"Here's Johnny"

this is going to be the iconic scene from the movie The Shining where Jack smashes through the door with a fire axe and is in 1/6 scale 

the doorway was built by a very talented friend of mine called Jason and and the head is a resin one from eBay 

More bridge escapes and walking dead/ shining

Here's the door with a coat of rattle can grey primer on it ready for painting

2017-12-09 16.10.23

There are actually 2 heads, the one that goes into the door has been cut down and this complete one but I'm only painting the one for the door right now

20180130_173806

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

I got a base flesh colour down and layed on some red tones with very highly thinned paint, painted the whites of his eyes in Ivory, the mouth got a bit of Vallejo red wash and his eyebrows were painted in with thinned back brown

he looks pretty shocking at this stage lol

With the untouched head as a comparison 

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 6

Teeth painted in. They look very white in the picture but I used Vallejo ivory and in hand his smile isn't so "Hollywood" 

started to define his lips a bit too

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 7

the stubble added and inside the mouth and teeth were glossed. hair is being blocked in here too.

lots of tones added to the skin with very thinned paint to try and get a realistic texture and some semi gloss clear sprayed here and there to give a bit of sheen and sweaty look

You can just make out that the back of poor Jack's head is missing in this one

The eyes need painting in and I will go in with a fine brush to tidy the transition of the hairline to the skin but the face is pretty much finished

Ive swapped the pics for higher resolution ones, they are the same images but will be a bit clearer and no doubt show the flaws in my paint lol 

Edited by Brundledonk
Swapping images for higher res
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

How did you do the stubble.....The more I look at it, the more real it seems.  B)

Will you paint the eyes or use decals (if it's the former I'd love to see a step by step)?  :shrug:

I used really highly thinned black and dark grey as a glaze and built up the intensity with multiple layers but again the quality of the sculpt really helped as the stubble is very well rendered on the face so it wasn't too hard to get the effect.

this pic shows the sculpted stubble quite well and I think I've just started to add a couple of layers starting from the jaw line and working up. The glaze naturally builds up around the hairs and at the end I do a kind of dry brush with black just to pick up some raised detail

As for the eyes my first thought was to paint them but I sent some pics to my friend Jason and he mentioned archer eye decals and that kind of made me doubt myself lol. They are around 6 pounds plus a couple of quid postage from Historex so not expensive amd you get around a 100 but it seems a lot just for The pair I need for this so I'll more than likely just paint them in 

and if I do and it works out well I'll do a step by step

Pete

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I tidied the hairline a little bit and have also painted the other head I didn't take any pics of the hairline but you can see it in this pic

Practice makes perfect as I think I made a better job of the stubble and eyebrows second time around

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

Only their mother could tell them apart lol

The diorama got a bit of a dusting  with the remnants of a rattle can of white primer I had kicking around the cave

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

then I brush painted over the woodwork with an off white mix of Vallejo paints

29744786958_92c3c9aa31_b.jpg

Just one coat on the door so far and this won't be the final colour, I just want to add some brush strokes as it will look to smooth just sprayed on. I'll add anothe coat or two by brush and then break out the airbrush to finish it off but I'm intentionally avoiding a perfect finish

28727410077_610f326bed_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

OMG - That looks 'real' - officially I do not think I have ever seen anything look that real.  I'm off to lie down - until I calm down.

8 minutes ago, BIG X said:

OMG - That looks 'real' - officially I do not think I have ever seen anything look that real.  I'm off to lie down - until I calm down.

hehehe, it can be quite jarring how realistic these headsculpts are but as I've said above the quality of the sculpting has a big part in this

Pete

• Like 1

I'm using screen grabs of the scene from the movie as reference and the room on this side of the door where Wendy locks herelf in to try and keep Jack out is a bathroom that is half tiled. I'll upload some grabs to Flickr later and post them so you can see what I'm talking about but for now you'll just have to take my word for it. 

Cut some styrene sheet and scribed 1 inch squares for 6 inch tiles and used some scrap for a border and styrene rod for the capping

42710829705_7fd8779682_b.jpg

28727409997_69bb5e20ba_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

A bit of paint and wash in the grout lines ( they are this manky in the movie ) 

none of this is glued and its just blu tac holding it for the pics

42710830095_555627e60c_b.jpg

A quick looksee with Jack in place, no eyes as yet ( sorry Sarge ) but they will be done soon.

and I'm going to paint the background behind the head black

41807040060_c763eb8eb0_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

The tiles on the left side of the door are done too

28727408977_060532c44f_b.jpg

Coming together a bit now just one or two coats on the door, paint the handle and a bit of airbrush jiggery pokery along with a bit of weathering and some clear gloss will sort that out and then I can get the walls papered ( I'm not kidding I'm going to wall paper them ) then try and figure out the floor as I'm not sure what to do there

Pete

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Stonking work, but there's an awful lot of scenery and very little Jack in those images.....He looks a bit lost in that hole TBH

Please don't take my criticism the wrong way, your work is at a level I could only dream of emulating, I'm just concerned that the focus of your scene may be lost in such a large backdrop. 

This section alone makes for a more effective composition IMHO:

38666980236_16245b4c54_b.jpg&key=6cf8037

Just that, mounted on a stand (aircraft style), possibly with something from the movie and some text on the base itself?  :shrug:

Just a thought.

Although I admittedly, there probably isn't going to be many 'excessively overdressed, screaming, cowering, knife wielding, female victims' in this scale, it would be good to have the woman figure as part of the display. Or is that the plan?