aircraft armed when in fact the weapons pallet was deleted. In addition there seems to be no replacement panel for the weapons pallet if making the RF-101.

d.jpg

e.jpg

h.jpg

Decals

The decals are sharp, i register and look colour dense. One US aircraft is shown though in Grey FS16440 and in Silver? I was on the understanding all Voodoos were ADC Grey?

i.jpg

From the box you can build one from RF-101B, one CF-101B, and three F-101Bs. The 60th FIS is shown as FS16440 but these aircraft were ADC grey FS14673. There is also one NMF example which seems to be unusual?  

• 60th FIS, USAF
  • 136th FIS, USAF
  • 437th FIS, USAF
  • 17395 409 Sqn "Nighthawks" Royal Canadian Air Force.
  • RF-101B 59-0434 192d Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, Nevada Air National Guard.

j.jpg

Conclusion

The plastic looks great, and aside form a couple of issues with the RF version should build from the box into a great model. Highly recommended 

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

Available soon from major hobby shops

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Looks like the first and last of your sprue photos show the new parts. I hope the new front end fits better that that on their F-101A and I hope the open panels on the nose fit in the close position.

Thanks for the review, it has helped me make my mind up  regarding purchasing said beast..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sebastien said:

Hi Julien,

Do the fuel tank decals indicate any form of pancreatic cancer like on the single seater ?

Cheers,

S.

Hi, not sure what you mean?

3 minutes ago, Julien said:

The stencils are the same. If it bothers you just dont use them.

Julien

No, they don't bother me, they make the tank look suitably busy.

They're just funny, you know.

Cheers,

S.

The radar maintenance access doors fit quite well in the closed position.  If you build the recon version they will be built closed as the recon version had the radar equipment removed.  The recon version is also shown with armament.  The rotating missile door was removed on the recon version.  That is a big miss on Kitty Hawks part.  Also if you build a natural metal finish bird leave the infrared ball off and use the plain top cover.  All NMF birds were painted before 1965 and the mod which gave IR tracking capability came out in the middle of 65-at least in our squadron.  I've built one of these and the fit was very good.  The 101 A/C got some bad reviews for fit problems.  I haven't used any filler.  One problem I had was with a very thin and fragile canopy.  I put too much pressure on it and cracked it lengthwise so I've got another kit coming.. Here is a NMF 101B from Hamilton AFB in 1964 before it was painted.  Notice no IR dome.  Also notice the landing lights are offset from each other.  Also notice the lack of slime lights.  I believe this also applies to the recon 101B as there are no place to put the light on the recon version radar bay doors.

Hamilton_AFBF-101_BBen_ABrown.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wjkunert said:

The radar maintenance access doors fit quite well in the closed position.  If you build the recon version they will be built closed as the recon version had the radar equipment removed.  The recon version is also shown with armament.  The rotating missile door was removed on the recon version.  That is a big miss on Kitty Hawks part.  Also if you build a natural metal finish bird leave the infrared ball off and use the plain top cover.  All NMF birds were painted before 1965 and the mod which gave IR tracking capability came out in the middle of 65-at least in our squadron. 

Thanks for the info on the NMF Version, I do believe I mentioned the isses with the RF version in the review.

Julien

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found a photograph on The Modeling News review of the KH 101B of a recon version of the 101B that has slime light so they were installed on the converted CF 101B's that were sent to Nevada.  Here is a URL of the review.  It's worth looking at as he tapes the parts together to check parts fit.  http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/07/dry-fit-review-gary-pieces-together.html#more

• 5 weeks later...

Currently working on mine for a well-known model magazine, and there are areas I am impressed with and other I'm like, err what on earth.

I'm sure when it is finished it will look fantastic, but I really do not get Fitty Hawk's logic around the idea to split most of their aircraft kits fuselage's into multi-part assemblies 

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget the extra tiny clear sprue (which is in both my copies). It includes the clear cover for the ID light on the left front nose, and a welcome clear replacement for the fin tip trailing edge light cover, replacing the idiotic grey part E16. However, they moulded the RIO's windshield in grey, which needs to be clear. (Aires?) 

