RIAT 2018 Sunday - Updated

planehazza

15 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I'm not surprised that you're happy with your first attempt other than a smart phone! My favourite is the A400M. What equipment are you using?

I borrowed a camera and lens from the Photography dept (one of the perks of working in a big highschool). The camera is a Nikon D3300 and I'm trying to find the details of the lens (I've returned it).  I basically had the camera on auto mode for the statics with a smaller lens (that I believe came with the camera as a kit) and had the faster aerial shots in sports for the preset faster shutter. This is really the extend of my understanding; I get what shutter speed and ISO are but don't really know when to apply different settings etc.  

I started off with manual zoom but fairly quickly realised that I couldn't get the precision needed to perfectly focus it (the lens has been WELL used apparently) so I change to AF. It wasn't until about 5 displays in that I realised I'd caught the macro mode by mistake so a lot of my early shots are pretty poor.  The auto focus did my head in. You'd have what look like a perfectly focused shot in the viewfinder, then you'd press the button down to the second detent to shot only to hear 'zzzzzzzzzz  zzzzzzzzz' as the camera focuses out and in again. Missed a few shots due to that unfortunately.  

I guess it's the age old question of how much do you want to spend, but what would you recommend a beginner like me that would like to take the occasional photograph? I'd love a good lens to take up close aerial shots, and one for good static or out and about photos.  I get the impression stretching to £1k is completely the wrong way to go about it and that £1k is probably more like a starter price :(

EDIT: Lens is a Sigma Pro 70-300mm

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 1