"Here's Johnny"

On 24 July 2018 at 11:26 PM, junglierating said:

'Effing awesum

Thank you 

14 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

WOW!!!! that head if off the scale, the skin tones are perfect.

I have just ordered my first resin figure that got quite a bit of skin showing, so I might be coming to ask you a millision question on skin paint techniques. 

Not a problem, ask away 

12 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Words fail me....

You're too kind Bonhoff

Pete

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Stonking work, but there's an awful lot of scenery and very little Jack in those images.....He looks a bit lost in that hole TBH

Please don't take my criticism the wrong way, your work is at a level I could only dream of emulating, I'm just concerned that the focus of your scene may be lost in such a large backdrop. 

This section alone makes for a more effective composition IMHO:

38666980236_16245b4c54_b.jpg&key=6cf8037

Just that, mounted on a stand (aircraft style), possibly with something from the movie and some text on the base itself?  :shrug:

Just a thought.

No problem Sarge and I understand exactly what you mean. He does look a little lost in the scene and I think a well lit box diorama with a  cinema style "widescreen" viewing slot would be perfect for this as it would keep Jack as the main focus but also allow the viewer to see a little more of the room if they peeked a bit further inside.

This was designed and built by my friend Jason and I'm just tasked with the painting and is destined to end up on somebody else's shelf. it's a companion piece to this walking dead one I did a while back and is very similar in its layout although the doors are the main focus here. 

20180215_133644

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Gorby said:

Although I admittedly, there probably isn't going to be many 'excessively overdressed, screaming, cowering, knife wielding, female victims' in this scale, it would be good to have the woman figure as part of the display. Or is that the plan?

I have done a few different displays in 1/6 scale that people have put their custom figures on so it could very well end up having a Shelley Duvall as Wendy hiding behind the door 

I Painted a 1/6 scale television set a little while that Jason scratch built ( this one was for me ) and I'm going to be making a Carrie Anne figure for it so I can have a 3D rendition of this

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

More progress but I think you'll be pushed to see much difference in these pictures.

I gave the door another good brushed on coat of my Vallejo off white mix ( Ivory, yellow and white ) to give a more solid base and also give me some hopefully in scale brush marks then out with the airbrush and sprayed with a mix of tamiya gloss and flat white with a tiny bit of buff to knock the colour back

tiles are just laid on to try and show the colour of the "woodwork"

29765782118_8b57f5c904_b.jpg

The sheen on the finish looks about right to me so I don't think I'll need to clear coat it and up close the brush marks still show through the airbrushed paint nicely 

20180725_152608

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

I made a mix for the exposed timber using an old pot of Citadel dark sun Yellow lightened progressively with white until it look right to me old mince pies. I put a sheet of white paper behind the hole to hopefully allow the camera to capture the colour  of the door 

20180725_160316

20180725_160533

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That is amazingly realistic.....Fascinated to see how you will deal with the splintering around the Johnny?  :coolio:

Splintering around the Johnny will be dealt with in a very delicate manner 😂

• Haha 2

Starting to add some grime and wear and tear to the door

20180725_164643

Im using Vallejo umber, black and pale grey washes for this mixing as I go and using water to vary the intensity of the effect. 

20180725_164600

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

I'm trying my hardest to not overdo it but no doubt I will lol, but it will be easy to fix by going back in with the airbrush and soften under some off white mix

20180725_164730

Still need to add some to the architrave and get the handle and hinges painted too

42731851595_d20fdd440c_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

For the walls I'm going to try and use this lining paper

43588146332_9eea113541_b.jpg

A very quick and rough test ( literally just bodged on here ) and I reckon if I can get it cut neatly and stuck on with no drama it will look pretty good 

43634795171_0e5d53e2a5_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

Before I forget here's one of the screen grabs i'm using for reference.

this shows me I need to go two tiles higher and also that Jay forgot to add a bolt to the door lol. The tiles I can manage but not sure I'm up to the bolt so may have to get Jason to knock one up and I can paint it and glue it on at the end.

You can see how manky those grout lines are too

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

On 26 July 2018 at 12:21 PM, Darby said:

It's your own doing!

This is very true I'm creating my own bad dreams with this and I think the next project will have to be a telly tubby diorama to counteract it

Pete

Sorry to Sarge these aren't painted but are decals so no step by step. Jason the builder of the diorama bagged them for me as there is every likelihood that there will be mutiples of these made and using decals will keep things nice and consistent and also save me a bit of time

these are Archer decals and there are a few different colours and sizes on the sheet, with and without catch lights the ones I used are the green ones and around 2mm dia. Easy to put on but a little tricky to cut to the shape of the eye

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gimme Shelter said:

OMAG - that's a fantastic scene and bust you have going on there - love the iris decals too, something I did not know existed

looking forward to seeing it all complete

Thanks mate, 

yes the decals are great and help to take away the anxiety  of stuffing up the paint job with a slip of the brush if painting them in but in all honesty painting them by hand into the corners like that wouldn't be too bad I don't think  as only a quadrant needs to show so less likely to make him boss eyed, but that being said I'm glad i didn't have to do it lol

Pete 

Handle and hinges time and in the screen grabs it looks like a worn and tarnished brass.

i used Alclad jet exhaust as the base colour

43019935214_50d5ee3e46_b.jpg

Lightly over painted with aluminium ( there is texture on the flat plate from the primer but this kind of worked out to my advantage at the end )

43736561351_269a46363f_b.jpg

And finally pale burnt metal which has a nice gold tone to it

43688423202_600d16fa09_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

Masking off and here's the result. The texture on the plate looks heavy in the pic but to the eye the effect is quite pleasing so a happy accident methinks

42832121035_de504419b7_b.jpg

Hinges were done the same way ( sorry for the out of focus picture )

29865358538_61d3ba58a6_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 5

And a close up of Jack  looking suitably manic and sweaty ( I've sprayed the background behind his head since this was taken but it wasn't dry enough to take a pic with him in place )

Eyes done no gloss yet

Im very nearly done with this now and just need to do the wallpaper and the floor. I don't think the floor will be too bad but I'm not looking forward to cutting the paper as I reckon it's going to be a pain to get cut accurately so I'll wait until tomorrow and give it a go

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 8