Sadly this was omitted from the more recent RF-101C boxing (absent in both my copies), so it's back to whittling clear sprue for the fin tip light. (Please Aires!) 

Also need the SAGE twin antennae for the aft ventral offset shoe. (C'mon Aires, add it to a scoops Quickboost set!)

Tony 

• 3 weeks later...

And I have 3 Monograms !! Plus the resin conversion for the RF….

Well !

I think that I'll stick to my old plan ! the resin conversion cost me the price of 2 Monogram kits !

Now, I may buy one KH as well...

Thank for your reviews Julien !!

Greatly appreciated !!

Sincerely.

CC

The decal which frames the ID light on the left fuselage is made backwards so it won't work.  It would have to be put on printed side against the aircraft.  The fit of the canopy hinge is poor.  The two lugs on the cockpit are too close together.  Overall not a bad kit.  I built mine with flaps closed as I've not seen a 101B on the ground with flaps open.  The supports for the radar bay doors are almost impossible to keep from breaking.  I cut off a sewing needle of the proper size to the required length and used it instead.  It will also make the bay doors stronger.  The angle of attack transducer arms on both bay doors seem to be shown incorrectly on the plans.  Compare a picture of the unit on an aircraft to KH instructions.  I cut out the grey portions of the clear barrier between the pilot and rio and cut some thin clear plastic to make it transparent.

Edited by wjkunert
  • Like 1

I'm building this kit at the moment and pretty much almost finished

It is lucky I'm building it for someone else and not a kit I've purchased myself as it would have gone straight into the trash. It is a horrible beast of a kit which should not have been rushed out as quickly as it has,

* Injector pin marks in the most stupid of locations and angles that masking cleaning and sanding near on impossible unless you want to sand off all the detail

* Undersized and poor quality decals

* A canopy that doesn't fit

* Fuselage break down completely ridiculous

* Completely over engineered 

My advice to anyone that is thinking about purchasing this kit, do not buy it. If you already have it, sell it on eBay and use the money to purchase the old monogram/Revell kit and detail it with aftermarket and re-scribe all the panel lines yourself as it will be a whole lot easier. 

Quite simply the worst kit I've built in the last 10 years.

What makes this worst, is I need to reword everything above into a magazine review to highlight the kit in a positive light, wish me luck.

10 hours ago, thepureness said:

What makes this worst, is I need to reword everything above into a magazine review to highlight the kit in a positive light, wish me luck.

If it is as bad as you say (it did not look like that from the box, but thats from the box) then tell it as it is in the article. I have had to review a couple of Turkeys over the years and if its bad, its bad. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thepureness said:

Quite simply the worst kit I've built in the last 10 years.

a magazine review to highlight the kit in a positive light, wish me luck.

Why,what's the point of a review if you are only going to mislead the readership. This only confirms what most of us already know that reviews in commercial magazines are a crock.

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, spaddad said:

Why,what's the point of a review if you are only going to mislead the readership. This only confirms what most of us already know that reviews in commercial magazines are a crock.

It is more along the lines of "finding the positives" of the kit and not lying about it

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that modelers always build 101s with the flaps down.  I worked on 101Bs for 3 years and I don't recall seeing a bird on the line with flaps down.  I think you would be hard pressed to find a picture of a 101 on the ground with flaps down.

3 minutes ago, wjkunert said:

I have noticed that modelers always build 101s with the flaps down.  I worked on 101Bs for 3 years and I don't recall seeing a bird on the line with flaps down.  I think you would be hard pressed to find a picture of a 101 on the ground with flaps down.

I have a picture of one, but it' 'stuffed and mounted'. As you say, they were parked 'flaps up'. I don't get this modellers 'all hanging out'. Like panel lines scribed and pre-shaded where they are flush and clean in real life.

• Like 3