Northrop N-3PB, 1/48 scale resin kit.

Artie

Good evening :

Now our most challenging project so far, the Supermarine Scimitar, is due to be delivered in a few days, we're proud to announce another long term project wich will se the light in about two months.

I'm talking about one of the most beautiful floatplanes ever made, the Northrop N-3PB, in 1/48 scale. We hope you'll like it. We are starting the preliminary parts design. We've scheduled a two months deadline, so it will be ready for delivery by early september, hopefully.

Best regards.....

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Artie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry that this is so blurred, I took it from a youtube footage.

It proves how wrong color interpreters can be, the codes are clearly black not red ...

3NuzTuv.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dragonlanceHR said:

LOL. I finally get my hands on the vac kit and now you announce the resin one?

Hurry up, you've got about two months to finish it...!!!!!!😂

Seriously talking, I 've spent some years trying to get one of those vacuforms, and giving the prices they used to reach (If you ever found one), we decided to scratchbuild one.....

Bestregards...

• Like 2

AAARRGGGHHHHH...been waiting for an affordable 1/48 kit of this aircraft for YEARS and, naturally, when it gets announced I'm absolutely stoney broke!  This is gut-wrenching!!!!

Ok...I'm done with the pity-party.  I sincerely hope this is a success.  The N-3PB is such a beautiful aircraft.  Maybe I'll be lucky and scrounge together enough shekels to get in at the cheaper price.  Time to take up a second job, methinks!

Hi, Hub.......What about the Narval...????? Did it arrive safe and sound..??? Do you like it..??? If there's any problem with the kit, just tell me....If you need any other part wich may result damaged, don't hesitate to ask...

Best regards, and thank you very much for your support and trust.

Narval arrived fine! Working up an inbox review to post here(in the Narval thread since I can't find how to post one in the Review thread) still waiting on the English instructions or the Spanish instructions in a Word document to use translation software on. Very pleased with what I have seen in the box. Won't be an especially easy build due to the twin booms and such but the high quality casting will certainly help!

Just remember to check the drawings of the pedestals between floats and wing against photos, they have been made too short in some of the earlier kits, possibly because they were based on drawings showing an earlier version than what was actually built - they needed more room under the fuselage for torpedoes and other weapons.

We've got a set of drawings from an old IPMS Norway vacuform kit, and some other scale plans wich seem OK. Unfortunately, that vacuformed kit was built long ago, and sadly passed away during a move, so can't check those drawings against a real model. Maybe purchasing the Special Hobby 1/72 kit woul be a good idea, just to get the measures.

Not much info about that plane, in fact....

There is a restored N-3PB in Flysamlingen at Oslo Airport: https://www.flysam.no/utstillingen/flyene/northrop-n-3pb/

It is probably a better reference than kits and not too difficult to access.

There is a booklet by Cato Guhnfeldt on the N-3PB that was released at the time of the restoration which I consider the best documentation on the aircraft.

Guhnfeldt, Cato. Sagaen om de norske Northrop-flyene på Island (in Norwegian). Oslo: Sem&Stenersen, 1981. ISBN 978-82-7046-025-0.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_N-3PB

I can put together a package on an FTP server on the N-3PB when I get released from hospital, in best case a few weeks from now.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Released - https://www.facebook.com/groups/695711033832473/permalink/2336418526428374/

Here is my open box review of my recently received Scratchaeronautics 1/48 Northrop N3PB.

Prior to placing my pre-order for this kit, I had at one time or another the rare out of production vacuform 1/48 kits from The Aviators, IPMS Norway, and sold them. I regreted selling them, and hoped someone would consider marketing a new 1/48 Norhrop N3PB.

Much to my surprise, I realized Scratchaeronautics was planning to do just that! Pre-orders were being taken, so I didn't hesitate to do so.

That was in July 2018. I received my order, yesterday.

Here is what you get:

- Nicely cast resin parts
- One clear vacuformed canopy with framing detail
- One decal sheet (perhaps printed on a ALPS printer)

The nicest resin cast piece, is the engine cowling, which has the engine integrated into the casting! Some careful cleanup is necessary around the two exhaust pipes, and the sides of the cowling itself, there is some resin flash to be dealt with.

There are no pins/holes to help attach the wings, horizontal stabilizers, pylons/pontoons, etc. I plan to create sturdy pins, and to drill holes, to attach all of these items.

The cockpit needs improvement, you are provided two different size seats, and a instrument panel, but other than this it will look empty.

I also noticed, the wheels, and pontoon rigging/struts to allow the aircraft to sit on land, are not provided!

Get out all of your reference materials, pictures, to guide you through this build. There are no paint colors suggested for either the interior or exterior.

This Scratchaeronautics resin kit, is a good starting point. With some tender loving care, it looks like I will finally have my Northrop N3PB to add to my collection.

51375044.jpg

50872830.jpg

50856795.jpg 51121239.jpg

51495969.jpg 51010812.jpg

50938136.jpg 50781367.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

If wishes were horses
Beggars would ride.
If turnips were watches
I would wear one by my side.
And if if’s and an’s were pots and pans,
The tinker would never work!

James Orchard Halliwell circa 1840

Well, I wish this beauty were available, anyway. I've thought it one of the best looking airframes since I first spotted it in my Dad's Aircraft of the Fighting Powers, long, long ago. And I've got a soft spot for floatplanes.

On 27/08/2021 at 05:13, Maginot said:

Well, I wish this beauty were available, anyway. I've thought it one of the best looking airframes since I first spotted it in my Dad's Aircraft of the Fighting Powers, long, long ago. And I've got a soft spot for floatplanes.

Hi Maginot,

Well, Scratchaeronautics 1/48th NP-3B kit seems to be available again: 80,00 EUR +P&P - see msg herebelow.

Just PM: Artie or Arturo Navarro Diaz !

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/3171-artie/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/695711033832473/posts/5939033339500190

https://www.facebook.com/arturo.navarrodiaz.319

Arturo.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1